Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

HOW-TO: Power Window switch repair 2000 Integra GS-R

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon6 HOW-TO: Power Window switch repair 2000 Integra GS-R

My brother's 2000 DC2 had an issue with his driver's window going in one direction but not the other. Here's a quick repair I did to the switch. Why not just go buy another switch in a junkyard ?.... well it's not like Iowa has many 3rd Gen Integra's lying in the junkyard. The other option was to pay $160 for a new one from the dealer!

It turns out the micro switch on the circuit board was badly coated with carbon from all the sparking it does when the metal contacts hit the other piece. All you have to do it disassemble it, clean it up, and put it back together.

Tools needed:

-philips screwdriver
-small flat head screwdriver
-small tweezers will be VERY helpful with reassembling the switch
-soldering iron
-solder wick
-new solder

The pics should explain it in further detail.

After the bad switch is cleaned up, reassemble everything in reverse order and it should be good as new. I'm assuming this will work for any switch from Honda Acura, not just Integras. In most cases I've read it seems the driver's master switch goes bad most often because the driver is always putting their own window up/down often compared to other windows.

Hope this helps everyone.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: HOW-TO: Power Window switch repair 2000 Integra GS-R

A good write up. I will have to remember this when my p/w stop working
Old 04-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice to have a good write up with pics for this mod. I was actually doing this on DA window switches 10yrs ago and reselling them. If after cleaning the contacts the switch still doesn't work perfectly you can actually add solder or solder another piece of conductive metal onto the old contact. Often with very old switches the contact metal will actually wear away so that the contacts don't make good contact. In that case simply cleaning things doesn't fix the problem entirely.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colin
Nice to have a good write up with pics for this mod. I was actually doing this on DA window switches 10yrs ago and reselling them. If after cleaning the contacts the switch still doesn't work perfectly you can actually add solder or solder another piece of conductive metal onto the old contact. Often with very old switches the contact metal will actually wear away so that the contacts don't make good contact. In that case simply cleaning things doesn't fix the problem entirely.
Colin,
Thanks for adding that info to the thread. This fix will work for most cases, but you're right when it's really bad the metal will be worn away enough that you may have to add solder like you've done on those DA's.

A guy could take this a step further and possibly find a different model's window switch... ie: remove the switch from a Civic, Accord, CRV, etc... and put in a _____. There's probably some cross-model similarities in a lot of Hondas.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:47 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Very good write up. 94
Old 04-17-2019, 07:31 AM
Trial User

I had to register to say thanks for this. My window was playing up for months and the other day just decided to stop working altogether.

I was thinking this may have been a little too much for my skills but I managed to do it without any soldering. I just pried the side panel off and scraped away at the connections with my mini flat-head. A bit of WD40 and my window is like new!

These forums are just gold. I don't hang out on them but whenever I need you, you are there! Amazing lol

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!