Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Engine rebuild, and new dyno results - help requested

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine rebuild, and new dyno results - help requested

Alright guys, so my car was dyno tuned last night, and the result was 189.3 WHP. NOT AS MUCH as I was expecting unfortunately. Maybe if we put a couple good HT brains to this, we can come up with why.

FIRST TUNING TIME (before engine head rebuild)
Initial run - 165WHP, tuned with VAFC2&FPR to 180.2WHP
4+ bent valves, valve guides f*cked
jdm pistons
2 layer headgasket
spoon camgears (set to 0)
skunk2 springs & retainers
AEM CAI
Crane plug wires
STOCK exaust and USDM header/cat

SECOND TUNING TIME (after engine head rebuild)
Iniitial run - 178WHP (untuned), then tuned with VAFC2 & FPR & CAMGEARS to 189.3WHP
SAME MODS AS ABOVE, PLUS:
fresh new 16 skunk2 forged valves
head resurfaced
new valve guides
3 angle valve grind/fitting into head
skunk2 vtec stage 2 cams

My big question, is if the first time we managed to tune it from 165whp to 180whp; why couldnt we see 200whp after the head rebuild & cams? (when the base run -untuned- was 178whp already)

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Old 12-21-2006, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Engine rebuild, and new dyno results - help requested (Andrew Sutherland)

it doen't really work like that, I see what you are saying, but you must consider other factors as well, it temp of the day, and such. you gained 11+ hp, which is a respectable amount. From your mods, it seems like you fixed things that needed to be fixed, and then added skunk stage 2 cams right? You need a good header and exhaust, which will complement you cams well. search for headers on here and you'll find the faves. 200whp is possible, you just need better pipes.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those numbers aren't unrealistic at all.. throw a hytech or smsp header on and watch the numbers you get after that.

Skunk2 stage 2 cams aren't THAT big of an upgrade on their own
Old 12-21-2006, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine rebuild, and new dyno results - help requested (donz)

donz > that's exactly what we did. Well, as well the higher compression skunk2 valves.

itrsteez > it wasn't just from the skunk2 cams I was expecting - it was a combination of a higher compression engine and springs/retainers too.

Do I HAVE to get a better exaust system, or can I upgrade just my header/cat? I honestly HATE aftermarket exaust systems. I want to keep it sounding stock unless I'm romping on it.

thanks for the help guys
Old 12-21-2006, 02:12 PM
White Trash Wish Cash

Default Re: (itrSteez)

maybe other engine management?

hondata, crome etc.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine rebuild, and new dyno results - help requested (Andrew Sutherland)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Andrew Sutherland &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">donz &gt; that's exactly what we did. Well, as well the higher compression skunk2 valves.

itrsteez &gt; it wasn't just from the skunk2 cams I was expecting - it was a combination of a higher compression engine and springs/retainers too.

Do I HAVE to get a better exaust system, or can I upgrade just my header/cat? I honestly HATE aftermarket exaust systems. I want to keep it sounding stock unless I'm romping on it.

thanks for the help guys </TD></TR></TABLE>

the compression isn't going to be much higher from a head mill. I think your numbers look accurate if you ask me.

Did you advance your timing and mess with that at all?

And about the header issue you'll open up a lot of power even with a stock catback, I'm with you, I'm going to leave mine stock also. but i've seen amazing numbers come out of hytech and smsp headers, especially after headwork. Ten bucks says if you install either you'll break your 200 barrier no problem
Old 12-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Andrew Sutherland &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thanks for the help guys </TD></TR></TABLE>

A good header will do most of the job, but getting a 2.5" exhaust will also help you out. There are some choices out there that will keep the noise level close to stock.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the twin loop is low key... something to look into.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:40 PM

it looks like the only power adder you put in was the skunk2 cams...now you were tuning the original time with bent valves?
Old 12-21-2006, 02:41 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what type of dyno was this on? where are the dyno sheets?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Was on a dyno dynamics - reason I haven't posted them is because I dont have them yet. Only did this last night. I'll get them up so you can see it all though It made some decent power midrange...

crxgator &gt; Yes, the original 180.2whp was with bent valves.

ITRSteez &gt; Yes, we fiddled with both cam timing and ign timing advancing

Modified by Andrew Sutherland at 4:28 PM 12/21/2006
Old 12-21-2006, 03:13 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Andrew Sutherland)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Andrew Sutherland &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Was on a dyno dynamics - reason I haven't posted them is because I dont have them yet. Only did this last night. I'll get them up so you can see it all though It made some decent power midrange...

crxgator &gt; Yes, the original 180.2whp was with bent valves.

ITRSteez &gt; Yes, we fiddled with both cam timing and ign timing advancing</TD></TR></TABLE>

well the numbers dont seem so bad then since dyno dynamics dyno's reads lower than dynojets, which seems to be the standard most people go by *sigh*
Old 12-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Andy, other day at the dyno eh? Honestly those numbers aren't too far off. What is your static compression with the JDM slugs and H/G? Like 11.3 or something? Your exhaust manifold and piping is certainly holding you back. I hear what you're saying about liking the stock catback but there are options. SMSP or Hytech can do wonders with piping and have it sounding like stock to boot . The S2S2's aren't THAT big of an upgrade. They do like hi-comp though so I'm not sure if yours is high enough to benefit from the cams entirely.

It's a shame when a number is set in your head and that goal isn't reached . I know the frustration. However I got 195.5whp on a Dyno Dynamics after a good tune, with all the bolt-ons and BONE STOCK internals.