Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Electrical problems when braking /rough idle please read and help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problems when braking /rough idle please read and help!

Hi,

Idle problem

I have been experiencing some strange problems in my 95 ls 4door.
the first most noticeable thing is that when at idle the tach will "float" from 1,100 to maybe 100 and then back up for a few seconds until it drops back down, the car shakes as if its going to die then it jumps back up. this makes starting out in 1st a pain and scares me in trafic. once im in gear and going it drives normal. its not an everyday problem, if I spend most the day running errands some day it never happens, some it is like this the whole time and some most it appears for a few hours then goes away, it does it both at night when cold and after a long day at over 100 so I don't think its a cooling problem like one of my friends suggested.

Electrical problem

for the last few weeks intermixed with the above, every time I even just touch the brakes my ABS light comes on, my head lights flicker, and then come back slightly and my radio dies, then comes back. EVERY! time I even touch the brakes, or when letting the clutch out at low speeds when it effects rpm.. then the abs light will "click" off and its all back to normal for maybe 30 seconds maybe 2 days, then its always back. some times it happens just out of the blue, but I can always make it happen by taping my brakes.

Also maybe one out of every 15 times I am stopped at a light I can feel and hear a clicking under the brake Pedal ever 1-5 seconds I am summing this is the ABS problem.

any advise, suggestions and storys would be appreciated!!! thank you very much! Ben.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:15 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Electrical problems when braking /rough idle please read and help!

Sounds like a grounding problem...

When one circuit, [brakes] has an effect on other "unrelated" circuits, [head lights, radio] it is almost always related to a grounding problem.

Start by checking the main ground, batt. post and cable clamp, batt. to chassis and chassis to engine, do not just eyeball the connections, remove them clean both contact surfaces, [EG: batt. post and inside of cable clamp] then reconnect making sure the connections are tight. 94
Old 11-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking it might be a connection somewhere but didn't think of grounding. thats a really good idea! i'll go clean all of those today!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As for the idle problem?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MjayCx
As for the idle problem?
iacv is always a great place to start. sounds like it may be sticking. give it a service
Old 11-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the grounding issue. Remember, running a wire directly from your negative battery post is an excellent ground for troubleshooting issues. If you have a ground that look suspicious, jump it to the negative battery and see if the issues go away.

Idle, yeah IACV, but don't forget about the TPS (throttle position sensor). Easy to bench test