Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Looking at a 2000 integra gs-r with some work done to it, but motor problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 06:58 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 2000 integra gs-r with some work done to it, but motor problems

I have been eyeballing this car for a few weeks and I want to get it. The owner says he believes the valves got bent. I have no experience with dohc engines, but I am willing to learn. For 2000 usd, should I get it and repair it, or should I pass on it?
Old 05-15-2019, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: Looking at a 2000 integra gs-r with some work done to it, but motor problems

Originally Posted by Zacht0423
I have been eyeballing this car for a few weeks and I want to get it. The owner says he believes the valves got bent. I have no experience with dohc engines, but I am willing to learn. For 2000 usd, should I get it and repair it, or should I pass on it?
I would pass on it, bent valves means a full rebuild of the engine which will be in the range of $2500 to $3000. The body of the car is worth usually around $1,500 to $2,500 depending on how good the condition of the body is. The 2000 and up models have a different engine computer and have a immobilizer that makes replacing the ECU or key a pain. If the body is all original and in good condition you could have the engine rebuilt, if indeed it has bent valves there's a small chance all you need to repair is the top half or the cylinder head and the bottom block can be left but usually the bottom end will need to be inspected and repaired as well, its always a good idea to just rebuild the whole engine.

You could always sell the damaged engine and buy a used low mile JDM engine of your choice and swap it in and call it a day, the only issue is since its a 2000 model which is OBD2B you need to find a 2000 and up model engine for everything to plug in easy, there's ways around it but if you had a 1999 model any engine from 96 and up to 99 will directly swap in with ease as far as the wiring harness goes.. But generally if you keep the main parts from the original engine ( engine harness, distributor, alternator and starter you can usually swap it over to the new used USDM or JDM engine and it should work just fine. But I would recommend keeping the original engine and have it rebuilt.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Looking at a 2000 integra gs-r with some work done to it, but motor problems

I found this rebuild kit (https://www.ebay.com/i/320619481833?chn=ps). Is this a trust-able kit? Also, in the event that it isn't, could you point me to one that is please? Thanks.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless you enjoy long and expensive build projects I'd stay away from it. Chances are it had a broke timing belt or It was over-revved on a downshift. Who knows what other internals are damaged - pistons, scored cylinders, etc.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:15 AM
Trial User

I don't mind having to spend up to $1000 on fixing the motor. I want to either get the owner to inspect the head and pistons, or get 600 off the price. However, I would like to know some good engine swaps for the car in the event that the engine is completely trashed, preferably one with a timing chain, or one that has a timing chain kit available.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If you're looking to swap in an engine with a timing chain (aka k-series) that's a 4-5 thousand project at the very least assuming you're doing everything yourself. If you know how to work on engines then do the rebuild yourself with the engine that's in there.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:11 AM
Trial User

Im gonna get a bore scope camera and check the valves and pistons. I've worked on small engines for lawn mowers before, no I'm not completely engine illiterate, but never have I worked on a ohc engine. I have family that have though, and this forum is a wealth of knowledge. Ill post pictures of the insides once I check out the car in person. Thanks for all the help ,too. I really appreciate it.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zacht0423
You have experience with other engines? OHC is not much difference than rods/lifters. Instead of a cam inside the top of the block, the cams are inside the heads, held down by a girdle (accessible via valve cover), and turned by the timing belt or chain. This should not be a show stopper.
Do not get that cheap *** ebay rebuild kit. Waste of time, money and effort. Last time I got my B18C1 engine rebuilt by a competent shop, it was $2500 with forged internals and upgraded valves/springs.

If you're dead set on getting this chassis, you have a few options:
1. Swap the engine with another working B18C1. An engine swap is much easier than an engine rebuild.
2. Rebuild the engine with stock components. Depending on the damage, this could be 2 or 3x as expensive as a used engine.
3. Rebuild with performance parts. This could be any where from $2500, up to $$$$$$. Depends on your budget.
4. K20Z1 / K20Z3 / K20A2 / K24 swap. Base K20 series are not going to be up to par with the B18C1. More torque, more HP. Likely to cost $5K or more.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

https://www.hmotorsonline.com/b-series/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Honda-T...ty!92078!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/94-01-ACURA...AAAOSwstxVUhhR

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Replace...ox!92078!US!-1

Best deals are here,

https://www.icbmotorsport.com/intyrpikitb1.html

https://www.icbmotorsport.com/indc2db8tyr.html