Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

engine hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine hot

I went for an oil change, next week the temp gauge shows hot i check and there's no engine fluid. i fill up but a week later its all gone. mechanic changes the the radiator and hoses. gauge stays normal but the engine gets really hot very quickly (the rod to hold the hood is hot to touch). Th e mechanic says all is fine but i know something is not right
Old 07-19-2017, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine hot

You went for an oil change, a week later there is no oil in there? Then its gone again a week later? So, temp gauge reads normal, yet the engine is hot? What car, year model all that jazz.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are assuming you think they are related. Engine oil and Coolant are two different fluids. How are figuring out that is getting too hot? the engine get very hot after driving it.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Trial User

integra 2001 50000 miles 1.8l the mechanic checked the oil and said it was fine although the gas cap was leaking im thinking thats bec it gets so hot. unless its the other way around but he checked the oil and said it was fine so i figured it wasnt the oil that was the problem
Old 07-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack, Remove and replace your thermostat. Thats whats causing your temp gauge to go up. Do it now or you will kill your cooling system.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, your gas cap is leaking? I'm confused here.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Fill and bleed the coolant, If your temp gauge is reading hot, replace the thermostat. Run a better radiator and fans and also a coolant chill additive like from Mishimoto. If coolant is disappearing you might have a leak or head gasket leak. If its getting real hot in the engine bay it could be also your fan not turning on. Theres also after market fan switches and thermostats that open the thermo sooner and the switch turns the fans on sooner to keep your engine a bit cooler, meant for racing or such but it could help if your temps where your at get hot like here in CA.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Fill and bleed the coolant, If your temp gauge is reading hot, replace the thermostat. Run a better radiator and fans and also a coolant chill additive like from Mishimoto. If coolant is disappearing you might have a leak or head gasket leak. If its getting real hot in the engine bay it could be also your fan not turning on. Theres also after market fan switches and thermostats that open the thermo sooner and the switch turns the fans on sooner to keep your engine a bit cooler, meant for racing or such but it could help if your temps where your at get hot like here in CA.
I would try to fix the actual problem first, before bandaiding it with aftermarket radiators/fans/thermostats/thermoswitch/additives etc. This sounds to be a commuter, not a high compression or turbo race car....
But properly fill/bleeding the system and checking out the thermostat and thermoswitch does sound like a good plan.
Might need to try a leak down test if that doesnt fix it.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46
I would try to fix the actual problem first, before bandaiding it with aftermarket radiators/fans/thermostats/thermoswitch/additives etc. This sounds to be a commuter, not a high compression or turbo race car....
But properly fill/bleeding the system and checking out the thermostat and thermoswitch does sound like a good plan.
Might need to try a leak down test if that doesnt fix it.
Well if you read my reply I did mention there for rave applications but in his situation like I said people like us in CA have very hot days and especially on a commuter those parts I mentioned are very helpful for dealing with extra hot days when the oem fans, thermostat and fan switch and radiator system fail, these parts I mentioned will aid in helping cool the motor but are more replacement upgrades.

​​​​​​​I agree to fix the main issue before buying or replacing parts not neaded. You said the gauge read hot and there's no coolant, then you filled it up and it disappeared again. I would say fill it more because you probably didn't bleed it right.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have dealt with these same problems in my 2000 integra. First it was a pin hole leak in the top radiator hose, then the bottom hose, then the thermostat and finally the radiator. After all that, it finally stopped leaking and could maintain proper temp in 100 degree traffic with the ac on. I still need to top of the coolant every few months (maybe twice or 3 times a year), with maybe a quart, but it is pretty liveable. I think at some point I may need to replace the head gasket, but it isn't a huge issue at this point.