Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Are the Rad. hoses supposed to be firm when the car is warmed up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 06:12 PM
"Haters Gonna Hate"

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are the Rad. hoses supposed to be firm when the car is warmed up?

Are the upper and lower radiator hoses supposed to be firm when the car is at normal operating temperature? Also after running driving car (about a 25mi commute) the coolant in the overflow bottle rises from min to max. However it never rises past the max point (even after a spirited drive). Is this normal (or is it a sign of a leaky headgasket)? Also how much does it usually cost to replace the headgasket at the dealer? Thanks
Old 12-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Are the Rad. hoses supposed to be firm when the car is warmed up? (FrostyDC4)

to the question about the hoses being firm a operating temp .... yes they should be to the other questions i am not completely sure and would rather not answered them then get flamed for being wrong gonna develop a rep....sorry i couldn't be more help
Old 12-29-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Are the Rad. hoses supposed to be firm when the car is warmed up? (hondaluva)

yes, the rad. hoses should feel firm when the car is warmed up...the whole system there is pressure related, so you definitely don't want to be able to squish the hoses in. As far as a headgasket goes for labor at a dealer...be prepared to empty your pockets. You're looking at anywhere from 400-600 depending on the character of the shop I'd say. Do you see any coolant in your oil? The car overheating? Smoking? Oil on your block? I'm sure someone else w/some more knowledge can answer your question better...but until then, I'll just hafta do.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Are the Rad. hoses supposed to be firm when the car is warmed up? (JMigs)

Whoa chill guys, he doesnt need any work done. Your car is working fine. Its supposed to be at about the "minimum" line when the car is cold and at "maximum" when the car is at operating temperature.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are the Rad. hoses supposed to be firm when the car is warmed up? (tommymoose)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tommymoose &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whoa chill guys, he doesnt need any work done. Your car is working fine. Its supposed to be at about the "minimum" line when the car is cold and at "maximum" when the car is at operating temperature.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My teg does the same thing thanks for the answer! I wasn't worried about it but thanks
Old 12-30-2004, 02:40 PM
"Haters Gonna Hate"

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Are the Rad. hoses supposed to be firm when the car is warmed up? (tommymoose)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tommymoose &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whoa chill guys, he doesnt need any work done. Your car is working fine. Its supposed to be at about the "minimum" line when the car is cold and at "maximum" when the car is at operating temperature.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Are the Rad. hoses supposed to be firm when the car is warmed up? (FrostyDC4)

your car is fine but just to make sure pull out your dip stick and look at the oil if it looks black your fine if it looks milky you probly need a head gasket as for your rad hose theres a difference between firm and hard/britle. firm good hard/britle bad.