Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

headgasket..leakin...barely..do I buy the Leaking HG?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default headgasket..leakin...barely..do I buy the Leaking HG?

so...just picked up a car for a buddy of mine. 98 ex 2 door stock y8..no mods...
got it off a guy that lives down the block from me. 160k and he says that during the last service they told him that the headgasket was leaking...and the bill to fix was going to be over a 1k...so, he went and bought a new car....and I got another project.

The leak isnt horrible. its like at the point its still driveable,you just need to add coolant.

I went to purchase a HG tonight..was looking at felpro...because I like them...however I see theres 2 choices...the regular HG and the HG made for leaks.

Now, do I get the HG for leaks? or the regular? like I said, the car leaks, but its not like pouring out and overheats in 5 minutes....It runs for a while -- like weeks...before it gets down far enough to get to that point.

So...do i need a regular or for leaks..headgasket?

It says, if your replacing a HG that was leaking.you need the leaking HG, however, who really changes their HG unless its leaking? I mean shouldn't they just sell leaking HG's if thats the case? Unless as apart of block rebuilding kits?

Also, any advice is appreciated/ brands? I like felpro...but tell me what I should get.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: headgasket..leakin...barely..do I buy the Leaking HG?

Do you know if the car ever overheated?

As for HG for leaks, I am wondering if it is a little thicker to compensate for warpage maybe?

I would call felpro and ask them.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

previous owner said never overheated..Ill find out when I pull the head off tho.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

answered my own question....

but Ill post for everyone...
its more for older civics...it had a honda bulletin, to use these gaskets that are slightly thicker to accommodate any imperfections with the block...

Ill get the leaky one...and a new set of head bolts...
Actually Im goin to get all the gaskets and change em while Im there..and a Timing belt. Might as well just do it 1x
Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
answered my own question....

but Ill post for everyone...
its more for older civics...it had a honda bulletin, to use these gaskets that are slightly thicker to accommodate any imperfections with the block...

Ill get the leaky one...and a new set of head bolts...
Actually Im goin to get all the gaskets and change em while Im there..and a Timing belt. Might as well just do it 1x
Take the head off get a straight edge and a feeler gauge measure for warpage. Measure straight across and diagonally. If its warped and your going through all that work anyway just take the head to the machine shop to get milled. Its not as expensive as you may think. If you really don't want to do that just get a stock head gasket and permatex copper spray and coat both sides of the the HG with the spray. It will fill any spots that may have warpage. Don't band aid it, fix it.

But I have never heard of a "leaky" head gasket before.