Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help me with my occasional idle problem (i have a checklist of what ive tried)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default help me with my occasional idle problem (i have a checklist of what ive tried)

Hey guys. A few weeks back I replaced the engine in my Civic. I checked to make sure all vaccuum lines were on, bled and rebled the coolant. It then had an idle surge from 1.1k to 2k. Then I did some searching around and got info on cleaning the screen on the IACV and adjusting the FITV. I screwed that plug thing farther into the FITV and checked and cleaned what little grime was on the screen of the IACV. The idle problem still existed but was now from 1.1k to 1.6k. It has gotten better, but it was still not corrected. Today I set out once more to eliminate this problem. I took the FITV all the way off, disassembled it, cleaned it, and put it back on. My idle problem seemed to have been fixed when I started my car. But, after driving and putting it into neutral and just pressing the clutch taking it out of gear the problem was there yet, but again it had improved. It now idles from 1.1k to 1.5k. But sometimes it has no idle problem at all. It seems like only when i start driving and stop it does this. But when i leave my car running while it idles the problem seems to not exist. I know its not such a big deal but this is my daily driver and i want it to run perfect. If anyone has any suggestions as to what the problem could be i would appreciate it very much. The throttle body gasket has been reused over and over again but i dont think that is the problem because I never did any messing with it. Its nice and tight. I know this is a nice long post here, but thanks for reading it and thanks for any help.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump please
Old 01-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try unplugging the iacv. if it stops, then you've found your culprit (i have extra iacvs laying around. lmk if you need one)
Old 01-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: help me with my occasional idle problem (homeskillet)

...do you drive your car right away when you start it?? i dont know if its cold up there or something but i usually let my car idle for 2 minutes before driving it...oh yeah and your name cracks me up...somehow homeskillet sounds funny to me.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sometimes i let it warm up depending on how cold it is. i judge that by if my windows are frosty. and also.. i didnt see a plug by the iacv.. is there a sensor there? i could go look again but i dont recall seeing a sensor... and yeah i saw this word somewhere and i was like omg thats weird in some way? it made me laugh too. i havent drove it for over 3 minutes or so since my last try on fixing it. but tonight i will be making a 40 minute trip and ill see how it goes.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (homeskillet)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by homeskillet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sometimes i let it warm up depending on how cold it is. i judge that by if my windows are frosty. and also.. i didnt see a plug by the iacv.. is there a sensor there? i could go look again but i dont recall seeing a sensor... and yeah i saw this word somewhere and i was like omg thats weird in some way? it made me laugh too. i havent drove it for over 3 minutes or so since my last try on fixing it. but tonight i will be making a 40 minute trip and ill see how it goes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the iacv has 2 coolant lines and one electrical connector going into it
Old 01-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: help me with my occasional idle problem (homeskillet)

you can unplug your IACV and it idles better but you didn't fix the problem. Just because unplugging it fixes the problem doesn't mean that the IACV is the culprit.

Unplug the IACV and set the idle to spec, then see if it still surges.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, i took my car for a drive today and my idle problem is:
1. only when my car warms up
2. only after i drive it even if it is warm
3. never goes above 1.4k

and also? how do i adjust my idle? is there a screw somewhere im guessing? thanks for the suggestions. one LAST question too... should i remove and fully dissamble my iacv and clean it? is that often the problem? thanks