Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda Rust Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rust Warranty?

I read somewhere(i forgot where, i think it was in my car manual) that there is a honda rust waranty on the bodypannels? I am starting ot get some(not much but its enough) on the wheel well. its right where the botto of the car meets the rear pannel on the pass. side. its starting to bubble up(not much at all but its barely) so i was going ot see if i could do something b4 winter sets in. if there isnt a waranty on it, is there any way i can stop it from doin that? any info would be helpful
Old 11-06-2004, 02:04 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Honda Rust Warranty? (silentblackhat)

generally all manufacturers have a similar rust warranty which is against rust perforation (rust through from the inside out) due to...and here's the kicker.....a defect in the metal. Rust is actually a natural state for metal which is why preventing rust is so difficult. The odds of having a piece of steel in the car rust from a "defect" is virtually impossible so the warranty in effect is little more than words used to sell a car. Most parts of North America don't need much more than what the factory builds into their cars to prevent rust unless you live in the North Eastern region where Canada and the US join along the coast. The use of rock salt speeds up the rust process immensely which is why undercoating is so popular in these areas.

As for your problem, you have to think of rust as cancer, unless you physically remove it, it will still grow so until you can get the proper body work done on that area my advice to you is to go to a local auto parts store and buy a "rust inhibitor" spray can like RUST CHECK. Spray the area liberally and it should prevent the rust from spreading until you can get it looked at. It will only control the rust rather than stop it.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Honda Rust Warranty? (00Red_SiR)

would it be good to sand it off to bare metal and then spray that on? its not a big spot at all, its just...welll its just there andi dont want it to spread that far(or at all), any info would be helpful
Old 11-07-2004, 02:55 AM
All Motor Mentor

the short answer would be yes but then the metal in that area wouldn't have any paint on it. So I would do it properly now to remove the rust or I would just spray it with rust check to stop the rust until you can do it properly.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silentblackhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I read somewhere(i forgot where, i think it was in my car manual) that there is a honda rust waranty on the bodypannels? I am starting ot get some(not much but its enough) on the wheel well. its right where the botto of the car meets the rear pannel on the pass. side. its starting to bubble up(not much at all but its barely) so i was going ot see if i could do something b4 winter sets in. if there isnt a waranty on it, is there any way i can stop it from doin that? any info would be helpful</TD></TR></TABLE>
What year and model?
Old 11-07-2004, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Honda Rust Warranty? (Chiovnidca)

i have a 99 civic ex
Old 11-07-2004, 11:17 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: Honda Rust Warranty? (Chiovnidca)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What year and model?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's obviously a honda civic between 92-2000 and the warranty has been the way I described it for all those years.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on where it is, you could do it yourself. Do it just as you said, sand down to bare metal and repaint it. Make sure you use a sealer first (or a sealing paint).
If you remove all the rusted metal, it should be good for another few years.

Im starting to get some rust on my inner rear 1/4 panel and am going to sand and paint w/ rustoleum in that area. Its covered by those rubber things, so I dont care that it doesnt match perfectly.

FIY: Ground a large zinc block to the chassis and paneling and it will prevent rust.
One of my father's friends has a 1980 Toyota pos pickup that is perfectly rust-free from this.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Honda Rust Warranty? (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it's obviously a honda civic between 92-2000 and the warranty has been the way I described it for all those years.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The rust perforation warranty is good for 5 years.