Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Assistance needed: Identifying valvetrain components

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Assistance needed: Identifying valvetrain components

Hello,

I've acquired a bunch of parts recently and while most have matched up to what I was told they were. I am curious about the head. I was told it was an ITR head/Cams with Crower springs/retainers. The Cams turned out to be from a GSR. But, there has definitely has been some work done to the head.

What I know so far: PR3 cast, Year 2000, no green paint by distributor, port in valve chamber, dual springs

Questions; The valve springs look more like Supertechs to me?, The valves look like ITR? maybe aftermarket? ITR head that had the seats replaced with copper? or ported B16 head to fit the seats? (purpose?)

The pics/valves are of the intake side only. Are there any other ways I can identify, that I may be missing?

I hate to have to post this kind of thread, but, I know there are a lot of people on here that have dealt with this and can point out things rather quickly! Thanks.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:14 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Please help identify Head, valve springs etc....

I'll keep it at this thread here. It does not need to be posted in the other forums. Tech forums typically are viewed by those that go into different sections.

With that said, unless you can compare them with photos of other company's components that have clear identifying marks, it will be almost impossible to determine what they are without comparison on your end. However, you might get lucky. Doubtful, highly unlikely even... But possible.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Assistance needed: Identifying valvetrain components

Yeah, I figured it was a crapshoot on the valvetrain, being that I couldn't find any identifying marks. I would appreciate any help on the head though, from those who have had an ITR head in hand or one that the valve seats have been replaced on. If it looks like the ITR polish of the valve throat or not. Really, If it looks ok to use without any further work? I know this is difficult to tell over the internet, but, my next step will be to ship it off somewhere, as there are no decent local machine shops.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:26 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Head is too dirty to see if the valve chamber has been manipulated as per Type R standards. Best bet is if you send it to a reliable machine shop, they'll do that "bowl work" for you anyway. Only the machine shop will be able to know for sure if the head is perfect.

But as an added measure, check those service marks at the end of the heads, and measure to see if it's been milled more than .030". If so, this head is no good.

Good luck to you.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

10-4. Thanks for the info!