Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Hesitation on cold acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hesitation on cold acceleration

OK first off this is not my car.. I'm asking for a friend that wants me to help her check out her car this weekend.. yes i did search the archives.. the only remotely similar problem i came up w/ was this thread on the search https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=54797

anyway its a 96 or 97 (not my car so Im not sure what year it is) Acura Integra LS automatic tranny w/ about 68K.. when i did a search most of the problems were either hesitating from 2K+ rpms and also on a 5 speed...

anyway the problem on this 96/97 LS is that when the motor is not at operating temp.. and you press on the gas to accelerate.. it pauses for a moment and does nothing.. then after about 1-2 seconds... it will start accelerating like normal... this happens regardless if its in D4 or D3 according to her....

I had a chance to drive this thing today and its annoying and unsafe (for left turns and merges) for her to drive it since when you want it to go.. it pauses... I have no experience w/ this problem or auto...so any help on fixing this would be appreciated... this problem ONLY happens when the motor/temp guage is NOT at operating temp.. once the motor reaches operating temp/normal temp according to the guage.. it does not pause/hesitate... what could be causing this cold hesitation?

some things i've already tried for her when i did her oil change, coolant, brakes, etc.. a few weeks ago are 1)replacing the spark plugs, 2) fuel filter change 3) air filter change... i guess i will check the cap and rotor and the plug wires tomorrow...
I've also had her try fuel system cleaner (the stuff u pour in the tank) and I've also tried cleaning her throttle body.. both the outside.. AND holding open the throttle wheel and cleaning the inside and the inside of the throttle plate... at this point im really lost as to what else to look for...

I live about 30 miles from her.. and she has no tools (meaning i have to load all my stuff in my car and drive there).. so please tell me what else i should check so i dont have to make multiple trips...

we both live in California (southern near LA) so I doubt cold temperature is the problem... I've tried telling her to let the car warm up/idle for a minute.. but she says it still happens on every stand still (stop light, stop sign, etc..) acceleration up until the temp guage is at operating temp.. the motor just kinda stubles/but the car doesnt move until a few seconds later...any help would be appreciated.. tell me EVERYTHING you would look for so i dont have to make multiple trips...

thank you in advance..
Old 03-15-2002, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hesitation on cold acceleration (GSRaCeRbOI)

Just a though, but it could be transmission related.Remember it isn't up to temp either.My first car was an auto.There was a switch inside the tranny that would get hung up etc..and would do almost the same thing you described her car doing.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2002, 02:22 PM

Maybe its the throtle cable. Make sure the throtle cable is tightened up all the way. I have heard of that happening to older cars. If there is slack in the throtle cable it wont engage right away. just have someone hit the gas to WOT and see if the butterfly opens all the way. If not you may need to adjust it.

Cant see why it would be lagging soo bad before its warm. Have you had the 60k tune up? Another problem might be the transmission.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Hesitation on cold acceleration (Fooser)

try getting a basic 60k tune up, change ur wires, plugs, tranny fluid, and check the alternator....
Old 03-15-2002, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hesitation on cold acceleration (timbuktu)

I would check her ATF. Maybe the oil is old and broken down so that it is not lubricating properly until it is fully warm.

Also, you could replace her tempurature sensor, they are pretty cheap. $15 I think.

Try pulling codes from the ECU, it could give you a hint or two.

Just remembered, when it hesitates is it like there is no gas? or it revs but doesn't go anywhere? It could be the transmission slipping.

[Modified by StyleTEG, 12:39 AM 3/16/2002]

[Modified by StyleTEG, 12:40 AM 3/16/2002]
Old 03-15-2002, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Hesitation on cold acceleration (Dc2k-specR)

haha she just called me making sure i was coming over to look at her car 2morrow.... remember it only hesitates when its cold.. i have no idea why... could bad plug wires only be affected when cold? how about bad cap and rotor? I'm really lost .. once the car is warmed up.. it works perfect...

the check engine light is not lit.. or anything.. its a 96 or 97 LS Auto..ill try jumping the ECU and see if anything comes up...

DC2KspecR: hmm if its tranny related then i dont know.. never had/worked on an auto.. thanks for your input.. so what did you end up doing /w your car selling it?

Fooser: throttle cable should be tight the last time i messed w/ her car and cleaned the throttle body I adjusted the throttle cable...

Timbuktu: short of the wires.. i've already dont 60K tune up on her car.... her car has 67K i believe.. not sure... a few weeks ago.. i just did her oil and filter, changed air filter, atf tranny fluid, spark plugs, brakes, bled her brakes too, drained and refilled coolant, valve adjust, rotated her tires, put fuel system cleaner in the gas tank, and cleaned her throttle body both outside.. and inside including the inside/back of the throttle plate... this isn't my car so I'm not sure what else has been done before.. but the stuff i listed above.. I did it myself.. so i know for a fact those were done...

StyleTeg: i changed the tranny fluid for her a few weeks ago w/ genuine honda ATF.. so it cant be that..

any other ideas guys? I was thinking of checking out her plug wires, checking the ignition timing and cap and rotor.... she lives like 30 miles from me.. so i'd really like to solve this tomorrow w/o making hella repeat trips.. any other systems/things i should check out? thanks for your responses..

[Modified by GSRaCeRbOI, 1:03 AM 3/16/2002]
Old 03-15-2002, 04:10 PM
New User

1) My 1989 manual Integra does the same, even when warm.

2) Since you have an automatic, it sounds like a vacuum problem.

3) How are you going to check the wires?
Old 03-15-2002, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GSR,The car that that happened to was a pontiac.i have a few friends that are ASE certified and were familiar with that sort of thing so they fixed it for me.Auto tranny's are the most annoying and confusing pieces of junk I have ever seen.I wouldn't recomend f'ing with it if you aren't that famliar with autos.
Old 03-15-2002, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Hesitation on cold acceleration (michaelpr)

its not my car!!!!! which is why i wanna get this over w/ in 1 day so i dont have to make hella trips to her place.. so she'll stop callin me to help w/ her car probs... how do i go about checking the vacuum on an auto?

imma have her brother start it up in a dark garage.. and see if theres sparks/arching... and 2mororw imma pull each plug and test it for continuity w/ a multimeter.. and move the plug wire around to see if it'll show any breaks in the meter reading...

since i have no idea how to fix her problem.. sorry i cant help w/ ur 89...
Old 03-15-2002, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Hesitation on cold acceleration (Dc2k-specR)

DC2K: i wouldnt bother messing w/ the tranny cuz I know nothing about fixing auto trannies.. plus hell NO would i put in the time to take out and diagnose her tranny even if I knew how (we're just friends.. but not THAT tite for me to put in THAT much time/labor into her car haha)...

aight i guess if after i do the plug wires, cap rotor, and check the timing and its still like that.. I'm just gonna tell her I dont know anymore and to take it to a shop... I've never encountered this w/ my GSR and it has over 100K miles.. so i really dont know where to start w/ her car...
Old 03-16-2002, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Hesitation on cold acceleration (LSnoVTEC)

LSnoVTEC: hahah I'm already interested/involved w/ someone else... but yeah she's aight we're just frenz tho so naw i won't be charging "a lil extra" for my services haha... haha Lolz...

anyway... any1 else have any last minute suggestions? I'm about to head over there in an hour (at about 10am)... gotta get all the tools together and put them in my car... and thanks every1 else that responded/gave suggestions...