Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Headers and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and exhaust

Here in about 6 weeks, I am planning on doing some upgrades on my 94 Integra ls. I am planning on upgrading my headers, exhaust from the headers back, and a cold air intake. What kind of HP and torque gains am I looking at by doing these 3 things, and do any of you have any suggestions on brand and type I should be looking at?
as usual, all help is appreciated.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Headers and exhaust

You are going to have to be a little more specific here as to your goals and possible future mods. (not sure if I should even reply to a 1 poster lol)
Are you auto or manual?
What exhaust volume and tone are you looking for?
Where do you want your powerband to be?
Do you plan on only doing intake/header/exhaust?
Do you not plan on ever getting a tune?
Do you think you might do some engine work in the future? Maybe LS/VTEC or cams and high compression etc?

If you plan on only doing intake/header/exhaust and nothing else, I would probably just get a DC sports 4-2-1, AEM cold air and a http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...ng-system.html 2.25in piping kit and 2.25in magnaflow high flow cat/resonator or two and end muffler.

Now if you want more, you will need to go bigger...
Old 10-12-2017, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. I'll do my best though. It's a DD so it won't be a track car or anything. I'm simply looking to do some upgrades for better gas mileage and be a little more powerful. I was gonna do the exhaust system and a cold air intake, then put coilovers on it and a short shifter, Then I'm gonna build the heads. I may get a turbo put on it but that will be a long time from now, and I'm still not sure I will be doing it. I think that answers your questions?

It's a 5 speed. I'm not exactly sure what kind of sound I'm looking for, as long as it doesn't sound like a weed eater, and it's not a ricer. Sorry about being a 1 poster, but I just joined the page and I have only had the car a week.

Last edited by toyomatt84; 10-12-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok first off, before someone comes calling you names, it's HEADER, not headers.

The questions above are pretty straightforward.

Being that you have a stock LS, like I do, you have 140hp, Decide how much more you want. Just as a heads up, a cold air intake and exhaust probably won't add any significant amount.
Do you want more "pull" at lower rpms or higher?

Just don't cheap out parts, especially coilovers.
Make sure you check this out for suspension, https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspen...ility-2967499/
Old 10-12-2017, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for that Javane, I didn't even realize I was adding an S. Basically I am looking for more power on the low to mid range RPMs. Between 2k and 4500. Like I said it's a daily driver so I'm not looking to go B-I-G big, but more HP and torque is always nice. I want it to sound like a beast, not a landscaping tool. If I can get 300BHP out of it I will be more than happy. 250 is more what I'm looking for. 300 would be around the max.

I should also add that I'm gonna do an AC and PS delete on it as well to help she'd some unneeded weight.

Last edited by toyomatt84; 10-12-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46
You are going to have to be a little more specific here as to your goals and possible future mods. (not sure if I should even reply to a 1 poster lol)
I guess you just want a peppy dd, gas mileage or maybe 250-300 hp? (learn to talk in whp if you dont want to get made fun of), but maybe a 250-300hp built turbo engine... lol what?

Are you auto or manual?

What exhaust volume and tone are you looking for?
"I want it to sound like a beast, not a landscaping tool"
lol what?

Where do you want your powerband to be?
Between 2k and 4500

Do you plan on only doing intake/header/exhaust?
"For now yes"?

Do you not plan on ever getting a tune?

Do you think you might do some engine work in the future? Maybe LS/VTEC or cams and high compression etc?
Then I'm gonna build the heads. I may get a turbo put on it
If I can get 300BHP out of it I will be more than happy. 250 is more what I'm looking for. 300 would be around the max.

You don't have head(s) you only have one head...
Your planned intake/exhaust will need to be redone if you ever go turbo or "build you head".
250 to 300 (crank hp?) would be very easily reached with a turbo, but I hope you weren't planning or thinking that you were going to get there with out one or with "built heads".
Pick one goal for now and stick to it...

Based on your limited answers, I am sticking with my original:
"If you plan on only doing intake/header/exhaust and nothing else, I would probably just get a DC sports 4-2-1, AEM cold air and a 94-01 Acura Integra Exhaust Tubing System - Mandrel Exhaust Systems 2.25in piping kit and 2.25in magnaflow high flow cat/resonator or two and end muffler."
Response
This plus a good tune will give you a few more hp and mpgs, while not sounding like a "landscaping tool".

Last edited by CandyRedRC46; 10-12-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you saying I'm not answering the questions properly. If not then I'm not sure I am understanding the questions. As I said before I am gonna rebuild the head and the package I'm looking at will come with an ecu that can be tuned however I want it.

For the sake of arguments though, let's say I'm never gonna do anything else to it ever besides the header and the exhaust and the cold air intake, on a DD, 5speed, any rpm range, Dyno to Dyno, and just with those things what would be the max HP and torque I would be looking at.

As far as the landscaping tool remark I was referring to a comment I made that didn't post for some reason. I don't want it to sound like a damn weedeater, and I don't want a ricer mobile.

Last edited by toyomatt84; 10-12-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Michael Crump
Are you saying I'm not answering the questions properly. If not then I'm not sure I am understanding the questions. As I said before I am gonna rebuild the head and the package I'm looking at will come with an ecu that can be tuned however I want it.

For the sake of arguments though, let's say I'm never gonna do anything else to it ever besides the header and the exhaust and the cold air intake, on a DD, 5speed, any rpm range, Dyno to Dyno, and just with those things what would be the max HP and torque I would be looking at.
No I do not think you were answering the questions properly, within one post, but I guess we eventually got the info out of you.

Anyways, first, not all dynos are calibrated and read identically. You need to know that it is just a tool to measure gains from one mod or tune to another, a "before and after tool". So without a baseline, these numbers won't mean much.
That being said, the LS is rated at 140 at the crank and will generally put down around 115 at the wheel, but depending on the dyno and health of your particular integra, you could easily see 100 to 130whp stock. 115whp would be typical for stock and maybe 125whp with intake/header/exhaust, but again this could be 110whp on one dyno or 140whp on anther, depending on correction factor, atmospheric conditions or dyno type (mustang, dyno jet, dynapack etc....). Tuning your AFR, cam degree and ignition maping properly could maybe net another 5 or 10 hp on top of that.

Long story short, that'll get you around 10 hp....
Old 10-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ Right.
Sad to say but without building the engine in some way, you won't see that much gains. I realized that when I bought my LS a couple months back. I won't be beating anything on the highway but it's so fun driving on back roads with my car.

This is pretty much the same advice CandyRed gave me, and though I didn't follow it all the way (or at all lol) he did point me in the best direction. I got a Short Ram intake (eBay pipe/K&N Filter/Velocity Stack). I do like this setup but you should probably get that cold air intake.
I got a deal on a Tanabe Medallion Touring Exhaust system and got that. This is what it sounds like on my car when it was fully stock:
I've yet to get a header though so I can't comment on that.

Just know that 200-300hp is gonna be hard with this motor without Turbo.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

O.k. thank you both. Either one of you ever had any experience with the Weapon R stainless steel 4-2-1, 3 piece header? That's the one I was looking at due to the fact that I would like to try to keep the catalytic converter in case I move back to a state that requires emissions testing.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope, I have tried a dc sports 4-1 one piece and a dc sport 4-2-1 2 piece. I would recommend the DC Sports 4-2-1 2 piece, oem like fit/finish/install, keeps the cat and very high quality.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome thanks. That one have a nice throaty growl to it?
Old 10-13-2017, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just have the header and intake and still have the original cat and cat back, so it still sounds stockish, except for the intake. It is my daily driver, so I'm not looking for any tuner car sound. I will probably do a highflow cat and oem type r exhaust at some point in time, but I am trying to keep it pretty low key.