Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

GS-R Hatch Vs. Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 02:53 AM
Night Owl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (EnjoyTheRideDC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Of course the body would be stiffer than a DC. Think about it, the DB has a rear deck lid behind the back seats. DC's have that open space behind the back seats, with no additional support whatsoever. That rear deck lid on the DB is pretty much an XL size C-Pillar bar. </TD></TR></TABLE>

To my knowledge a hatchback or wagon version of a car will always handle better than its sedan/coupe counterparts.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by last month's motor trend &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Volvo
S40 T5 AWD sedan
0-60- 6.8 sec
Braking 60-0: 132 ft.
Slalom: 63.6 mph
Figure Eight 27.4 sec @.62 g's
" Brother to V50 wagon, the sedan is less stable when chucked around."

V50 T5 AWD wagon
0-60: 7.0 sec
Braking 60-0 115 ft.
Slalom: 66.0 mph
FIgure Eight 27.2 sec @ .63 g's
"A newer, smaller Volvo wagon hustles like a sport sedan."
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The more boxy a car is, the less the body will twist. Simple as that.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (shutupnskate)

A 4-door will be much more practical for everyday use. Rear visibility is much improved and you don't have to scoot up your seat to let passengers into the back anymore.

Sedan FTW
Old 08-30-2006, 09:07 AM

Default Re: GS-R Hatch Vs. Sedan? (Shipwreck'D)

Another great thing about the Sedan GS-R is my insurance is $100 less a year. Save that 100 for a couple of years and ya got a turbo!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GS-R Hatch Vs. Sedan? (inline4me)

You do realize that they would have to save it for 30 years to buy a kit right?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:03 AM

I remember in some magazine awhile ago they had a hatch and a sedan race car and they were both tight as hell but the sedan was tearing up the track FTW!
Old 08-30-2006, 11:40 AM

Default Re: (Shipwreck'D)

When paired against eachother the ITR sedan was faster than the Hatch when best motoring did the type R car comparison. Good vid.

I own a DB7, its just as fast as any other LS hatch. Its hardly slower than a GSR Hatch and its just about the same as my buddies stock SI.

Bottom line is these are all slow cars really...you're going to need to modify any of these cars to get to blistering speeds. The sedan has a lot more comforts. I'll prolly never own another 2dr car.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you get the 4 door you can also convert it to a house if you get kicked out
Old 08-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IntegraDriver)

Reasons I went 4 door:

Convenience
Cheaper Insurance (most companies)
Sleeper status
Everyone has a 2 door
Old 08-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the only bad thing about a db8 is actually finding one. i was looking for one for a long time and i couldnt find **** so i had to settle for my dc2.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:34 PM

Default Re: (shutupnskate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shutupnskate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

To my knowledge a hatchback or wagon version of a car will always handle better than its sedan/coupe counterparts. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Unfounded claim. The quote is talking about a Volvo, not Integra. What happens on a v50 does not necessarily translate onto integra. Subaru WRX wagon has less rigidity than a sedan. I dont have the number on hands. Same idea, this may not apply to integra.

Much of the car's torsional rigidity is contributed by the A and C pillar of the car. The B, C pillar of DC is larger than a DB. There are also some additional reinforcement on DC that is not found on a DB (except DB8, the JDM 4dr ITR).
That is the reason why DC has more rigidity than DB, and why convertible variants of a car always has less rigidty than a hardtop.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shutupnskate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The more boxy a car is, the less the body will twist. Simple as that.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess U-haul is the best handling car in the world then.

The real difference between DC2 and DB8 is the weight, and 80lb is a lot if you road race. If you drag, well i guess it has a smaller effect.

Modified by gogogomoveit at 3:48 PM 8/30/2006

Modified by gogogomoveit at 3:50 PM 8/30/2006
Old 08-30-2006, 02:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Of course the body would be stiffer than a DC. Think about it, the DB has a rear deck lid behind the back seats. DC's have that open space behind the back seats, with no additional support whatsoever. That rear deck lid on the DB is pretty much an XL size C-Pillar bar. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How sturdy is the rear deck lid connected to the metal chassis? Or is it even connected at all? How strong is the deck lid itself? I highly doubt it would do anything to rigidity.

Modified by gogogomoveit at 3:51 PM 8/30/2006
Old 08-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gogogomoveit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gogogomoveit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How sturdy is the rear deck lid connected to the metal chassis? Or is it even connected at all? How strong is the deck lid itself? I highly doubt it would do anything to rigidity.

Modified by gogogomoveit at 3:51 PM 8/30/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is connected to the chassis. Its the rear deck that holds the 3rd brake light and house the rear speakers. I would think it would be sturdy, i mean its not like you can bend it by hand or anything.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gogogomoveit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Unfounded claim. The quote is talking about a Volvo, not Integra. What happens on a v50 does not necessarily translate onto integra. Subaru WRX wagon has less rigidity than a sedan. I dont have the number on hands. Same idea, this may not apply to integra.

Much of the car's torsional rigidity is contributed by the A and C pillar of the car. The B, C pillar of DC is larger than a DB. There are also some additional reinforcement on DC that is not found on a DB (except DB8, the JDM 4dr ITR).
That is the reason why DC has more rigidity than DB, and why convertible variants of a car always has less rigidty than a hardtop.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good info. With your analysis on c-pillars of the DB and DC chassis, I cant understand how much more support there is on a DC C pillar when the DB has the rear deck lid connected to each end. I've removed plastic panels from each and they look similar in construction. Maybe there's something I have not noticed?

Modified by EnjoyTheRideDC2 at 6:03 PM 8/30/2006
Old 08-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The WRX wagon is essentially a hatchback with two extra doors. There is a giant gap behind the drivers seat just like the dc2, therefore, the roles are reversed and everything matches up as stated by EnjoyTheRideDC2.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:49 PM

Good info. With your analysis on c-pillars of the DB and DC chassis, I cant understand how much more support there is on a DC C pillar when the DB has the rear deck lid connected to each end. I've removed plastic panels from each and they look similar in construction. Maybe there's something I have not noticed?

Modified by EnjoyTheRideDC2 at 6:03 PM 8/30/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the rear deck lid, like J'sracing's C pillar bar, doesnt really do a lot as it essentially only ties the C pillars up and keep them in place, but a lot of the bending motion occurs around the shock tower and lower subframe. Now if the C pillar tie bar is connected onto the chassis floor, that will make a difference. Thats why roll cage add rigidity. DCs has a piece of reinforcing metal right on top of the fuel pump. Kinda acts like a subframe. I havent stripped a DB before,Does DBs has that?

Frankly I would highly doubt that the DC bare frame without any reinforcement would be much stronger than DB. The point that I am trying to bring out is, DC is stronger, because usually DC comes with some invisible reinforcements.

Modified by gogogomoveit at 8:04 PM 8/30/2006

Modified by gogogomoveit at 8:05 PM 8/30/2006
Old 08-30-2006, 08:00 PM

What everyone has said sounds good. one thing that sucks about ahving four doors is having foor doors, hahaha. everyone expects you to drive, I personally dont like to have more than two passengers, just having one you can slightly feel the difference in performance, start adding other people and its not as fun to drive a db8 anymore, or any honda for that matter. The sleeper factor is a big plus, most see a four door teg and assume LS. IMO the lines look much better on the db8, im not hating on dc's or any dc owners opinion, but i prefer the look much more than a hatch. and as someone stated before, most are not going to have an all out race car, so a slight difference in cornering is not going to be a huge drawback(i do believe the dc handles better btw). I still think mine handles better than nearly any other sedan in its class, or above it for that matter, its a Honda, they handle great stock compared to most cars anyway. The point I am making overall is, you will not be dissapointed in a db8, and you will love it very early in your relationship with it. And when you have to part ways with it for one reason or another you will be hurting trying to find another sedan of its caliber. That is all
Old 08-30-2006, 08:37 PM

if i wouldnt have my DB8 i wouldnt be able to get jiggggggyy yoooo , DB8 is just the thing to have , comfort, performance, sleeper look, can fit ya girl in the back seat , DB8 is where your dreams come true
Old 08-30-2006, 09:16 PM

Default Re: (ravenracer)

Don't forget how large the door opening is on the 2-door, it's essentially a huge gap that adds some flex to the chassis.

When the 4-door E36 M3's came out, PTG discovered that the 4 smaller openings, and more centered b-pillar offered much more rigidity than the 2-door where it mattered the most...through the center of the car.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:16 PM

Default Re: (TheGVR4kid)

foe doe's slammed to da grizzound look fawkin gangsta
Old 08-31-2006, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kimi ga Yo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kimi ga Yo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ... The point I am making overall is, you will not be dissapointed in a db8, and you will love it very early in your relationship with it. And when you have to part ways with it for one reason or another you will be hurting trying to find another sedan of its caliber. That is all</TD></TR></TABLE>

AMEN!
Old 08-31-2006, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GS-R Hatch Vs. Sedan? (Shipwreck'D)

In my opinion a hatch looks any day better than a sedan
Old 08-31-2006, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GS-R Hatch Vs. Sedan? (ac_attak)

94-01 4dr db8 are way sexier i think but that's my taste.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ravenracer)

hey don't get jiggy in your car, it's bad luck!! well... more like a superstition, but whatever.. my homeboy got "jiggy" with his girl, the next day, he got rear ended on the freeway in traffic. had to strap his bumper back on with rope hanging off the sides.

then he got "jiggy" again, and his car got towed!

hahaha just kidding, do whatever you want! go DB!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GS-R Hatch Vs. Sedan? (trick_db)

hey bro! i thought you were gonna hit me up bout the door panels! haha i was waiting for you to finish up with your suspension that night so i could stop by. i just figured you were busy with other stuff since then. but i'll swing by on saturday cuz my check will be cleared that morning.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:08 AM

Default Re: (DC TWOin IT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DC TWOin IT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you get the 4 door you can also convert it to a house if you get kicked out </TD></TR></TABLE>
Hey thats a good point! haha

Quick Reply: GS-R Hatch Vs. Sedan?