Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Integra is overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra is overheating

Update and Solution:

We screwed up the coolant lines from heater core to water neck when we did the headgasket. Thanks everyone

Hi guys

Yes, another overheating thread. My friend and I have searched and searched and have done a lot of things but the problem keeps coming back. Here's the scoop. My friend's 98 GSR is overheating. We have replaced the following with new parts

1. headgasket 2x
2. thermostat 3x
3. waterpump
4. radiator with new hoses and a new oem cap

At first, there was no heat so we swapped out the thermo, then we got heat but it was still o/heating within 10 min or so while driving. So we figure it has to be the waterpump since a new headgasket was put in about 5k ago. So we put a new one in, still overheating.

So we do a leakdown test, about 9% leak from all 4 cylinders, no bubbles coming out of the radiator and no white smoke coming from the tailpipe. Well, we couldnt be sure so we figure the headgasket is bad, so another one goes in. Still overheating, but now it only overheats about 20-30 minutes and it doesnt ever go to the H, but about the 10 o'clock position and then itll go down to normal and back up (this is with him doing nothing but driving) but if you turn on the heat, even one notch, then it goes back to normal temp.

Now we are out of ideas, there's no leaks anywhere outside, the radiator was replaced as well. It is eating coolant somewhere as the overflow is empty even after you fill it to the top and if you let it sit overnight, both hoses looses coolant where they are not hard but once driven, they get really hard. Both hoses also get hot, and the fan only works if its looped as well. The thermostat works as well and we have burped it many times with new coolant (the burp plug when used has a nice stream of coolant that comes out) and there's really no bubbles when we burp it (15 minutes into it).

Please help, this is his only car. Thanks

Last edited by pennies_hatchie; 05-31-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Integra is overheating

need some help here guys.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check the hoses that go to the heater core see if they r leaking mine did this and it doesn't leak on the floor cuz it get burned on the exhaust. Also check in side the car in the back of the center console and see if it is leaking from there (this is of couse if u have the heat hoses connect) also u may be leaking from the tb u know on the bottom again just cuz u don't leak on the floor doesn't mean u r not leaking. Just check everywhere I know it might seem like u did everything and check everywhere but look again it could be the smallest things sometimes. Good luck
Old 05-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for chiming in. We have check those and recheck them especially since we just pulled the head to do the head gasket. Any more ideas that we have not thought of?
Old 05-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is maybe the head warped? I would think that if the head is warped enough, coolant could very well possibly leak past the head gasket into the cylinders and burn out through the exhaust. other than that, i wouldn't have a clue.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have a cracked head, you can usually tell by looking at the coolent. If it's milky then your head is most likely cracked.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure the motors really hot when you inspect for leaks, leave it running. Im no mechanic but thats what i did.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

You deff got a leak! lift the car with a jack and look very carefully under the car when its hot and search for the leak! first check the coolant pipe o rings you might need to remove the black box to the side to see if the o ring on the thermo. side is leaking and you can look at the water pump side from a angle under the car, its the one that goes in the water pump and the other thats in the thermo housing. then the two hoses that come off the coolant pipe, then check under the manifold, the t.b, the hose that goes into the firewall, there's not many places it can leak, it don't just disappear that's why your overheating there's not enough coolant circulating, i doubt its the head gasket!! you would know from the oil and if it has white smoke out the tail pipe, then its a leak in the h.g. make sure the thermostat is properly installed in the thermo gasket. or it wont function properly, there's two bumps on the gasket that indicate where to place the gasket in the housing. also it can be possible that you have some build up ithe water neck right in the head, cause the passage behind the water neck especially on a itr head is real small and corrosion build up could maybe clog up the passage, but that's a real extreme but possible.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Thermostat was installed properly
2. We took the water neck out, nothing inside
3. There is a new water pump
4. There is no physical leak anywhere (jacked it up while it was on and hot)
5. No white smoke or black smoke from the exhaust
6. No milky residue on the oil cap or in the oil (drained it)
7. No residue on the radiator cap as well
8. Both upper and lower hoses are tight and hot once warmed up
9. We are still missing coolant from the overflow
10. Nothing leaking from the new headgasket
11. We have heat as well
Old 05-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now is it PHYSICALLY overheating or are you basing this all on the temp gauge? Because if youre basing it on the temp gauge, its clearly a gauge malfunction, probably some wiring is messed up somewhere. If its physically overheating, one thing to do is to flush your system, and use a garden hose to flush it. As water goes into the engine, it should come out of the bottom where the return hose hits the radiator, if water isnt coming out at the same speed as it is pouring in, there is a blockage, its a bitch to find, but im sure you can find it. Just trial and error each piece, main rad hose to engine... and so on. Good luck!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, forgot a couple of things, you checked your fan? Since theyre electric, they can short out/fail. Check your Rad cap as well, it needs to maintain full pressure, and finally make sure your timing is right. More advanced puts more heat pressure on your engine!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vroomvroomparty
Sorry, forgot a couple of things, you checked your fan? Since theyre electric, they can short out/fail. Check your Rad cap as well, it needs to maintain full pressure, and finally make sure your timing is right. More advanced puts more heat pressure on your engine!
1. We jumped the fan so its on 24.7 as long as the car is on
2. Its not physically o/heating and everything is being based off the temp sensor
3. There is pressure as both hoses get hard once started
4. I redid the timing and its perfect when we put the new head gasket on

As of now, I guess, we will do the water hose trick to see if there is any blockage. Thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im having the same problem and mine wants to blow out the overflow tank but for some reason the radiator still stays full and sucks it out the overflow tank to maker the overflow empty. the temp hand will go all to h and then go back down after a min or so. also when it get to hott its blown out the overflow and bubbling intside the overflow i need help bad!

ive replaced thermo sensor and thermostat water pump is good still.

but i also have unorthodox racing underdrive pulley could that be a problem?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

don't forget about coolant drain plug on the front of your block. you have to remove the heat shield over the header to see it on the left side. it's another outlet that you can watch while you garden hose everything.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by onesick97ek
im having the same problem and mine wants to blow out the overflow tank but for some reason the radiator still stays full and sucks it out the overflow tank to maker the overflow empty. the temp hand will go all to h and then go back down after a min or so. also when it get to hott its blown out the overflow and bubbling intside the overflow i need help bad!

ive replaced thermo sensor and thermostat water pump is good still.

but i also have unorthodox racing underdrive pulley could that be a problem?
Yours sounds like a headgasket.

We just got done doing the hose trick. As of now, its running good but it generally takes 30 minutes or so to start acting up so we will be taking it on a drive in a bit. Will update soon
Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe your radiator is leaking some where
Old 05-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Who's radiator
Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My hoses also when the car is warmed up have no pressure in them they are hott but they aren't stiff any ideas why?
Old 05-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by onesick97ek
Who's radiator
This is why you don't thread jack!
Old 05-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm_bones
This is why you don't thread jack!
LOL
Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to OP tried looking for any leaks around radiator yet? to onesick97ek tried replacing your thermastat? usually if the hoses dont warm up it probaly means that the thermastat isnt opening up.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by yunglaosta
to OP tried looking for any leaks around radiator yet? to onesick97ek tried replacing your thermastat? usually if the hoses dont warm up it probaly means that the thermastat isnt opening up.

We replaced it with a brand new gsr radiator with a oem cap and still the same thing. We have flushed it as well. Motor runs fine, no idle issues or leaks as well. The temp gauge just keeps going to 3/4 of the way. We also replaced the temp sensor on the head as well and still the same thing. We are lost right now
Old 05-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can anyone give me a shot of the back of a gsr motor. We need to see where all the coolant holes and lines are going because we are thinking that the way we have it is wrong. Please, the more pix. The better
Old 05-30-2010, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pennies_hatchie
Can anyone give me a shot of the back of a gsr motor. We need to see where all the coolant holes and lines are going because we are thinking that the way we have it is wrong. Please, the more pix. The better
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...TopicID=249742
Old 05-30-2010, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. But actual detail pictures would be better then the diagram