Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Clutch clicking revisited

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 07:46 AM
What would Chente do?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch clicking revisited

Hey guys, tried the search and all but i think my noise is different.

Anyways goes like this. IT started a few weeks ago and along with it i noticed that it is not as easy as it used to be to get into 1st gear wether driving slowly or at a stop.

Clutch makes a click/pop upon release of pedal....its only on release and its after about 2" travel. Heres the thing though, its very intermittant. Any of you guys ever had this? Are these the beginning symptoms of a typical R clutch going south.

Like murphy's law..there is never any volunteers around to work the pedal so i can pinpiont the noise. oh well. TIA
Old 12-15-2001, 07:51 AM
New User

Default Re: Clutch clicking revisited (vagoITR)

Mine makes the same noise. I took it into the dealer and they said they couldnt find any problems, so they sent me on my way. Id say take it in to get it checked out. They told me if the problem continues, they would cover it since its been put on paper now.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Clutch clicking revisited (typerlover)

Mine stopped clicking a couple months ago.. I expect it to come back later on though.. It just comes and goes.......
Old 12-15-2001, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch clicking revisited (arren123)

took my car in twice for this problem luis. first time they said it was something rubbing on something else sorry (not very helpful) so they machined it down and it went away for ohh say 20 miutes. 2nd time i took it in, they replaced the whole master clutch cylinder. just keep bugging them, i haven't had the problem since.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:27 AM
CPR

Default Re: Clutch clicking revisited (yellow blur)

Here's my piece

There are two types of "clicking" that Type R owners seem to encounter.

1.) Clicking once or twice when depressing or releasing the clutch. This can be attributed to the spring mechanism on the clutch itself. This one does not call for too much concern.

I met with Floyd from this board a couple weeks back and when he drove my car, he heard the clicking noise in my car. He to had the clicking noise in his car but it was the noise described in #1 above. My clicking noise sounds like how you described it.

2.) It usually happens when the clutch is being depressed/released. It happens right at the engagement point. The click used to happened when releasing the clutch in 1st and 2nd gear. Then it got worse. I would be in 2nd gear slowing down to a stop. It is natural tendency for the car to mildly jerk back in forth when coming to stop and you're in gear. During the jerking motions, (keep in mind that i did not have my foot on the clutch pedal at all), I would hear the same clicking noise.

So I took it to the dealer and they gave me a benefit of a doubt and replaced the clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing under warranty. The technician asked if I was doing 3k rpm launches and I told him that I had never abused the clutch. I was honest and told him that I take it up to redline every now and then but I knew that doing that didn't really endanger the clutch. The sad part is, after 500 miles on the new clutch assembly, I'm starting to hear the click again. I'm going to have it checked out soon. I've been easy on my car since I got it back but to no avail. The click is back but I don't think it's as bad as it was before. Hope that helps.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:06 AM

My 2000 ITR developed a similar clicking noise after ~16.5K miles. The noise mine was making came from the clutch pedal assembly. I was able to see that a metal pin that helps connect the pedal to a hydraulic looking assembly in the firewall was making the clicking noise. I simply took some WD-40 and sprayed around the pin and the noise went away.

Brian
Old 12-15-2001, 09:36 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Clutch clicking revisited (CPR)

The sad part is, after 500 miles on the new clutch assembly, I'm starting to hear the click again. I'm going to have it checked out soon. I've been easy on my car since I got it back but to no avail. The click is back but I don't think it's as bad as it was before.
Ack! That's not good.

When I first got the car, within 10K miles I started to fear a ticking/clicking sound from the clutch pedal wen I pressed it in. Not only could I hear this distinct click sound, but I could really feel it in the pedal. It would come around for a few days, then go away for a while, then come back again. It doesn't always click in the same place, and sometimes there are multiple clicks. I think I can make it worse by applying a little bit of sideways pressure on the pedal as I press it in. I think this sound is coming from inside the cabin and has to do with the lubrication of the pedal hinge, or the return spring or something basic like that.

Then, more recently, I have developed a problem where the clutch will sort of clunk at the top of the pedal when I am releasing it after changing gears. I am also getting vibrations and rumbling sounds in the pedal when I press and release it.

I am having the clutch replaced next week, and I will tell you which of these issues went away, and which are still there.

hydraulic looking assembly in the firewall
That is the master cylinder for the clutch. If you pop the hood, it is right on the other side of the firewall, under the clutch fluid reservoir.

-Floyd
Old 12-15-2001, 12:00 PM
What would Chente do?

Default Re: Clutch clicking revisited (Floyd)

Thanks for the replies guys. The noise is there only on release amd it will happen even if the R is at a dead stop. (this eliminates the rocking motion theory).

If and when it does make the noise...i can keep pushing the pedal in and out and it will make the noise every time upon release.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:19 PM
CPR

Thanks for the replies guys. The noise is there only on release amd it will happen even if the R is at a dead stop. (this eliminates the rocking motion theory).

If and when it does make the noise...i can keep pushing the pedal in and out and it will make the noise every time upon release.
So you're at a dead stop in neutral and you hear the noise when releasing the clutch? Mine never did that.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:05 PM
What would Chente do?

Default Re: Clutch clicking revisited (CPR)

yup, even in nuetral
Old 12-15-2001, 11:29 PM
Def
Honda-Tech Member

It's no Type R, but this sounds EXACTLY like what has happened on my 98 GS since 19k miles. It sounds like a low pitched click/clunk about 50-60% of the way out and only when letting out the clutch pedal. When it does happen, it doesn't matter what speed or gear, and even persists when the car is stopped. It usually goes away after anywhere from a few minutes to even a whole hour or more of a long drive.

It was persistent for a week and I took it to the dealership, but of course it stopped by the time my appointment rolled around(almost a week after the call). So they have it on record as me complaining, yet nothing was done.

It was gone for about a month then returned, and now it just happens on and off and I've got almost 40k miles on the car now. So I guess nothing drastic is wrong with the clutch assembly.

Oh yea, my pedal assembly also clicks from time to time, a bit of WD-40 usually gets rid of it for a few months. It is definitely a different sound, and it definitely comes from the transmission of the car. A few passengers have said it sounds like a throw-out bearing going bad, while others have said it doesn't sound anything like that. I haven't had any first hand problems with manual transmissions before, so I can't say one way or the other.

Over a long time, I've just attributed it to a quirk my car had. No idea that other people might have the same chronic problem.