Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Changing Rotors .... Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 01:35 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Rotors .... Question

I am changin the rotors because they are warped. My question is, should i replace the brake pads also? I checked the brake pads and they is more then 50% of pad life left.

Also this is my first time changing my rotors, i have done pads before, is there any tips you guys got for me, any beware ones??
Old 06-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Changing Rotors .... Question (valentinecr)

leave the pads.

use the proper tool for the rotor screws or drill them out. you can replace them if you want but you don't have to.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I were you, I would change both rotors and pads for brand new units. This would maximize both rotor/pad life and cause even wear on both units.

However, it is not necessary to change the pads. Unless the pads have uneven wear. Hey..it might of contributed to your warped rotors
Old 06-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use an impact screwdriver to get the rotor screws out, don't replace the screws with the new rotors, they serve no useful function. When the rotors are off, if you track your car at all, this is a good time to cut your front dust shields off.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing Rotors .... Question (Batoutahell)

I was curious about cutting the dust shields off, mine are all fubar'ed. Will there be any adverse effects with the brake dust getting all over the brake lines and etc...?
Old 06-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing Rotors .... Question (Comp97GSR)

I really haven't noticed much additional accumulation of brake dust since I cut my shields off. I've probably been through 4 sets of pads with them off. I think the only thing the shields are useful for is to provide a mounting place for brake ducting outlets.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing Rotors .... Question (Batoutahell)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Batoutahell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the only thing the shields are useful for is to provide a mounting place for brake ducting outlets. </TD></TR></TABLE>

And to trap small stones making all kinds of interesting sounds
Old 06-18-2004, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Changing Rotors .... Question (Pondus)

I recommend the impact screwdriver. I busted my ***** trying to get these suckers out. Bought an impact driver (looks like a big metal screwdriver, hitting the back with a mallet/hammer torques the thing). They came right out. I guarantee you will have serious difficulty getting those screws out with anything other than a impact driver or a friggin' drill.

I put my screws back in (a little loose) in an effor to keep the rotor centered nicely. But the lugs will probably do just as good of a job.

Keep the pads if you liked them.

Not sure about the brake shield things. I've heard mixed opinions of 1) remove to get more air or 2) keep them on to get air flowing through correctly or some jazz.

I still have my shields. But they may be taken off on Sunday (depending on how I feel after changing my rotors again).

Good luck!

Chris
1998 ITR 1085
Old 06-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing Rotors .... Question (ccfries)

If you don't have an impact, there's another trick a friend of mine did the other night...

use a socket extension and phillips screw socket, then hammer it to the screw itself. After that, attach the extension w/socket, hammered onto the screw, to ratchet. Now, you have all kinds of torque to pop the screw off. It worked like a charm for all screws, I was impressed.