Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Integra bog issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra bog issue.

Ive had my 92 Integra GS-R here for a few months, and I have a gremlin I have been slowly chasing. Its like, all of the sudden, it will hit a wall when driving, like sucking through a straw, you can feel when it starts when you are on the throttle and it kinda stops the car from accelerating. It will do this until around 5kish and then open up like its supposed to. Sonetimes it runs great. So far, I have done whole dizzy,Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, and cleaned the intake mani with carb cleaner. Its slowly getting worse, and Im kind of getting worried it could be something big. At this point in time, and my next thing im doing, is taking off the Catalytic converter and knocking all the stuff out of the inside of it. The current cat is the stock one, and the body has 250k~ miles. Any other suggestions are awesome! Thanks guys! It has the stock B17. It runs fine cold, starts acting up when warm. New dizzy, plugs, wires, fuel filter, main relay, new battery terminals. Unplugging tps, map, or o2 doesn't change much. I can barely start on a hill without riding the clutch.

I have a fuel pump, pressure regulator, injectors, map sensor and a compression tester on the way, I am not excited about the fuel pump but I'm running out of stuff to replace. Side note, I have the timing fully advanced because it runs alot better than with it anywhere else. I checked the timing belt and it looks fine and tight. NO CEL.

Any help appreciated, sorry about being so lengthy just want it fixed

Last edited by Sunkenkarma; 09-01-2018 at 01:36 AM. Reason: No cel
Old 09-01-2018, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Integra bog issue.

Catalytic converters clog over time.
Take yours off and point it to the sky. If you can see thru it, it is not the problem.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 94 GSR with the exact same problem, it also has got worse the more new parts I put on. I have new water pump and timing belt, distributor, every sensor other than evap and tps.... seriously people we need help before this becomes an epidemic among tegis...like herpes.... please for the love of Honda, HELP!!!
now half my fuse box is out....all interior lights and bells if keys are left in ignition and all power winder controls are not working... this happened after I change idle control module on the back of intake manifold

Last edited by zenmark84; 09-11-2018 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Left out something
Old 09-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swapped a '98 GSR engine into my LS Integra and sometimes I feel the car do the same thing in mid-range revs. It'll spit and sputter like it's not getting gas or something. And then after I've come to a complete stop, and try to accelerate again, it feels like the car wants to fall on its face. Like there's no resistance behind the pedal, and it doesn't accelerate any faster for the split second it takes to start pushing down on the gas pedal.

I've noticed that I have an intermediate CEL for "TPS low voltage", it comes and goes but I believe this is related to my EVAP wiring issue, because it shares a ground wire with the TPS sensor.

I'd be interested to see if anybody has some insight on this issue.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any ideas on where this ground is connected on the car? Most all of my wires are still wrapped and it's like a freaking maze in there.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunkenkarma
Ive had my 92 Integra GS-R here for a few months, and I have a gremlin I have been slowly chasing. Its like, all of the sudden, it will hit a wall when driving, like sucking through a straw, you can feel when it starts when you are on the throttle and it kinda stops the car from accelerating. It will do this until around 5kish and then open up like its supposed to. Sonetimes it runs great. So far, I have done whole dizzy,Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, and cleaned the intake mani with carb cleaner. Its slowly getting worse, and Im kind of getting worried it could be something big. At this point in time, and my next thing im doing, is taking off the Catalytic converter and knocking all the stuff out of the inside of it. The current cat is the stock one, and the body has 250k~ miles. Any other suggestions are awesome! Thanks guys! It has the stock B17. It runs fine cold, starts acting up when warm. New dizzy, plugs, wires, fuel filter, main relay, new battery terminals. Unplugging tps, map, or o2 doesn't change much. I can barely start on a hill without riding the clutch.

I have a fuel pump, pressure regulator, injectors, map sensor and a compression tester on the way, I am not excited about the fuel pump but I'm running out of stuff to replace. Side note, I have the timing fully advanced because it runs alot better than with it anywhere else. I checked the timing belt and it looks fine and tight. NO CEL.

Any help appreciated, sorry about being so lengthy just want it fixed
Clean the thermostat ground first! make sure its nice and clean as well as the other grounds.
Guys check your ignition timing! set the timing with a timing gun to spec!
Double check your spark plug and the spark plug gap!
Test the ECT sensor! sounds like the ECT sensor is not working correct telling the ECU the engine is not warm when the engine reaches OP temp. When the engine is cold the ECU has cold start compensation and as it warms up the ECT tells the ecu what the temp is and it adjusts the fuel trim.

Originally Posted by zenmark84
I have a 94 GSR with the exact same problem, it also has got worse the more new parts I put on. I have new water pump and timing belt, distributor, every sensor other than evap and tps.... seriously people we need help before this becomes an epidemic among tegis...like herpes.... please for the love of Honda, HELP!!!
now half my fuse box is out....all interior lights and bells if keys are left in ignition and all power winder controls are not working... this happened after I change idle control module on the back of intake manifold
Check for any cuts in the wiring on the IAC harness, inspect the plugs themselves as well for any wires worn or being pulled out the plastic plug.

Originally Posted by DC4_Dad
I swapped a '98 GSR engine into my LS Integra and sometimes I feel the car do the same thing in mid-range revs. It'll spit and sputter like it's not getting gas or something. And then after I've come to a complete stop, and try to accelerate again, it feels like the car wants to fall on its face. Like there's no resistance behind the pedal, and it doesn't accelerate any faster for the split second it takes to start pushing down on the gas pedal.

I've noticed that I have an intermediate CEL for "TPS low voltage", it comes and goes but I believe this is related to my EVAP wiring issue, because it shares a ground wire with the TPS sensor.

I'd be interested to see if anybody has some insight on this issue.
Clean your thermostat ground and check the TPS for any cuts or damaged wires coming out the plug. Make sure your using a GSR ecu and that the Vtec solenoid is connected to the ECU to properly engage vtec or else the engine will run like **** and have no top end power or VTEC. Also make sure ignition timing is on point! use the gun.

Originally Posted by zenmark84
Any ideas on where this ground is connected on the car? Most all of my wires are still wrapped and it's like a freaking maze in there.
There's one on the Thermostat one on the valve cover, one near the back of the intake manifold near the brake booster and shock tower location. and one is connected from the chassis to the trans.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Clean the thermostat ground first! make sure its nice and clean as well as the other grounds.
Test the ECT sensor! sounds like the ECT sensor is not working correct telling the ECU the engine is not warm when the engine reaches OP temp. When the engine is cold the ECU has cold start compensation and as it warms up the ECT tells the ecu what the temp is and it adjusts the fuel trim.

Check for any cuts in the wiring on the IAC harness, inspect the plugs themselves as well for any wires worn or being pulled out the plastic plug.

Clean your thermostat ground and check the TPS for any cuts or damaged wires coming out the plug. Make sure your using a GSR ecu and that the Vtec solenoid is connected to the ECU to properly engage vtec or else the engine will run like **** and have no top end power or VTEC. Also make sure ignition timing is on point! use the gun.

There's one on the Thermostat one on the valve cover, one near the back of the intake manifold near the brake booster and shock tower location. and one is connected from the chassis to the trans.
just posted another problem I've come across well that I hope isnt a real problem,, could you look at post "OBD2+OBD1 parts used together" also thanks for ground info.

I have brand new all of those parts on... even had timing belt and water pump replaced beforehand
Old 09-14-2018, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have cleaned off my thermostat ground as I know it's the main ground for the ECU. Also, I have checked the TPS sensor wires for any abnormalities. I've even gone as far as replacing the sensor and gasket with new hardware. I'm using Skunk2 throttle body and intake manifold so I'm wondering if it has something to do with that. Also, my VTEC is engaging correctly once the engine is up to temperature. I've timed the engine correctly, using a timing light myself.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Did you calibrate the TPS with volt meter when you replaced it!
Old 09-17-2018, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you calibrate the TPS with volt meter when you replaced it!
Yes sir. Everything looked good closed and wide-open.