Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Ignition or starter: Click, click, then starts right up

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:10 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition or starter: Click, click, then starts right up

My wife has a 98 Accord 4-cyl 5-spd. It had the ignition switch recall a few years ago.

Lately, she said she'd turn the key and the first few times nothing would happen, and then it'd start right up. It usually only happens when the car is cold. The key also feels a little notchy sometimes, which made me think it was the ignition switch. However, last time the switch went out it'd start fine but stall while driving. No problems with that this time- once it's running, it's fine.

This morning, it was doing it again so I went out to see for myself. The solenoid was clicking when I'd turn the key, but the starter wouldn't activate. Then, after 6 or 7 twists it starts up nice and strong as though nothing was ever wrong.

The solenoid with no start is a classic failed starter, but the eventual strong, normal start and notchy key feel makes me think it may be the ignition switch.

Is this ever a symptom of a failed ignition switch (seems like the solenoid shouldn't even click if that were the problem)?
Old 09-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ignition or starter: Click, click, then starts right up

Likely a starter problem.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well once the starter turns it's gonna be strong unless the engine lacks spark. I'd swap the starter and test. Only way is process of Elimination. You can probably test the starter for continuity
Old 09-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carve
My wife has a 98 Accord 4-cyl 5-spd. It had the ignition switch recall a few years ago.

Lately, she said she'd turn the key and the first few times nothing would happen, and then it'd start right up. It usually only happens when the car is cold. The key also feels a little notchy sometimes, which made me think it was the ignition switch. However, last time the switch went out it'd start fine but stall while driving. No problems with that this time- once it's running, it's fine.

This morning, it was doing it again so I went out to see for myself. The solenoid was clicking when I'd turn the key, but the starter wouldn't activate. Then, after 6 or 7 twists it starts up nice and strong as though nothing was ever wrong.

The solenoid with no start is a classic failed starter, but the eventual strong, normal start and notchy key feel makes me think it may be the ignition switch.

Is this ever a symptom of a failed ignition switch (seems like the solenoid shouldn't even click if that were the problem)?
The solenoid is the actual culprit here, but since Honda doesn't see fit to make it separately serviceable; you'll be required to replace the whole starter.
The solenoid is the heavy duty relay in this circuit, and if you can hear it engaging (with no related response from the starter); it's toast.

P
Old 09-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

replace starter.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:13 PM

might be worn batt cables or dirty causing a bad connection.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:35 PM

Sounds like a relay problem. Check the main relay and the starter relay..but its definitely an electrical issue.