Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 11-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
my93accord
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default temperature indicator goes up and then moves down-is it normal?

Hi,
Sometimes while driving and also sometimes after I park the car, i see the temp pointer rises up. Later it drops down to where it is normally. Is it normal behavior?

I have read some older posts and it states possible problem with water pump or thermosat. I did timing belt service 3 months ago and then they replaced water pump. SO might be thermostat. Before i even think of this as problem, I thought I should ask here if it is a concern at all.
my93accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
The-Kid
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to The-Kid
Default Re: temperature indicator goes up and then moves down-is it normal? (my93accord)

Mine and most of other people's car, the temp gauge stays put. No matter the conditions. Try this.

When did you change your coolant? A flush? (not a probable cause)
It is most likely the thermostat, ever changed it? (Try this last)
Does both of your fan work? Turn on the A/C and see if both fans move. See if it turns on at idle. (Most likely the fan switch doesn't work, or the fan doesn't work)
Is there air in the system? If so bleed the air out.
The-Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
my93accord
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: temperature indicator goes up and then moves down-is it normal? (The-Kid)

I think I changed the radiator,upper/lower hoses a year ago and new coolant was put in.
I have not changed the thermostat within last five years.

The fan works. AT idle after some time, it kicks on. Also, when I start the engine off, the fan runs for a while and automatically shuts off.

So, I suspect it may be thermostat opening late.

I agree with you that the pointer should not move but it does in my case. Another thing I saw while driving at highway which as up/down hills, the temperature dial moves up and comes down later. As it moves up past half-way(as in pic), it scares me.

Mechanics are confusing. I called honda dealer and they said its normal if the pointer moves up to half mark.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Jstall7543
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: temperature indicator goes up and then moves down-is it normal? (The-Kid)

You need to burp the air out of the coolant system! I had the same problem after changing a upper hose! It took me a while to figure out the problem but that was it! Click the image to open in full size.
Jstall7543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
NokBlue
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: temperature indicator goes up and then moves down-is it normal? (Jstall7543)

sounds like your thermostat is sticking.
NokBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
Fern413
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: temperature indicator goes up and then moves down-is it normal? (NokBlue)

you need a new thermostat Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
my93accord
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: temperature indicator goes up and then moves down-is it normal? (Fern413)

I will go for a new thermostat then. Should I buy it from dealer or aftermarket like advance auto parts is fine?

Other suggestion of getting air out of coolant system is also worth considering. Should then do a coolant flush?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
CD5 Jeebies!
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: temperature indicator goes up and then moves down-is it normal? (my93accord)

OEM thermostat.....

[quote=pos_cd5]i disapprove of wheels. and "wheel in inches" > "girls age"? [img]http://images.honda-tech.com/set1//smile/emcrook.gif[/img]
i also disapprove of your vtak sticker too...but who cares, im a pompous ricer! [img]http://images.honda-tech.com/set1/smile/embeer.gif[/img] [/quote]

CD5 Jeebies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
spoonef
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to spoonef
Default Re: temperature indicator goes up and then moves down-is it normal? (I got the CD5 Jeebies!)

thermo stuck open
spoonef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #10
A_Rotary_Guy
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to A_Rotary_Guy

I would say it's most likely the thermostat is sticking closed, then heating up enough to open up. If it was stuck open it means that the car would not warm up and enter closed loop. If there was air in the system the car would more likely just have shitty heat, never seen a car overheat unless it had a lot of air, meaning it was pretty low on coolant. Definitely go with the OEM thermostat. Aftermarket ones have a much higher probability of failing compared to OEM ones. Also, I'd definitely recommend flushing the cooling system when doing this since you'll lose some coolant during the process anyways. Click the image to open in full size.
A_Rotary_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
00, 96, accord, car, closed, driving, gauge, heat, honda, hondatech, indication, indicator, indicators, loop, normal, temp, temperature