Notices

gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Lookin good
Thanks! Is it worth cutting the bump to expose the rest of the intercooler? Id rather not because I don't really like the look but I'll do anything for a little extra performamce haha.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I'd open it up a bit more.. Doesn't have to be a lot, but I'd open it up a bit more...
Old 03-23-2017, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dropped the Civic off at English racing on Tuesday. Portland has some pretty intense traffic in the afternoon and it survived that on the way up there which was a good sign haha. They told me Wednesday they would do a pre-dyno inspection on the car before it went on the rollers and this time I'm in no rush to get the car back so I can rest easy and let them take there time with it this time. Myles also mentioned the surfer being a impressive turbo so I'm excited for the results! I'll try and get some videos up when I get it back and hopefully hit the track asap.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So the numbers are 350 to wheels at 14psi on 92oct. Pretty disappointed. They told me they don't like to push cars on pump gas. I told them I was surprised at the numbers because it has a built motor, big intercooler and turbo. So pretty much gonna leave it how it is till I get bored with it or find a deal on a ramhorn or mini ram and.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gutted-dx
So the numbers are 350 to wheels at 14psi on 92oct. Pretty disappointed. They told me they don't like to push cars on pump gas. I told them I was surprised at the numbers because it has a built motor, big intercooler and turbo. So pretty much gonna leave it how it is till I get bored with it or find a deal on a ramhorn or mini ram and.
Man they must of been very conservative with your tune. Seems like you should have been able to easily make more power then that on pump gas, but at least it will be nice and safe. 350whp is still a lot of power in a light little civic. Got a pic of the dyno sheet? I don't think you need start upgrading parts yet as you aren't anywhere near the power potential of your current setup. Do you plan on a race gas tune too? Or better yet run e85 or methanol injection.

I still remember getting one of my first setups tuned there, it was a fully built sleeved 84mm gsr with 35r and a mini ram manifold and it only made 360whp lol. They told me the same thing that they don't like to push cars on pump gas. I beat the crap out of that car daily and it ran strong until I sold it. This was almost 10 years ago btw.

I'd say just enjoy the car for now man.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man they must of been very conservative with your tune. Seems like you should have been able to easily make more power then that on pump gas, but at least it will be nice and safe. 350whp is still a lot of power in a light little civic. Got a pic of the dyno sheet? I don't think you need start upgrading parts yet as you aren't anywhere near the power potential of your current setup. Do you plan on a race gas tune too? Or better yet run e85 or methanol injection.

I still remember getting one of my first setups tuned there, it was a fully built sleeved 84mm gsr with 35r and a mini ram manifold and it only made 360whp lol. They told me the same thing that they don't like to push cars on pump gas. I beat the crap out of that car daily and it ran strong until I sold it. This was almost 10 years ago btw.

I'd say just enjoy the car for now man.

Thanks man it was just a let down. That does make me feel better though. I was gonna do race gas but thought about only making 400 and to me it wasn't worth it. They mentioned not having anything to read knock and that's why they made it conservative.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:41 PM

Thanks man it was just a let down. That does make me feel better though. I was gonna do race gas but thought about only making 400 and to me it wasn't worth it. They mentioned not having anything to read knock and that's why they made it conservative.
My tuner hasn't used a knock sensor in years, and I'm at over 530whp on c16 at about 26psi.

If you buy anything, get a good aftermarket knock sensor, some good c16 and go back. You're fine with the exhaust manifold
Old 03-25-2017, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
My tuner hasn't used a knock sensor in years, and I'm at over 530whp on c16 at about 26psi.

If you buy anything, get a good aftermarket knock sensor, some good c16 and go back. You're fine with the exhaust manifold
Whats a good aftermarket knock sensor for s300? I don't wanna do race gas and still be in the 400s.

Car runs pretty good but I definitely see myself getting bored with it haha.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:18 PM

J&S comes to mind when it comes to knock sensors.. It's not ECU or Hardware dependent.

I'm at over 380-400whp on a TR3030R (A GT30R version of what you have) on 93 Octane. But again, my tuner is really good on road-race & rally engines.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think you need start upgrading parts yet as you aren't anywhere near the power potential of your current setup.
x2 it doesn't need any more parts, what it needs is more boost pressure. My last tune I made 407HP on 92 octane @17psi (similar size turbo and setup) tuner never used a knock sensor just checked plugs and he was more then confident enough to call it completely safe, need to take it back for a retune pretty soon here for some changes I made

like boosted suggested just enjoy it, or if you really want more power sounds like you need to take it somewhere that is willing to tune it at higher boost pressures to reach your goal
Old 03-27-2017, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First tune is the new tune and the second is the old one. Can anyone point out any changes that were made? I realize pump gas is a limiting factor. Any input would be great.

Last edited by gutted-dx; 03-28-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Wait, English racing did this? That "Tune" looks like someone did it with an etch a sketch. The boost table doesn't even go above 12 lbs so how could they have tuned it to 14? There's like no timing in there AT ALL. Nothing to read knock? That's what reading plugs and having a basic understanding of the engine platform your tuning with are for.

I have a hard time believing that is the finished file. You should be easily over 400 on your setup, safely, all damn day

Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This tuning looks like crap. Not really good.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Wait, English racing did this? That "Tune" looks like someone did it with an etch a sketch. The boost table doesn't even go above 12 lbs so how could they have tuned it to 14? There's like no timing in there AT ALL. Nothing to read knock? That's what reading plugs and having a basic understanding of the engine platform your tuning with are for.

I have a hard time believing that is the finished file. You should be easily over 400 on your setup, safely, all damn day

X2!! Both tunes are basically identical and he was charged for a retune. This is not a proper tune, it looks like a little kid just started pushing buttons lol.

He just doesn't have "show 3 bar settings" selected in the options on these screen shots.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He just doesn't have "show 3 bar settings" selected in the options on these screen shots.
Gotcha, <- Hondata noob. Although I may be forced to finally switch from eCtune this year if I cant get in touch with Calvin
Old 03-28-2017, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Gotcha, <- Hondata noob. Although I may be forced to finally switch from eCtune this year if I cant get in touch with Calvin
Dont for get Neptune rtp :-P

As for this tune, I understand starting conservative on timing with pump gas, but those timing number are extremely lower. I'm kinda surprised it made even 350whp after looking at those maps. There is a ton of power left on the table.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, this was ENGLISH RACING!!! I paided $100 for a pre-dyno inspection and $250 for a retune. I also had to explain how boost by gear worked to Myles because the first time I got the car back 1st and 2nd hit boost cut. I told him the table was left at zero and he assured me that's not how it worked. When I went to pick it back up he said "you were right about the boost control" (I've obviously never tuned a car in my life and figured that out). So I guess you have to spend $$$$$$ there for there VIP tuning seevices. I definitely won't be going back there. Now I have to go to another tuner and fork out at least another $600 for another dyno tune. Maybe he'll chime in next time he plugs in a product he's trying to sell in the forced induction forum.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:30 PM

Yes, this was ENGLISH RACING!!! I paided $100 for a pre-dyno inspection and $250 for a retune. I also had to explain how boost by gear worked to Myles because the first time I got the car back 1st and 2nd hit boost cut. I told him the table was left at zero and he assured me that's not how it worked. When I went to pick it back up he said "you were right about the boost control" (I've obviously never tuned a car in my life and figured that out). So I guess you have to spend $$$$$$ there for there VIP tuning seevices. I definitely won't be going back there. Now I have to go to another tuner and fork out at least another $600 for another dyno tune. Maybe he'll chime in next time he plugs in a product he's trying to sell in the forced induction forum.
He's a busy man. Don't expect him to do any "chiming" of any kind on your matter.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
He's a busy man. Don't expect him to do any "chiming" of any kind on your matter.
Sarcasm? .
Old 03-28-2017, 06:10 PM

Sarcasm? .

What I mean to say is that Myles is not one to comment or "chime" in on tunes or customer affairs when it comes to Honda-Tech and English Racing. He knows its a bad idea to do so, due to a conflict of interest, and keeping business separate from his appearance on forums.. His own car, sure, he'll go all day on, but not under the business. He works for them, but he let's the other staff do their thing and doesn't get involved.

I'm never sarcastic when it comes to turbocharging retrofit applications. (So,....no.)
Old 03-28-2017, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The sarcasm was on my part and yes I know about the whole conflict of interest between the forum and business.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:18 AM

The sarcasm was on my part and yes I know about the whole conflict of interest between the forum and business.
I'm old. One word sentence references elude me.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

That sucks, it is getting harder and harder to find good tuners.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Before you start a forum rant about English racing and invite all that drama, I would suggest getting in touch with tuner/owner and show him that bin file. I would think any competent person could recognize at a glance something is up or its not tuned right. The problem is they are going to hear from you that some people on the internet told you the tune was wrong and disregard your concern more so. I would definitely keep it between you an them for now.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:54 PM

Before you start a forum rant about English racing and invite all that drama, I would suggest getting in touch with tuner/owner and show him that bin file. I would think any competent person could recognize at a glance something is up or its not tuned right. The problem is they are going to hear from you that some people on the internet told you the tune was wrong and disregard your concern more so. I would definitely keep it between you an them for now.
I would concur. Talk to them, then, if needed go somewhere else. But I'd keep that off of the forums

Last edited by TheShodan; 03-29-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.