Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

help w/ timing belt and white mark on crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help w/ timing belt and white mark on crank pulley

I did my timing belt. With the crank pulley off, every thing lined up. This includes the cam gears and crank timing gear. Thats all good. But when i put on the timing cover and crank pulley, the pointer does not line up with the white mark. The white mark is to the ~10 mm to the left (counterclockwise) of the pointer on the timing cover. what gives, is this right?? what does this mean?
Old 07-08-2003, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: help w/ timing belt and white mark on crank pulley (keith_phan)

if the white mark on the crank pulley is not lining up with the pointer on the timing cover at TDC, then your cam timing is not lined up properly.

if it helps, try pulling the spark plug from cylinder #1 and slide a LONG screw driver into the cylinder. manually crank the engine and watch the screwdriver's movements while you do this. when the screwdriver tops out in the cylinder you are AT TDC and the white mark on the crank pulley should be very close to the pointer on the timing cover.

hth, J
Old 07-08-2003, 08:57 PM

Default Re: help w/ timing belt and white mark on crank pulley (sleeper4dr)

why is it that the timing sprocket mark, not the crank pulley, is lined up perfectly to tdc but, my crank pulley mark does not line up with the timing line on the timing cover? can someone please explain?
Old 07-09-2003, 10:52 AM

help
Old 07-09-2003, 01:31 PM

ne1?
Old 07-09-2003, 01:43 PM

When you say timing sprocket do you mean the cam gears??? If so then im sure somehow the cam gears got knocked out of place....i doubt the crank pulley mark would be innacurate. We had that trouble (cam gears moved when changing belt) when changing the belt on my b18c. Move the gears to the poper position and also the crank pulley to the proper position. Then put the belt on....and yes using a long screwdriver helps out a lot with making sure it's TDC.

Andrew
Old 07-09-2003, 03:05 PM

Default Re: help w/ timing belt and white mark on crank pulley (dreweg)

by timing spocket i meant the gears of the oil pump. it lines up at tdc witht he cams, but when i put the crank pulley on, the white mark (tdc) does not line up with the timing cover mark. what now?

so which do i go by? the tdc marks on the oil gear, or tdc marks on the crank pulley?
Old 07-09-2003, 05:10 PM

Odds are your cam gears moved a little when you were taking the other belt off..or sometime in between. While the belt is off get the crank to TDC...line the white mark up with the mark on the plastic cover. Then manually move the cam gears to TDC with your hands. As long as these 2 are lined up you shouldnt have a problem. Once the cam gears are lined to TDC...and the crank is TDC...then put the beltback on and you are good to go. It will be kinda a bitch to do. It took a few times with mine but I havent bent a valve yet Oh yea after you have the belt on and the tensioner tight I would manually turn the crank about 6 or 7 times to make sure the belt is secure and everything stays in place. If so then fire her up. I hope this helped. If no I will try to explain the best that i can.

Andrew
Old 07-09-2003, 06:57 PM

Default Re: help w/ timing belt and white mark on crank pulley (dreweg)

you dont understand, the tdc on the oil gear is at tdc with cam gears!!
meaning belt is on.... and all is good! this is where i'm at...all is at tdc....now i put on the crank pulley (note: crank pulley does not touch the timing belt at all, b/c it drives accessory belts not timing belt.)

BUT when i put on crank pulley the white tdc does not line up with marker on timing cover.

my question is how can this be? help anyone??