Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Valve cleaning question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve cleaning question

I'm putting back together my b16a head, using the original valves. I want to clean the valves first, though. I soaked them in carb cleaner and the carbon loosened up a little. Are there other alternatives? Can I sand them with fine grit? Scrape the build up off with something? Any suggestions, I don't want to fug up my valves.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2003, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve cleaning question (BeerMan)

They should be bead/sand blasted. They will be super clean after that.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve cleaning question (Quantum_CRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quantum_CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They should be bead/sand blasted. They will be super clean after that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the reply. I want to clean them myself, I don't feel like taking them somewhere. Also, I don't need them super clean, I just want to get the carbon deposits off.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:53 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put them in the head. Get an air angle grinder, with a small cup brush, and use that. If you leave them out and do it, just dont mess up the valve seat.

-Ace
Old 07-25-2003, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve cleaning question (Aceman64)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aceman64 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Put them in the head. Get an air angle grinder, with a small cup brush, and use that. If you leave them out and do it, just dont mess up the valve seat.

-Ace</TD></TR></TABLE>

Clarification: Can I use a drill, or dremel? Do you mean a wire brush (I am assuming I would use a fine wire in that case)? What happens if I leave them out and clean them? How much danger would there be in fing up the seat?

Thanks people

Modified by BeerMan at 2:47 PM 7/25/2003
Old 07-25-2003, 10:29 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BeerMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Clarification: Can I use a drill, or dremel? Do you mean a wire brush (I am assuming I would use a fine wire in that case)? What happens if I leave them out and clean them? How much danger would there be in fing up the seat?

Thanks people</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah you could use a drill with the cup brush on it. Wire wheel is ok, but the cup brush is easier to get on them with. Yeah a fine wire would probably be your best bet. I dont know how much danger you would be in. I didnt want you to hit the backside and the valves not seat properly.

-Ace
Old 07-25-2003, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve cleaning question (Aceman64)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aceman64 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah you could use a drill with the cup brush on it. Wire wheel is ok, but the cup brush is easier to get on them with. Yeah a fine wire would probably be your best bet. I dont know how much danger you would be in. I didnt want you to hit the backside and the valves not seat properly.

-Ace</TD></TR></TABLE>

you mean the back side of the valves? or the seat? Also, would it be alright to clean up the seats with some fine grit sandpaper or is this not necessary/ risky?

Old 07-25-2003, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't mess with the seats... other than that, you should be ok.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, I understand that you may not want to got through the trouble of getting the valves bead blasted but that really is the right way to do it, or use a wire wheel on a high speed grinder but you still should get the valves refaced after you do this. I wouldn't put the valves in the head and try to clean it because the majority of the carbon is going to be on the back side of the valves plus if you hit the seat you'll need a valve job-just to save a few bucks or a little time, doesn't seem worth it to me. I wish i could think of an alterative but I can't think of anything that makes more sense.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve cleaning question (HEAD)

Soak them in automatic transmisson fluid for a day. Then use one of those plastic scotch brite pads.