Notices

89 Honda Civic sputters- won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Honda Civic sputters- won't crank

I have an 89 Honda Civic Wagon – 4WD. Recently I used it to do some shopping. I got about a mile down the road and it started to sputter. I was able to make it to my first stop and so I shut the car off. Came back out of the store and it was difficult to start. Probably had to start it 5 or more time. I sputtered all the way to the next store – less than a mile down the road – and shut it off. Came out and tried to start it. Very difficult to start. Then it stalled and the starter would do anything - no cranking at all. I took the battery out and charged it over night. Next morning it still wouldn’t crank. I had it towed to my friend’s garage on a flatbed. He reaches in the car and turns the key - it starts immediately. No sputter or anything. I came back with my wife to pick the car up and it started immediately. Ran like a Champ. However, when I drove about 1 or 2 miles down the road and I stepped on the gas pedal it started to sputter again. We went for a walk on the way home and I had to try to start it maybe 10 times or so and even then it sputtered all the way home. I parked it outside and then thought maybe I should have it inside to work on it. So I tried to start it and it was dead just like the night before and it wouldn't crank at all. I moved the gear shift in and out of park several times and tried to start it each time. It was dead. So I pushed it into the garage and left it over night. I tried to start it next morning and it was still dead.

Then I remembered a trick that got an old car started long ago. I took a 2 x 4 and a hammer and hit the starter. After a few good hits, I turned the key and it started right up. Again no sputtering. I haven’t driven it since then. Is the starter problem and the sputtering somehow connected? - Electrically

The car has a history of sputtering but not to the extent that it would stall. I always put dry gas in the tank and eventually it would go away. This usually happens in the rainy season.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 89 Honda Civic sputters- won't crank

if starter is getting stuck definitely should replace that first and go from there a shudder can be due to map sensor or tps no engine codes??