Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

OVERHEATING -- leaking from overflow reservoir -- need help asap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OVERHEATING -- leaking from overflow reservoir -- need help asap!

Hi,

I was driving my car today as usual and the temps slowly started to rise. When I stopped, steam was coming out from underneath my hood. My fans did not turn on! I pulled over to check what the problem was. My reservoir level was pass the high mark indicator, vibrating like crazy from the hot coolant in it. The coolant was spraying out of the reservoir cap onto my car (around the headlight area, fan switch connector, etc).

Anyone know what the problem could be that would cause my coolant to flow into my reservoir tank? Why is it overheating?

I bought some coolant for now because I probably have air in my cooling system but I need help ASAP! I have to pick someone up from the airport in two hours!
Old 06-06-2006, 06:27 AM

Default Re: OVERHEATING -- leaking from overflow reservoir -- need help asap! (huepowered)

look at the thermostat housing there should be a bleeder screw. open it and refill the system until only fluid comes from the bleeder.make sure your fans are working. if not try to bridge the two connectors on the fan switch harness this will turn the fans on until you turn off the ignition. check your thermostat and rad. cap when you have time and enginge is cool.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OVERHEATING -- leaking from overflow reservoir -- need help asap! (hondajerk310)

how do i check if my rad cap is good? how do i check if my thermostat is good? i bought a thermostat from autozone and the o-ring gasket already.. gonna try installign that.

i found this while searching: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=815172

What is the stock pressure spring for a b18b? i'm gonna hit up autozone in a bit.

Additional Info: Compression test performed last month: 190-180-185-190
Old 06-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OVERHEATING -- leaking from overflow reservoir -- need help asap! (hondajerk310)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondajerk310 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">look at the thermostat housing there should be a bleeder screw. open it and refill the system until only fluid comes from the bleeder.make sure your fans are working. if not try to bridge the two connectors on the fan switch harness this will turn the fans on until you turn off the ignition. check your thermostat and rad. cap when you have time and enginge is cool.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 06-06-2006, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OVERHEATING -- leaking from overflow reservoir -- need help asap! (solareclipseauto)

radiator cap in 4 pieces FTW!

cap, washer, spring, lil rubber thing

dropped the rubber piece on the very bottom of the cap into my radiator making my job 100x's harder.. any ideas of how to get it out?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OVERHEATING -- leaking from overflow reservoir -- need help asap! (huepowered)

Man... it's still leaking like a ***** in teh same spot after replacing the faulty radiator cap... i noticed the top radiator hose is hot as hell and the bottom is cold... does this mean i need to replace the thermostat?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure your fan control switch sensor is working. if your not sure than just replace it. its located next to the thermostat theres a plug on it facing the firewall.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LordAphotic)

even when i'm cruisin on the highway, my temp doesn't go down.. i'm replacing the t - stat tomorrow to see if that does anything...

in the meantime any other suggestions?

I tested the fan using the ground and power from the battery and it DOES turn on. I dont know if the switch is faulty. Does the fan turn on if the t-stat is broken?
Old 06-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (huepowered)

Just to update anyone for future reference on this issue...

The radiator cap was busted into 4 pieces. I replaced it with a new one. Also the thermostat was locked into the closed position causing my car to overheat. Replaced the thermostat and everything is fine.

The bolt underneath the thermostat is a PITA to remove with the starter in the way.. anyone have any tips for future reference to remove that bolt?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:02 PM

no, most likely your fan will not turn on if the thermostat isnt open. it takes too long to get hot b/c its on the cold side

however, the switches will fry if they get too hot

your thermostat is bad, compresion numbers look good

Old 06-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (akstunt600)

thanks, my thermostat was frozen shut not allowing coolant to flow through when the temps got hight. also, my ECT sending unit is out too because it got too hot from the time it overheated before (heater hose leak). now my temperature gauge only reads C to the first line on the gauge.