Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Certified Pre Owned Doesn't Mean What Honda Claims It Means

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Certified Pre Owned Doesn't Mean What Honda Claims It Means

I had found a CPO 2010 Civic Coup via an online search. The dealer offered the price I wanted. I traveled to the dealer to look at the car and purchase it as long as it was what the dealer advertised. The dealer assured me the car was ready to drive off the lot.

"150-point mechanical and appearance inspection and reconditioning". That's what Honda and the dealer claim for CPO. If it's listed as CPO then it's CPO, right? It has no noticeable body issues, right? If it's ready to drive off the lot and it's CPO then the mechanic and body shop have checked it, right? It meets high standards, right?

Wrong.

The car had major scratches all over the hood, paint chips all over the rear bumper, dings and dents in places, and a major dent and scratches over the driver side rear wheel. The salesman said it's no problem because his body guy hadn't even looked at the car yet.

That sure doesn't mesh with the CPO description/claim. It sure doesn't mesh with telling me to pick up the CPO car. I want to call Honda to complain about the dealer. Does anyone know a number for Honda dealer services or some department that oversees dealers?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Certified Pre Owned Doesn't Mean What Honda Claims It Means

Believing anything a used car salesman says is your mistake.
Their motto: "there's an *** for every seat"
Old 01-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Trial User

Right, but doesn't CPO mean something? Isn't there a certain/higher standard for CPO cars? This one, body wise, wasn't even up to the standard of an average used car found on any little lot.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Careful on the CPO, as there is "Honda CPO" (American Honda) and "_________ Honda CPO" (insert dealer name). A local dealership is notorious for selling "____________ Honda CPO" cars that I swear, came from Katrina/Sandy areas, etc. Rusted brakes and suspension, stained interiors, f'd up paint that their detail guys basically rattle can them.
Caveat emptor
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Two things, Honda is not going to fix all the paint and body issues on a trade in regardless of cpo or not. Calling, writing a letter or sending an email will accomplish absolutely nothing.

Go back to searching and find another car. You may have been lied to by a car salesman. Welcome to the club.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Trial User

It was Honda CPO, not dealer Honda CPO.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Regarding Honda fixing all the body issues on a trade - this wasn't a matter of a few small issues. There was a major dent and there were major scratches over the driver's side rear tire (note the images in the ad show a near pristine body), and there were major paint chips on the back. Major paint chips means 1-3 inches long and a quarter of an inch thick paint chips.

The car wasn't even worthy of being shown as a regular used car on a neighborhood lot, much less worthy of being shown as a CPO on a dealer lot.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm still not sure why you're so mad about it. A car didn't look as good in person as in pics, happens all the time. How much money are you out with this whole deal?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hoodwinked, bamboozled, just plain salesman shenanigans. How can you tell if the salesman is lying to you? Watch to see if his lips move....
Sorry for your bad experience
Make sure you post a review on their site...make others aware
Old 01-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MR Rodgers
I'm still not sure why you're so mad about it. A car didn't look as good in person as in pics, happens all the time. How much money are you out with this whole deal?
I had worse then this and didn't get as butt-hurt. I had found what appeared to be a clean, bone stock, low mileage 2003 s2000. Worked out a deal to trade in my si in for it and everything. Spent all day Friday in my driveway removing my S2 header, KW v3's, motor mounts and flashpro. Drive an hour and a half to the dealer on Saturday to do the deal.

Get to the dealer and I go looking for the car so I can look it over before I see the salesman. First thing, bumper was a shitty respray that was peeling in spots, rear bumper rebar was hacked up for some reason, quarters panel had small holes from sheetmetal screws, front fenders had tiny dots of masking tape....covering more holes.

In the end I did a bunch of work, drove 3 hours total, and wasted money on gas all to look at a roach of a s2000 for all of 4-5 mins.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Exactly, I drove 30 mins to check out an evo that was "pristine" and ran better than new. When I got there the car was a turd, barely held an idle, clearcoat falling off and was missing a seatbelt. None of which was in the description. I shook the guys hand said no thanks and left. Sales people lie and pictures don't tell the whole truth. It sucks but it happens, I'm sure if the op keeps looking he'll find a good deal.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, on my way home the salesman called me asking where I was, told him already heading home, car was nothing like described and had far too many cosmetic issues to concider for any price. Then hung up before he got a chance to say anything back. I also trashed em' on the online survey they sent me
Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 AM
Trial User

"Yup, on my way home the salesman called me asking where I was, told him already heading home, car was nothing like described and had far too many cosmetic issues to concider for any price. Then hung up before he got a chance to say anything back. I also trashed em' on the online survey they sent me."

The difference between "why are you so butt hurt" and reasonable response seems pretty slim.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, you don't link to the car in question or mention the dealer. You also don't mention how far you traveled to see the car.

I don't know why you'd be upset, enough to create an account on a forum and rant then not even give a link to the car.

Oh no, you drove 30 minutes and spent 10 minutes of your time looking at a car and then left? Sounds like you had a lot of money invested in it huh? Wait, you had maybe $10 worth of gas and that's all. You didn't buy it, you didn't try to buy it, you didn't get a loan for it, what's the harm?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what i can see in the pictures, the dealership seems to be within guidelines for Honda Certification. It is less than 6 years old with less than 80k miles. The dent you mention on the driver-side quarter panel is less than in inch in size. Tiny rock chips are not considered. And i couldn't make out any scratches from the pictures.

I am very picky about the vehicles condition when shopping for a used vehicle. Though this vehicle in question seems to be within Honda guidelines, i admit it probably wouldn't pass my standards. But i blame my OCD, not the dealership.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Well, you don't link to the car in question or mention the dealer. You also don't mention how far you traveled to see the car.

I don't know why you'd be upset, enough to create an account on a forum and rant then not even give a link to the car.

Oh no, you drove 30 minutes and spent 10 minutes of your time looking at a car and then left? Sounds like you had a lot of money invested in it huh? Wait, you had maybe $10 worth of gas and that's all. You didn't buy it, you didn't try to buy it, you didn't get a loan for it, what's the harm?
:QFT:
Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this rant has run its course.