Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

what kinda cams for ls/vtec

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 10:38 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kinda cams for ls/vtec

i am going to get some higher lift cams soon.. still debating on what to get.. heres what i have,.... first off i have a 94 ls bottom with a 95 gsr head and cams. i put in new pistons... jdm itr.. and new rod bearings with arp rod bolts... not too sure where its safe to rev to though.... well... i have a aem cai, apex dunk, skunk2 intake manifold, stock ls headers for now, and a reprogramsed p28 from katman with a 5000vtec x-over and 9000 redline, although i have never hit the redline... revved my car to abolut 8200 at max... pretty sure the head cant handle anymore... nor the botttom will hold together at those rpms.... now im thinking of geting toda b's but i dun think my engine will rev more than 8200 or 8300 without problems... the bottom might be too weak... considering toda A's or itr/ctr combo... not sure... also thought about crower... they are cheap....
Old 08-21-2001, 10:40 PM
Trial User

Default Re: what kinda cams for ls/vtec (wdyno)

I wouldn't go with the Bs b/c the best way to use Bs is to plan the motor ahead of time. You might not have enough piston-valve clearance.

Here's my order of cam choice:

1. CTR/ITR combo
2. Spoon
3. Toda A

I'm not a big Crower fan when it comes to VTEC cams...they haven't earned my trust yet.

Loc
Old 08-21-2001, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to stray off topic too much... but I am seriously considering LS/Vtec as my next upgrade, using the B16 head tho... (GS-R is too damn expensive), I will prolly do some mods to the head prior to install (maybe PnP, maybe new cams) , but how's the LS/Vtec working out for you as far as driveability and power gains over the stock engine ?

No one ever really seems to answer this question.... I see dyno charts in the 170whp region...those dyno #'s sound funky if you can only safely rev in the 8K region...

BTW, some guy here in Miami had a crower cam on a GS-R *snap*, yes, you heard that right.... *SNAP* during a dyno/tuning session....just a 'thought you should know' piece of info...
Old 08-22-2001, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to use the bigger cams ie. toda b's jun's I would build you bottom end a little bit with like eagle rods and a girdle that way you can rev higher and get the full potential out of the cams. As far as clearance I hear yes and no. The only way to find out is to clay your motor.

[Modified by stretracr, 4:49 AM 8/22/2001]
Old 08-22-2001, 10:07 AM
Trial User

Default Re: what kinda cams for ls/vtec (stretracr)

CTR/ITR-price is right!
Old 08-22-2001, 11:07 AM
New User

Default Re: what kinda cams for ls/vtec (X2BOARD)

i have yet to dyno my car... but with the mods i have on... i've raced several type-r's and won by a bit..... not too much though... the r's i raced have like basic bolt ons..
Old 08-22-2001, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Toda B's produce a lot of their power in the very high rpm range. With your current setup, I wouldn't rev it past 7500rpm to be safe. The B's make a lot of power beyond that. Also, B's have a rougher than stock idle which you may or may not care about. If you really want to rev higher, have your bottom end balanced and install a block girdle. New rods would help also, but everything starts adding up and gets pricey. You should swap out your LS header for one with a 2.5" collector (JDM ITR 4-1 is great for the price...Spoon/Toda/Mugen/SMSP is better) and get a 2.5" cat or test pipe and run 2.5" all the way back. Bore out your throttle body to 64mm as it'll help your skunk2 IM. I agree with the above list:

1. CTR/ITR
2. Spoon
3. Toda A
4. Jun II

Remember to get the appropriate valve train for these setups (stiffer valve springs & titanium retainers). The CTR/ITR combo is a good setup, especially for the price. It'll give good mid-range power and you won't need to rev too high to get close to their potential. The Spoon's would be better then Toda A's cuz the Spoon cams provide more power out of VTEC, which would be good for LS/VTEC and CR-VTEC setups that can't rev as high. Both Toda A's, Spoons, and Jun II's make good power in VTEC. The Spoon cams also have a lower VTEC engagement rpm than the Toda A's and Jun II's so that when you hit VTEC, you can stay in the fun zone longer. If you get any of those cams, you really need to replace that header and exhaust system or you'll just be choking some good cams and you should to reprogram your ECU.