Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Sporadically, Engine taking a few key turns to start

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sporadically, Engine taking a few key turns to start

I have a 2008 Honda Civic LX 4 door automatic transmission with 80,000 miles. About a month ago, I was driving to home inspections (I drive to a few a day) and when I got in my car after the 2nd house, my car didn't crank when I turned the key. The accessories turned on, but the car didn't start. After a few more turns the car started to crank. Then after the 4th try, the car started. This happened a week later, and has basically happened once a week since. This does NOT happen when I get up in the morning and first start my car after sitting over night. It's only happened after I've driven around to a few stops, and then I head to my next stop and it won't start until after a few attempts. Yesterday I drove to a few houses/stops and then stopped for 5 mins to get gas. When I went to start my car to head to another house, it took like 7 tries this time. The first few did nothing except turn on accessories. Then it finally started to crank a bit and then it eventually started after almost 10 tries. Today, my car started with no problem, but I suspect it will happen again in a few days or next week.

Note: There is NO clicking ever. Usually the first turn gives either no sound or some slow cranking, then the next few it has slow cranking, then slightly more cranking then finally starts. The last time it happened I had a few turns with nothing but accessories turning on. I figured my battery had died. But then after about 7-10 tries, the cranking got faster/more and more, and finally the car started.

Anyone know what's up?
Old 03-27-2019, 02:28 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Sporadically, Engine taking a few key turns to start

I would suspect your starter is on it's last legs. And not just the solenoid of the starter (that would be the clicking issue) but the actual starter motor is about to die completely.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since it doesn't click, that's a good thing right? I have experienced in other cars where a car won't start and it just clicks. My car just seems to have a slow crank and then finally starts after a few key turns.

Someone mentioned it might be a bad ground but I'm not too knowledgeable on checking grounds.

Any tips on checking the starter? I'll check online and youtube. Thanks
Old 04-03-2019, 12:51 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Clicking is typically a bad solenoid of the starter, it can't throw the gear out to turn the motor over so it doesn't complete the circuit to put current through the starter motor.

I am not sure if there is any solid starter "tests". I was always under the impression it works or it doesn't.

Grounds, first your need to know where they are at and most people just clean all contact points and re-tighten them if loose(ned).
Old 04-09-2019, 01:50 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car is having the same issue. 2009 Honda Civic DX. Were you able to figure out what was wrong with yours? I already replaced the battery and starter, and still not resolved for my car.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just an update, I replaced the starter and it fixed my issue.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 07 is doing the same thing. Battery is good. I replaced the starter and the ignition switch. Still, it intermittently fails to crank. No rhyme or reason. Sometimes it's first thing in the morning and sometimes after I've driven recently. I ordered a new relay for the fuel pump, but I haven't put it in. If it isn't starter or ignition switch, what might it be?