Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

smog sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smog sensor

quick question for 5g smog sensors. i had to go do my smog check today and the emission levels passed. I have my check engine light on lately and to surprise surprise, it was because the smog sensor was faulty in that it had "slow detection". I could turn of the check engine light temporarily by disconnection and reconnecting my batteries. My questions is, will doing this to turn off the check engine light enable my car to pass the smog check when i take it back for re-inspection? Since the machine is getting the faulty sensor notice through my car's computer, im thinking it should work if i reset it. can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 02-23-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Re: smog sensor (cactusman)

Why you going back if you passed smog the first time. Also, it's not a smog sensor, it's called oxygen sensor or O2 sensor. You have two of them, one before the catalytic converter and one after. It's most likely the one after. You can pick one up from ebay about $30-$40 bucks. Make sure you get the one with the plug so you don't have to reconnect the wires unless you know the color code, there's 4 wires because it is a heated O2 sensor. Good Luck.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Re: smog sensor (LudaChris)

I think a 5th gen should be obd2 certified.So you cannot go and unhook the battery to clear the check engine light.Maybe if it is an evap code that will work.The obd2 system is too smart for that.It runs what are called monitors,like your cat, 02 sensor ,evap system etc.A certain amount of these 3-6 have to be run,which usually takes about 60 miles of highway and road driving.Like i said if it is a simple code like evap it will not come back probably.But if you just try to go back after disconnecting the battery.It will automatically fail your car on the obd2 interface for incomplete monitors.I would suggest driving the car for 100 miles if it desnt go back on bring it back for a smog.