Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Bad ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad ignition switch?

I have a 1994 Honda prelude Si H23A1 and it has been having ignition and electrical issues for months now. At first I noticed my gauges speedo, tach, fuel gauge, etc would shut off for a moment while driving then come right back on, with no apparent effect to the engine. Then whenever I would go to start the car turning the key to the on position when normally the bulb check occurs, nothing would happen my radio would turn on but gauges would stay dark, however the car would usually still start then gauges would come on. It has since gotten worse, now when I try to start the car it fires but then immediately shuts off when the key recoils back from start. They only way to keep the car running is to tape the key into the start position where the starter motor is engaged I had to do this to get the car home last night, luckily its a standard so the starter motor only engages when I have the clutch pushed in. I am pretty confident this is an ignition switch issue and I can replace it next week when I get paid, but I really need to drive the car. How bad is it to drive the car when the starter motor engages every time I push the clutch? Will it hurt anything other than the starter? I know there was a recall for this but it does not seem to be for the 1994 model.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad ignition switch?

Originally Posted by Rotting Prelude
I have a 1994 Honda prelude Si H23A1 and it has been having ignition and electrical issues for months now. At first I noticed my gauges speedo, tach, fuel gauge, etc would shut off for a moment while driving then come right back on, with no apparent effect to the engine. Then whenever I would go to start the car turning the key to the on position when normally the bulb check occurs, nothing would happen my radio would turn on but gauges would stay dark, however the car would usually still start then gauges would come on. It has since gotten worse, now when I try to start the car it fires but then immediately shuts off when the key recoils back from start. They only way to keep the car running is to tape the key into the start position where the starter motor is engaged I had to do this to get the car home last night, luckily its a standard so the starter motor only engages when I have the clutch pushed in. I am pretty confident this is an ignition switch issue and I can replace it next week when I get paid, but I really need to drive the car. How bad is it to drive the car when the starter motor engages every time I push the clutch? Will it hurt anything other than the starter? I know there was a recall for this but it does not seem to be for the 1994 model.
Check the wiring easiest thing you can do and it's free, just trace the ignition wiring from the column to the fuse and battery. Check the cluster wiring wiggle it with vehicle running, does the cluster cut in and out when doing it? It sounds to me like it should be easily fixable just wiring issue or potentially an IGN switch.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Bad ignition switch?

This is likely going to be the ignition switch if you have to play with the key to keep it running. I would swap out the lock cylinder too if it's worn.