Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Mr. Indecisive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch noise

My clutch starts to make a kind of sqeaking noise when it is pushed down. Sometimes it wont do it. It engages fine, its a stock clutch in a gsr trans. It did it a few months ago before i finished the swap, but now it seems to do it even more. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what it could be, i just really dont like the sound...
Old 06-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch noise (EJ8VTEC)

sqeaking or more like grinding? also, in gear or in neutral...or both? Does it go away when you press the clutch pedal? Can you feel it on the pedal?
Old 06-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: Clutch noise (civicboisi)

anytime both gear n neautral... whenever i press it it kinda sounds almost like rubbing rubber, its like a squeak noise, i dont think its grinding at all.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it get louder when you let off and you're in neutral? Then go away when you press the clutch in to engage?
Old 06-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Mr. Indecisive

It only does it a very little when i let off the clutch. Every time i push down the cluch however it does it the same once it gets to a point. In the morning it doesnt do it at all, but after driving for a while i guess after it heats up it does it. It may not even be a factor in the winter, im not sure yet, cause like i said it just started not long before i did the swap last month, the same time it started getting warm.
That was also a a stock y8 w/ an ex trans so it must have something to do w/ the cluch, maybe the slave cyl??
Old 06-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there are bearings in your transmission that could wear over time...input shaft bearing, for example, are prone to go bad after awhile. They're not that expensive as a part, just a bit time consuming to install yourself. But then again, diagnosting a problem like this via internet isn't great at all too...
Old 06-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Mr. Indecisive

see it doesnt do it the whole way down just about the 2nd half so i didnt think it was a berring, it would make noise the whole way...
Old 06-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, because my input shaft bearing is going bad too and it's doing it half way on the pedal...it's like a grinding noise when im in neutral, but when i step on the clutch to engage half the way, it'll go away...won't hear it until im completly off the clutch again in neutral...but in gear, i'll hear it when i accelerate to a certain RPM, then it'll go away
Old 06-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Mr. Indecisive

yeah thats what my old trans did, n yes u have a berring prob but this is completely diff. The sound goes away for you cause when you push the clutch down after half way is when it catches and it is dissengaged.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Mr. Indecisive

bump still dont know the deal what this noise is...
Old 07-01-2005, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throw out bearing.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: Clutch noise (JDM-97CX)

dude i really dont think its a berring... i have heard bad berrings b4 n i dont think its that
Old 07-01-2005, 11:48 AM

try lubing the arm where the clutch slave enters the housing. it's back under the rubber cover for the slave, provided you have a hydro clutch.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude i really dont think its a berring... i have heard bad berrings b4 n i dont think its that</TD></TR></TABLE>

You said it is a squeak right? And it is when you depress the clutch right? Well the only thing I can really think of causing that is a throw out bearing.

As a side note I just did a throw out bearing in a friends mustang who swore by all things holy that it wasn't the bearing. When I pulled the car into the shop it sounded like some one stuck a cat in the bell housing. I put it on te lift and pulled the tranny. When I depressed the clutch fork to remove the bearing it broke into god only knows how many pieces.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: Clutch noise (kkim)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kkim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try lubing the arm where the clutch slave enters the housing. it's back under the rubber cover for the slave, provided you have a hydro clutch. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it is hydro, what lube do you recommend?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You said it is a squeak right? And it is when you depress the clutch right? Well the only thing I can really think of causing that is a throw out bearing.

As a side note I just did a throw out bearing in a friends mustang who swore by all things holy that it wasn't the bearing. When I pulled the car into the shop it sounded like some one stuck a cat in the bell housing. I put it on te lift and pulled the tranny. When I depressed the clutch fork to remove the bearing it broke into god only knows how many pieces. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just put the new motor trans in last month, the throwout berring looked fine, ill take a look tho
Old 07-01-2005, 12:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just put the new motor trans in last month, the throwout berring looked fine, ill take a look tho</TD></TR></TABLE>

The outside of the bearing isn't the part I would worry about. But hey what ever.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it is hydro, what lube do you recommend?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Try anything you have handy with a nozzle for now (WD-40 would work) just to see if it gets rid of the noise.

When I had the R, the forum was recommending using a spray lithium grease. I ended up using a teflon based spray lube called Tri Flow.

good luck.. hope it's something as simple as this. The fixes for noises from inside the clutch/tranny can get pretty involved to eliminate.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: Clutch noise (kkim)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kkim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Try anything you have handy with a nozzle for now (WD-40 would work) just to see if it gets rid of the noise.

When I had the R, the forum was recommending using a spray lithium grease. I ended up using a teflon based spray lube called Tri Flow.

good luck.. hope it's something as simple as this. The fixes for noises from inside the clutch/tranny can get pretty involved to eliminate.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah i hear ya, it sounds to me like its near the slave cyl and after hearing what ypu had to say it makes sence cause it feels like something needs some "grease"
Old 07-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: Clutch noise (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The outside of the bearing isn't the part I would worry about. But hey what ever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the berring that came w/ the trans looked like ****, n i knew some1 that owned a b series trans so he gave me his clutch n throwout berring cause they looked to still be in good shape when he got his stage 2