2003 Honda civic LX no crank no start. Help!! - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

2003 Honda civic LX no crank no start. Help!!

Old 12-28-2017, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 2003 Honda civic LX no crank no start. Help!!

Hello good people, I'm a noobie to Honda tech and am really pulling my hair out, at a loss for words but I have a weird issue. I basically woke up at 4 in the morning to take my mother in law to dialysis here in Houston, it was like 30 something degrees outside and went to start my car and no start or no cranking. I got a jump from my neighbor but no start. I assumed it was the starter but I just replaced it a year ago from AutoZone duralast crap as well as recently the alternator. I just drove the car the night before and no issues what so ever. I checked fuses, relays, no CEL, no power loss, fuel pump is priming, relays are clicking when I turn the key. But I replaced the starter again to be safe, lifetime warranty crap and same problem. But I did notice the crank does turn but slow and when I removed the starter, I noticed some of the teeth on the flywheel had a little wear like when you rub metal on metal it's shiny. But didn't notice any missing broken teeth. I want to check the spark plug to see if its covered in oil or gas, I hadn't had time to really take my time checking things cause of the rain we been having here but I took a vid of the noise it's doing, really sounds like the starter is just turning and not engaging the flywheel or something simple, (hopefully) plus I changed the spark plugs about 6-7 months ago ngk's of course. Maybe should just take the starter back and have it tested, but any help guys is appreciated. I really don't think it's the timing belt cause how could it mess up sitting in the cold overnight. Thanks guys

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zqj985w5092aqv/trim_trim_VID_20171226_081935_003_001.mp4?dl=0
Old 12-28-2017, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 Honda civic LX no crank no start. Help!!

sounds to me like something is just frozen
and no the parts store stuff isnt crap
its just that sometimes or better yet alot of times there never installed right to begin with
Old 12-29-2017, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Marcos Barrios View Post
sounds to me like something is just frozen
and no the parts store stuff isnt crap
its just that sometimes or better yet alot of times there never installed right to begin with
​​​​​​​okay I tested the starter and it's good, I pulled the spark plugs out and the ignition coils looked a bit rusty but now i'm thinking it's the crank position sensor or the cam positioning sensor, cause either of those won't start the car. Plus people have been mentioning its the timing belt that's either off by some teeth or broke. But if I take off the valve cover I can check the timing belt and be sure instead of guessing. Its crazy cause I thought a bad cam and crank sensor throw CEL codes? But I'm getting none. Taking the valve over off won't be bad cause it's got an oil leak anyway, I can just be killing 2 birds anyway. Any input?
Old 01-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cam and crank sensors almost never go bad
yes id take the valve cover off and check the timing belt and rotate the engine by hand a few times and check again make sure its timed right and the timing marks are spot on

as for your spark plugs id also check those and see if there still throwing firing

if you want a step by step on how to do any of those two things let me know
Old 01-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes id take the valve cover off and check the timing belt and rotate the engine by hand a few times and check again make sure its timed right and the timing marks are spot on

as for your spark plugs id also check those and see if there still throwing firing

Ok, with my luck i watch it be the computer, i'm going to check the timing belt later, i just bought the felpro gasket set today so hopefully i'm that much closer to finding out the problem.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:34 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

is it cranking with the new starter or not ?

parts store alternators and starters tend to be a crapshoot
Old 01-24-2018, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, I'm sorry for no update in a while, so i finally took the valve cover off and checked the timing belt and sure enough the cam is off time with the crank. I wrestled the crank bolt, (son of a bi%^&*, after breaking 2 extensions, but ended up heating it up with my harbor freight heat gun and got it!) and was able to turn the engine by hand with a ratchet and it wasn't seized or anything. plus the valves were moving up and down in the proper order: 1,3,4,2. But i noticed that when i was turning the engine by hand there would be a hard spot and then as i kept turning it, it would just keep turning normal. So is that normal, if my valves were bent or hit the piston, would it be totally seized and not able to turn? Plus i still need to remove the water pump and tensioner to check what the culprit is and also i inspected the timing belt and it didn't look really wore but it could just be stretched a bit but it's a 2003 with I'm assuming the original timing belt at 220,000 miles on it so either way i'm replacing the t belt, tensioner, spring, and bolt, water pump, lower t belt cover, because all but like 1 or 2 bolt holes on the cover broke free and the gasket was loose and on the floor and it looked like the crank pully was rubbing off plastic because it wasn't fastened down by the bolts cause the cover was loose. I also am going to replace the valve cover gasket cause i noticed it had been leaking for a while and found that there's a little part that's like rusted through, i put some jb weld putty and it sealed it up or i might just but another new or used valve cover. Plus since the crank is way off from the cam timing marks, once i line the crank it will be in time? I just have to of course make sure the cam is tdc when the no. 1 valve is at the top position and then once the tensioner, water pump are installed then i slip the new t belt on and rotate several times and make sure there still in time right? thanks for being patient and for all the responses, keep them coming. As you can see it's no where near being on time with the mark .

As you can see this is how mine is supposed to look but it don't look that way.
You can see the crack on the inside where the valve cover gasket sits. I thought the leak was coming from the rear cam seal but I put some black gasket maker around the rear cam seal but my brother in law but an aluminum real cam seal and it was still leaking, but i found it was the crack. Before removing the valve cover and seeing where the leak was coming from myself, I just assumed it was the gasket, but see how i thought it was the rear cam seal or the gasket, cause it was right next to it!
Eaten away, plus you can see where either my brother in law knew about it and tried to pack it with gasket maker, or the place my gf got the car.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hay beats bang
its about time you got to working on the car ^_^

when you rotate the engine by hand and you feel that hard spot with your engine being off time
thats your valves touching the pistons but no worries you cant damage them when rotating by hand so your safe

looks like at the end of the day all you have in front of you is a basic timing belt job
now have you ever done a timing belt job before?
its not too hard and most people can do it, it just takes time and be patient
my guess as to why your belt slipped is going to be the tentioner so make sure you replace it
your water pump you can change it also while your in there
but if your car wasnt overheating before the no start then the old one is still working so you can get away with not even touching it
but rotate the water pump a few times with your hand and make sure thats not the reason your broken down right now!!

and yes once you get the crank timing mark and the cam timing marks both lined up with there arrows youll be in time
heres a useful tip when doing this job loosen all your spark plugs either remove them or leave then in the holes but loose so that air can pass threw that way you can rotate your motor alot easier
and also once you set the motor back in time and you go to rotate the motor a few times to make sure your still in time
youll here the sound of air coming from the spark plug holes air just shooting out if you here that sweet sound then you are safe and you did it right

let me know if you have any questions man
good luck
Old 01-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah sounds good! I was lucky because the car was sitting not driving and went start during a cold night and no crank, no start, so I'm just trying to get the parts I found a place Honda parts unlimited:

$217.14

Subtotal Amount

WATER PUMP

Part #: 19200-PLM-A01

$75.23

Cover, Timing Belt (Lower)

Part #: 11811-PLC-000

$18.99

Tensioner Set, Timing Belt(tensioner and bolt)

Part #: 04145-PLC-315

$93.24

Spring, Timing Belt Adjuster

Part #: 14516-PLC-000

$3.93

Belt, Timing (104RU22 Gb-333)

Part #: 14400-PMM-A02

$25.75
Old 01-26-2018, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont pay double for no reason bud
heres the autozone price

WP312K1A

and yes these parts will last just as long as the ones you were looking at
and there also lifetime warranty
Old 02-11-2018, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so another question, before I get the parts, i'm wondering if I might have touched the valves and pistons. I been looking at the south main auto channel and found a video where the customer was driving and the belt broke and basically the valves touched the pistons and the guy from south main auto did a compression test and was not getting good readings. Now should I do a compression test before i order parts? or could the valves and pistons be fine because the car was not running when i jumped teeth during the freezing morning when i tried to start it? If i have to, i just have to buy the gauge and borrow an air compressor. Plus once again i can turn the engine by hand by the crank bolt and it moves and the valves go up and down, nothing is seized just as i turn it gets to a hard spot and i just turn past it and such.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Long time no see, been working on the car off and on, I went ahead and bought an air compressor and harbor freight cylinder leak down tester and switched out the leak gauge with a regular 0-120 psi gauge to test cylinder leakage. I went ahead and just put everything back into time using the original tbelt and I'm scratching my head cause as I set cylinder 1 to tdc up on the compression stroke I'm getting air coming out of all cylinders via the spark plug hole. I tested all cylinders and it's all the same. Now remeber the crank was off time about 90 or so degrees so I had to turn the crank by hand to line up the cam to tdc and slip off the timing belt to turn the crank pulley to line it up with the mark on the block. I'm wondering if I should adjust the intake and exhaust lashes cause maybe the valves aren't seating properly. Because it feels waaayyyy smoother when I set them IN time than when they were out of time and I would hand rotate the engine it would feel a little harder. I really can't afford to have a "mechanic" do it when ive already done so much to the car and just don't trust them anymore, but was just hoping to replace the timing belt, tensioner,bolt and spring, and water pump and hopefully it works but got to thinking what if somehow i bent valves and it would be a waste of money replacing the said parts, so that's why I bought the air compressor and gauges. anything guys?

Last edited by Beats Bang; 03-12-2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Misspelled parts
Old 03-13-2018, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope youu only turned motor COUNTER clockwise when resetting...not good to reverse rotation of an engine.

And a 90* timing jump??? These engines hit valve to piston at only 4 teeth off...you must have been 8 teeth or more...that's not good.

And when you reset time you made sure crank wasn't 180* out right? Can't go by marks....stick a long screw driver or 1/4 in extension into #1 to verify it actually is at TDC. You'll know cuz as soon as you get into plug hole screwdriver or whatever will only go down maybe 1/2 in if piston is up
Old 03-14-2018, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Justin Ripley View Post
I hope youu only turned motor COUNTER clockwise when resetting...not good to reverse rotation of an engine.

And a 90* timing jump??? These engines hit valve to piston at only 4 teeth off...you must have been 8 teeth or more...that's not good.

And when you reset time you made sure crank wasn't 180* out right? Can't go by marks....stick a long screw driver or 1/4 in extension into #1 to verify it actually is at TDC. You'll know cuz as soon as you get into plug hole screwdriver or whatever will only go down maybe 1/2 in if piston is up
Of course I rotate the engine counter clockwise, plus I have been using the method of sticking something long into the spark plug hole as well, and don't really know what you mean by the crank being 180 * out? Of course the crank is lined up with the timing mark on the block as well as the cam being in the "up" position with the 2 little marks aligned with the head and from what I can tell the piston is all the way up by using the long extension method, right before it starts going down, I only turn it real slow back up to the top.

Last edited by Beats Bang; 03-14-2018 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Misspellings
Old 03-14-2018, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK let me ask this. Did you take belt off and just turn crank to realign? If so this is wrong way to re time.

If it jumped 90*, you would need to turn cam/crank until crank is aligned right, then remove belt and turn the CAM to re set the time.

But a 90* jump, I'd say it's not good for valves/pistons
Old 03-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I aligned the cam with the belt on and then slipped it off and rotated the crank counter clock wise to the mark. If I rotate the cam using it's bolt, it loosens up because the engine runs counter clock wise, and am not supposed to turn it clock wise right?
Old 03-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Never turn CRANK clockwise...cam should be OK

If you timed the way you said I believe it's still off timing...always set crank first then align cam....I jumped two teeth once, set crank, slipped belt off cam and rotated cam clockwise to set then slipped back on, no issues.

Also when mine jumped time it happened at work, and I work in a shop, I was able to unplug cam sensor and car would start. Wouldn't run good, but it was enough to drive into my bay. You could unplug your cam sensor, if it starts then your timing is off. But I was 2 teeth off not 90* like you. So you do risk damage if it's still that far off.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man I sure hope it's just off time cause when I it happened it was fine the night before and it didn't even crank or start. So then will the cam be easy to turn counterclockwise to line up tdc? Cause you understand what I mean when I tried to turn the cam counterclockwise without the belt on that it was to hard to turn and the bolt came lose.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just thought about it, it's hard when the damn belts on, and maybe not when the belt is off lol
Old 03-14-2018, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cam will definitely be hard to turn. I used vice grips on cam...don't use bolt cuz you could over torque it by trying to turn cam.

It will be hard to turn since you will be compressing valves by hand basically.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay well let me try that and hopefully nothing is bent once I re align everything and leak down test it. I'll maybe get to it Friday. but i really don't see how I did it is any different, but will try it like that.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well even if it's off 1 tooth which is easy to do, it will prevent engine from starting...

Now I'm curious too, do you now have it cranking? Or is it still no crank no start
Old 03-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't tried starting it because I don't want to risk messing anything up because there's a reason why it jumped in the first place, all the timing components are original with 220,000 miles on it and my dumb *** broke 2 teeth on the crankshaft timing gear, so the crank sensor reads those teeth and I broke 2 of them. I just really want to make sure there is no damage to the valves, leak down test it and then I'll buy new tbelt, tensioner and bolt, and water pump and now the crankshaft timing gear. It will be my car if I can and will fix it. It was my gf car but she got a new hrv. I'm fortunate that's it's in my garage and I can take my time with it but would definitely want to get it working.

Last edited by Beats Bang; 03-14-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 08-13-2018, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Beats Bang View Post
I haven't tried starting it because I don't want to risk messing anything up because there's a reason why it jumped in the first place, all the timing components are original with 220,000 miles on it and my dumb *** broke 2 teeth on the crankshaft timing gear, so the crank sensor reads those teeth and I broke 2 of them. I just really want to make sure there is no damage to the valves, leak down test it and then I'll buy new tbelt, tensioner and bolt, and water pump and now the crankshaft timing gear. It will be my car if I can and will fix it. It was my gf car but she got a new hrv. I'm fortunate that's it's in my garage and I can take my time with it but would definitely want to get it working.
Well hello people once again, i know i will get some boos but soorry its been so long since any update but i got burned bent valves! I finally got the head off and bought the felpro gasket set from Advanced auto so i can have the shop replace the valve stem seals, cam seal, and inner spark plug tube seals. And then just got to get the timing belt shiznit lol.

Its set tdc up sprocket up and markings even with block and still gaps on valves and the valces look like charcoal lol

Head gasket didnt look bad at all, my gf knew not to ever drive the car if overheating, so bad a$$.

Yes im taking it with the cam assembly lol