Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Engine is running very lean and hesitating?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine is running very lean and hesitating?

Something weird happened to my engine that even honda dealer can't find a problem. My engine suddently started hesitating out of the blue. It's noticable as I'm just driving steady in fifth I can feel it loose power and hesitate, very noticable when I accelerate. Something else I noticed is that once I start moving every time I hit the gas pedal the voltage drops to battery level, I let of the gas pedal and jumps back up. Very noticable once it warms up. I had to disconnect the ELD sensor to prevent the voltage from fluctuating but the hesitation is still there.

Looking at the spark plugs all 4 indicate the engine runing very lean. At night I can I see my stock header without the sheild gowing red. I've changed injectors, distributor, wires, plugs, fuel filter, tps, oxygen sensors, alternator and the problem is still there. The fuel pressure was tested and was at 40 psi while the car was idling. But then I again I don't get any of these problems when I just rev the engine only when the car starts moving. And voltage only fluctuates once the car starts moving, some weird *** problem here.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on?
I have a 4th gen VTEC.

[Modified by vtecprelude, 11:35 PM 3/21/2003]
Old 03-21-2003, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Engine is running very lean and hesitating? (vtecprelude)

Our cars suck. Mine still doign it also.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Engine is running very lean and hesitating? (4bidden)

What kind of gas are you running? you might wanna check your fuel injectors, clogs of the fuel injector rarely happen but you might wanna check. I dunno about the battery thing (alternator)???
Old 03-21-2003, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Engine is running very lean and hesitating? (phildeez)

I always use premium octane. I already swapped different injectors and the problem is still there. Alternator was also replaced. I don't think it's an alternator because when I disconnect the ELD sensor the voltage stays at 14v. Something else must be influencing it to cut on power.

Also while the car is moving and I let of the gas, lets say at 2k rpm (it doesn't really matter at what rpm) the voltage jumps up to where it should be. Then if I just let the rpm drop to 1.5k the voltage drops to battery level. Doesn't computer turn the injectors off when the car moving while the throttle is pressed and then constantly keeps them on when rpm reaches 1.5k and below?

So this in the way leads me to believe the injector's electrical system might be tight up in some way to the voltage fluctuation.

[Modified by vtecprelude, 6:20 AM 3/22/2003]