Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Sucking up water (Hydrolocking)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sucking up water (Hydrolocking)

Well I don't know about you guys.. But I've never heard of a Comptech Ice Box hydrolocking.. But I have heard of AEM's CAI hydrolocking.. And so my question is.. How is it possible for the AEM CAI to suck up water and the Comptech Ice Box not to suck up water??..

or
Old 02-12-2002, 03:32 PM
New User

Default Re: Sucking up water (PnX-R)

Well, to be honest, I have never heard of an AEM CAI hydrolocking... I can however explain why it would be more possible for the AEM over the Comptech...

1. Filter location. The Comptech keeps the stock location, thus the filter is pretty much totally prevented from complete submersion in water. If it is completely submersed, so is your engine.

2. AEM CAI has the filter right even with the bottom of the splashguard. People tend to take off this area of the spashguard for the sake of "colder air", This exposes the filter to direct contact with whatever is near the bottom of the front of your car. Once you completely submerege the filter, it WILL suck water. But honestly... you would need a 3" drop, and drive into a 8" or more puddle of water, and keep it running while submerged. If you're driving in situations like that, trade the car for a truck. Otherwise, be smart about your driving and condidtions, and you'll be fine.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I don't know about you guys.. But I've never heard of a Comptech Ice Box hydrolocking.. But I have heard of AEM's CAI hydrolocking.. And so my question is.. How is it possible for the AEM CAI to suck up water and the Comptech Ice Box not to suck up water??..

or
Well I beleive the Icebox stays up in the regular stock place using just an extension to act as the CAI. so the filter won't suck water. In the other hand the AEM CAI is only inches from the ground which in case of a flood the water would easy reach the filter.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sucking up water (GSR2001)

In addition, the Comptech Ice Box does not seal completly. There are air holes in the assembly, so that if the bottom bell were submersed in water, it would pull air from the smaller holes. Assuming of course, you're not at WOT and near redline.

The only way to hydrolock a Comptech Icebox is to take your turn signal out, and drive into a deep puddle very fast, thus ramming the water up the Icebox tube. I guess I've seen people do dumber things...

Reefer_Bob.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:41 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: Sucking up water (GSR_Hacker)

Well, to be honest, I have never heard of an AEM CAI hydrolocking...
I know two people this has happened to. I will never use a "CAI", Strictly stock air boxes for me.
Old 02-12-2002, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Sucking up water (JV)

it seems weird though.
the icebox extension goes just as far down as a cai. and the way it has seals would make it seem as though it was sealed in the box too. if it had holes in it, then it would lose its function as a cai....

soooo?
Old 02-12-2002, 05:20 PM
New User

first of all, do a search!!
2, I had my Comptech Ice box for 1 yr and driven in 6" of water with no prblems.
I have seen a handfull of people hydrolock with AEM CAI.
Old 02-12-2002, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Sucking up water (1fastGSR)

About the search.. Since you know so much.. Go do it for me.. I didn't ask a question on this board so I could get a snobby answer.. Go do a search.. Go do a search.. Well you know what, sometimes that search stuff doesn't help at all.. That's what a forum is for right..??.. New comers asking dumb questions..
Old 02-12-2002, 06:37 PM
New User

I am only trying to help you out. There is plenty of information on this topic.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:38 PM
New User

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=51037
Old 02-12-2002, 06:39 PM

Well both of these intakes r very good, and they both have preventions so it doesnt hyrolock, like the comp has air holes where if it does get submerged it will suck air through their, and the AEM has a bypass peice which will suck air through their if u r submerged, all depends on how u drive, if their is high water and u drive fast, just about n e CAI has a chance of hydrolock, its your lucky or your not...
Old 02-13-2002, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Sucking up water (TeamTooQuick)

The Ice Box has holes??.. So where are these holes located??..
Old 02-13-2002, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

You guys need to realize that it takes a LOT of water to hydrolock the engine. A few splashes isn't going to matter, as the intake is still taking in air, and that whatever bit of water gets in the engine will just vaporize. As far as the Icebox is concerned, you would have to suck up an immense amount of water to get it all the way up to the filter and then up the intake pipe, which is pretty much impossible, unless you're hit w/ a flash flood, water rushes over your hood, AND you decide you want to go WOT, in which case
Old 02-13-2002, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Sucking up water (PatrickGSR94)

You guys need to realize that it takes a LOT of water to hydrolock the engine. A few splashes isn't going to matter, as the intake is still taking in air, and that whatever bit of water gets in the engine will just vaporize. As far as the Icebox is concerned, you would have to suck up an immense amount of water to get it all the way up to the filter and then up the intake pipe, which is pretty much impossible, unless you're hit w/ a flash flood, water rushes over your hood, AND you decide you want to go WOT, in which case
...Good! I have my AEM CAI on the way and all this talk of hydrolock is freaking me out!
Old 02-13-2002, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sucking up water (NoSoup4U)

1 time i got stuck on the side of the road i was trying to get on a highway and some scumb wouldn't let me in so i wound up going threw a puddle over a foot deep with my AEM with the throttle pinned because i was speeding up trying to get in,I know i sucked in water the car bogged for a minute but once i was on the highyway it cleared right up.It was deep as hell I consider myself lucky that time.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I want a 3some with Chasey Lane and Jenna Jameson, Canada
Default Re: Sucking up water (GSR_Hacker)

2. AEM CAI has the filter right even with the bottom of the splashguard. People tend to take off this area of the spashguard for the sake of "colder air",
Well, after hearing this, I think people who take their splash guards off deserve to hydrolock their motors. Is there anyone out there that has actually hydrolocked without taking the splashguard off??? Because the more I think about it, the more I think you have to be submerged in deep water, but for a long damn time for the water to get passed the restrictive splashguard. In which case, well I'll be the first to say that your car ain't a boat and is not meant to go in deep puddles for that long.

So again I ask...anyone out there actually hydrolocked without taking the splashguard off???
Old 02-13-2002, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Ice Box has holes??.. So where are these holes located??..
There is one at the bottom of the elbow where the box joins to the trumpet bell end, and also the side mounting gromets don't seal completly.

Unlike the factory air box which has a rubber gasket around it, the Icebox only snaps into place on the side rails. This is far from air tight, so if you were to submerge the bottom half of it, it would pull air from all of these places. It's hard to suck up a 4" column of water....

The only way an AEM is going to hydrolock is if the filter is completly sumberged under water.

Reefer_Bob.