Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ahh Leaking coolant car running rough please help diagnose....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ahh Leaking coolant car running rough please help diagnose....

Ok I just removed my IM to get to the oil nipple on the back of the block, I had to use inst-gasket to make a new IM gasket, so I did all that, and put it all back together. I also removed the entire exhuast and re-gasketed it with OEM gaskets. So I start the car back up and its idle is boucning all over the place. When I took the IM off coolant spilled out, but I replenished it all after the IM was back on. So all this coolant is burning off the back of the block now and for some reason coolant is leaking from somewhere off the back of the block (im?) and leaking onto the exuast pipe, you can hear it sizzle when the car is off after reaching operating temp.

Also, the exhuast smells real gassy, like its runnin super-rich or something. When I was running it it would bog down and even konk out when it was in ger under like 2k but after 2k it felt pretty strong, just seems like the lower RPM range is messin with it. Any Ideas? I im thinkin maybe a leak in the IM where the coolant is cause that gets pretty hot right? Also could the stutter be caused byu a vacuum leak cause of insta-gasket? PLEASE HELP

BTW temp was safe the whole time, like it wasnt overheating or anything
Old 01-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ahh Leaking coolant car running rough please help diagnose.... (turbotime)

bump
Old 01-03-2004, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Ahh Leaking coolant car running rough please help diagnose.... (turbotime)

take your IM back off, get a new gasket and tighten the bolts down in a criss-cross pattern. your idle is bouncing because of a vacuum leak, trust me. oh, and make sure u clean the mating surfaces REAL good. and theres a coolant line that should run right under your manifold, check that for leaks.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:42 PM

and if u dont trust me, and wanna make sure, go get some carb cleaner and spray it where the IM mates with the head. if your idle sputters a little when u spray, its your IM

good luck,

rage