Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Ls V-Tec Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls V-Tec Build

i have a 96 integra ls.. my buddy just gave me a vtec head im kinda new at this but i wanna know what all do i need to make this ls block i have and official ls vtec. now i have cams for it and the head, besides the ecu (which i'm on the prowl for a p72 obd1) what else would i need?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Ls V-Tec Build

if you have all the parts it's not too hard to pull off. if you plan to use the p72 ecu i assume you have a p72 head and the gsr intake manifold? if you use a single runner on the p72 it will need a fpr and wideband to get the af right. search this forum and all motor for some good detailed write ups.

i normally hate lsvtec for more than a few reasons, but, in your case, why not? you have all the parts, build it on up
Old 04-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

subscribed! going to be doing the same thing.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah im with you bro. i have a b18a with 152k and all my friends are mechanic but theyre too lazy to help me out ha! so ima subscribe and hit me up with what your plans are!

92 DA
Old 04-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea man go for it, i gotta 00 si im in the process of doin this , i jus plugged the bottom of the head (oil passage) today, and now jus waitin for the block to come back from the machine shop to assemble this monster good luck bro!!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lsvtecEM1
yea man go for it, i gotta 00 si im in the process of doin this , i jus plugged the bottom of the head (oil passage) today, and now jus waitin for the block to come back from the machine shop to assemble this monster good luck bro!!!!
Isn't it already VTEC?...or are you swapping a B18B1 in it, and making it LS-VTEC? If you're doing a swap, I would just get a GSR motor...most people do LS-VTEC to save on money, because they claim it's cheaper than swapping a GSR motor, but it sounds like you're doing a whole swap anyway, so why not just put another B16 in it, or a B18C1? I'm against LS-VTEC too...
Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i build my lsvtec lst year. runs great, i love it. spend some money, get a good complete lsctec kit that includes lines, adaptes headgasket ect. make sure you get the correct head bolts. use a new gsr timing belt and water pump. if you have the monet get the head decked/machined. if not you risk runing you new head gasket. the first few days check for oil leaks. i had to pull my cams out to repalce all the cam seals cuz they where squirting oil. take ur time, do it right

om me if you want to buy a chipped ecu. i got a po6 that converted to vtec and has a stock gsr base map. but it is not set up for secondary runners if your using a stock gsr intake manifold
Old 04-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WDG_729_ITR
Isn't it already VTEC?...or are you swapping a B18B1 in it, and making it LS-VTEC? If you're doing a swap, I would just get a GSR motor...most people do LS-VTEC to save on money, because they claim it's cheaper than swapping a GSR motor, but it sounds like you're doing a whole swap anyway, so why not just put another B16 in it, or a B18C1? I'm against LS-VTEC too...
i think this stuff is honestly trend following. i liked the OP's idea simply because he has it all. if it blows, oh well, rebuild time. the rest of these guys who are spending cash are often using high mile b1 bottom ends, spending somewhere around 1200-1500 and thrilled that they made a motor that has similar power to a gsr for around 300-500 less than a jdm gsr. a lot of it is short sighted thinking. i also have a feeling that a lot of the guys are young with limited automotive experience. most of us with time, track events and multiple cars under our belts would dish out that 300-500 more for the real gsr in a second.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by idrivesideways
i think this stuff is honestly trend following. i liked the OP's idea simply because he has it all. if it blows, oh well, rebuild time. the rest of these guys who are spending cash are often using high mile b1 bottom ends, spending somewhere around 1200-1500 and thrilled that they made a motor that has similar power to a gsr for around 300-500 less than a jdm gsr. a lot of it is short sighted thinking. i also have a feeling that a lot of the guys are young with limited automotive experience. most of us with time, track events and multiple cars under our belts would dish out that 300-500 more for the real gsr in a second.
I agree with you 100%...it's as if people think LS-VTEC makes them unique from others, when in reality, it's rather pointless, and these days it's not even unique either (like you said, it's trend-following)...in fact, it doesn't even make much of a difference...if anything, it's more of hassle because you have to make modifications to even do it, whenever you can just swap in a B18C1 and call it a day, or even sell what you have and buy a GSR. There was a reason they made the B18C1--to perform at a higher standard than the B18B1...so why do people insist on improving the B18B1 to perform at the same level as the B18C1?...Honda already did that for you. It's one thing if you already have an LS and you're looking to work with what you have (I can understand that--such as in the OP's case), but it's another thing to do it because you think it's better or more unique. Personally, if I had an LS, rather than making it LS-VTEC, I would be investing in building the motor, and boosting it...that's money well spent, and you can't argue with those power gains.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea its vtec but when you blow urb16 block and have a ls layin there lsvtec seems like a good way to get ur car rollin again, , and i didnt get a gsr cuz i couldnt find one not many cats have a gsr for sale around indianapolis, why be against ls vtec if done correctly there monsters, i built mines and done everthing right to the tee, so what im gettin at turbo ls vtec= monster
Old 04-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lsvtecEM1
yea its vtec but when you blow urb16 block and have a ls layin there lsvtec seems like a good way to get ur car rollin again, , and i didnt get a gsr cuz i couldnt find one not many cats have a gsr for sale around indianapolis, why be against ls vtec if done correctly there monsters, i built mines and done everthing right to the tee, so what im gettin at turbo ls vtec= monster
I'm against it for the reasons I mentioned earlier...I really like B18C1's and C5's...i've had a GSR and now I have a Type-R so, that's pretty much my 'bread and butter'...if I were you, I would have just boosted the car with the LS motor, non-VTEC, possibly utilizing some aftermarket cams and just keep it non-VTEC...I would put my money on a Turbo GSR against a Turbo LS-VTEC anyday. I guess maybe it's just a personal thing...but if you're really into them, go for it, you're entitled to be...i'm just giving my side.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm against it for the reasons I mentioned earlier...I really like B18C1's and C5's...i've had a GSR and now I have a Type-R so, that's pretty much my 'bread and butter'...if I were you, I would have just boosted the car with the LS motor, non-VTEC, possibly utilizing some aftermarket cams and just keep it non-VTEC...I would put my money on a Turbo GSR against a Turbo LS-VTEC anyday. I guess maybe it's just a personal thing...but if you're really into them, go for it, you're entitled to be...i'm just giving my side.
i dont kno man i went heads up with my b16 boosted against a gsr boosted and i got em but there are many things that factor into that(built ,tuning, ect...) i have a buddy that has a similar set up to mine except im bulit he wasnt and im jus sayin ive seen good numbers outta lsvtec but alot of us arent lucky enough to afford a itr or gsr motor ya kno and any ive seen are crazy expensive
Old 04-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i also have a type r

the thing is building an lsvtec right often costs as much or more than buying a jdm gsr engine outright. that's our bitch. if you just happen to have the parts in your shop, sure, great idea. spending a lot to do one, bad idea. you follow?

the numbers on an lsv are fine, it's the long term reliability that suffers unless you tear the block down and upgrade the rods and do a real gram balance on the spintron
Old 04-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by olysdstuntin11
i have a 96 integra ls.. my buddy just gave me a vtec head im kinda new at this but i wanna know what all do i need to make this ls block i have and official ls vtec. now i have cams for it and the head, besides the ecu (which i'm on the prowl for a p72 obd1) what else would i need?
Here is a link for a full ls vtec kit
http://lightningmotorsports.com/ligh.../i-269896.aspx

One thing that isn't taken into account in building a ls vtec vs buying a JDM gsr is you have spent the money on upgrading the fuel system/engine management. So thats something you don't have to pay for to make more upgrades. People who follow trends just to be cool are wasting their time. I'm planning on swapping a gsr head on my car when I get a little extra cash. I'm building up my bottom end right now. Just because you dislike the idea of a ls vtec doesn't mean you should go around and tell everyone it is a bad idea to do it. There is nothing wrong with either route.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AcuraLsSE
Here is a link for a full ls vtec kit
http://lightningmotorsports.com/ligh.../i-269896.aspx

One thing that isn't taken into account in building a ls vtec vs buying a JDM gsr is you have spent the money on upgrading the fuel system/engine management. So thats something you don't have to pay for to make more upgrades. People who follow trends just to be cool are wasting their time. I'm planning on swapping a gsr head on my car when I get a little extra cash. I'm building up my bottom end right now. Just because you dislike the idea of a ls vtec doesn't mean you should go around and tell everyone it is a bad idea to do it. There is nothing wrong with either route.

Trying to save them some time and money...last I checked, people like to conserve both...and what fuel system/engine management upgrade were you talking about?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's what you get for your $, not that it's bad/good, just the best way to stretch your dollars
Old 04-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well not everyone starts with a stock ls to build off of. In my case I had an extra engine sitting around and had to take a lower engine machining class for school. I was told that I needed to buy pistons to know what I would need to set my bore to so I went out and bought some JDM ITR pistons. Fuel upgrades being injectors/pump. I understand that a stock ls vtec won't need much if any more than stock injectors or pump. Engine management being something like hondata to tune the car with after its put together. Because Honda didn't build a ls vtec they didn't make an ecu for it. Both are things you would need to add more things to your car later.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do something with those damn rods. at least resize them with arp bolts
Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AcuraLsSE
Well not everyone starts with a stock ls to build off of. In my case I had an extra engine sitting around and had to take a lower engine machining class for school. I was told that I needed to buy pistons to know what I would need to set my bore to so I went out and bought some JDM ITR pistons. Fuel upgrades being injectors/pump. I understand that a stock ls vtec won't need much if any more than stock injectors or pump. Engine management being something like hondata to tune the car with after its put together. Because Honda didn't build a ls vtec they didn't make an ecu for it. Both are things you would need to add more things to your car later.

People must feel pretty legit getting an aftermarket ECU for LS-VTEC...I think i'll sell my Type-R and get an LS, make it LS-VTEC, purchase AEM EMS, put my shades on and call it a day.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by idrivesideways
do something with those damn rods. at least resize them with arp bolts
I already did. New ARP rod bolts, resized the rods, modified the type r pistons to fit the ls rods, getting the entire rotating assembly balanced, crank has been inspected and polished, and bought all new OEM bearings.

People must feel pretty legit getting an aftermarket ECU for LS-VTEC...I think i'll sell my Type-R and get an LS, make it LS-VTEC, purchase AEM EMS, put my shades on and call it a day.
Whatever man, I would be happy with a B18C5 also. I drag race at my local track and will enjoy things like launch control, not that I need it. I've been doing just fine with the stock ls.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i purchased my db8 recoverd theft no motor. i got a good deal on a complete b18b for $300. i ran that for mayby 7 months no problem until i came accross a deal on a b16 head for $100/ the head was completly dissassembled but everythnig looked good. then 2 months later i found a complete assembled b16 head for $250 so i manage to sell my first one for the same price and grabbed that one. i spend some money on the lsvtec kit, but all together i got a great motor. it was a good learing experience putting it together. if i had the chance, yeah id do it again. i dont care what anyone thinks about be following a trand of wasting my time. i got a good strong running motor at a great price.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To the OP, Read up
https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/how-build-%22reliable%22-lsvtec-b20vtec-1676914/