Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Vehicle jerking at idle (automatic transmission)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle jerking at idle (automatic transmission)

I just bought today a 2000 acura Integra with automatic transmission. It only has 100k miles on it. I had been driving it all day with nothing and then It started happening. Everything is smooth until I come to a stop. The car will randomly jerk forward very slightly. It's not like an aggressive jerk either. Just slightly. It may do it once then stop or once then again shortly after it's all random. I'm wondering what this is the tachometer doesn't move at all when this happens either making me think it's not an engine issue. Possibly transmission? Is this common with these cars and has anyone found a fix for it? Hopefully not a new transmission on a car I just bought.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: Vehicle jerking at idle (automatic transmission)

Your torque convertor is going out, change the ATF with Honda ATF and see if it gets better if not invest in a used trans, I recommend Hmotors.com
Old 02-07-2019, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Your torque convertor is going out, change the ATF with Honda ATF and see if it gets better if not invest in a used trans, I recommend Hmotors.com
Makes sense. Im curios though what is making it fail? Is it somehow letting more fluid pressure through randomly in little Bursts causing the jerk? If you don't know no worries. It also only does it after it's been driving a while so it's really warmed up
Old 02-07-2019, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by oddradiation
Makes sense. Im curios though what is making it fail? Is it somehow letting more fluid pressure through randomly in little Bursts causing the jerk? If you don't know no worries. It also only does it after it's been driving a while so it's really warmed up
It sounds more like the torque converter lock up is failing it's not uncommon for this to happen in automatic cars.
when you stop the force the the fluid in the torque converter drops and releases the the converter lock-up allowing the engine to turn freely as long as there is no force on the lock-up (mostly if it stuck in a gear from a failed solinoid)

if the shift solinoid was bad it would ether not go into a gear OR would not come out of a gear.

so if it's BAD and not going into gear you would see say 1st no 2nd then 3rd then 4th Or 1st 2nd NO 3rd then 4th

so from 0~17mph is 1st 18~28 is 2nd 29~38 is 3rd 39 and up is 4th

if it's bad and not going OUT of gear weather it's 3rd or 2nd the engine will stall and die when you come to a stop.

this is from the solinoid getting hot and seizing to the pintle shaft allowing the ATF to flow through and locking the gear in.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there a way I can test this at all? I mean as of right now obviously it's not a problem more annoying than anything and considering I just bought it and I usually like to replace all maintenance items I can I'll forsure be doing a trans fluid flush. Is it better to do a flush or drain and refill 2 or 3 times?

Thanks for the help I appreciate it. Also understand it a lot better now. I have a general understanding of how torque converters work but didn't know how everything integrated together. I'm sure that if the problem got worse then it would eventually lead to the car stalling out when stopped and not just the jerk I'm feeling now correct?
Old 02-07-2019, 08:32 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

00-01 is built a bit differently so please keep that in mind.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What color is the tranny fluid?
You'll be amazed what will happen after you drain and fill your tranny 4 times.
There are many threads for the simple DIY.