gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread. - Page 13 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion


Forced Induction

gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #301
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OH/OR
Posts: 3,407
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted94gsr View Post
Lookin good
Thanks! Is it worth cutting the bump to expose the rest of the intercooler? Id rather not because I don't really like the look but I'll do anything for a little extra performamce haha.
gutted-dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #302
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 21,007
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

I'd open it up a bit more.. Doesn't have to be a lot, but I'd open it up a bit more...
TheShodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #303
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OH/OR
Posts: 3,407
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Dropped the Civic off at English racing on Tuesday. Portland has some pretty intense traffic in the afternoon and it survived that on the way up there which was a good sign haha. They told me Wednesday they would do a pre-dyno inspection on the car before it went on the rollers and this time I'm in no rush to get the car back so I can rest easy and let them take there time with it this time. Myles also mentioned the surfer being a impressive turbo so I'm excited for the results! I'll try and get some videos up when I get it back and hopefully hit the track asap.
gutted-dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #304
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OH/OR
Posts: 3,407
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

So the numbers are 350 to wheels at 14psi on 92oct. Pretty disappointed. They told me they don't like to push cars on pump gas. I told them I was surprised at the numbers because it has a built motor, big intercooler and turbo. So pretty much gonna leave it how it is till I get bored with it or find a deal on a ramhorn or mini ram and.
gutted-dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #305
Honda-Tech Member
 
boosted94gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,553
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted-dx View Post
So the numbers are 350 to wheels at 14psi on 92oct. Pretty disappointed. They told me they don't like to push cars on pump gas. I told them I was surprised at the numbers because it has a built motor, big intercooler and turbo. So pretty much gonna leave it how it is till I get bored with it or find a deal on a ramhorn or mini ram and.
Man they must of been very conservative with your tune. Seems like you should have been able to easily make more power then that on pump gas, but at least it will be nice and safe. 350whp is still a lot of power in a light little civic. Got a pic of the dyno sheet? I don't think you need start upgrading parts yet as you aren't anywhere near the power potential of your current setup. Do you plan on a race gas tune too? Or better yet run e85 or methanol injection.

I still remember getting one of my first setups tuned there, it was a fully built sleeved 84mm gsr with 35r and a mini ram manifold and it only made 360whp lol. They told me the same thing that they don't like to push cars on pump gas. I beat the crap out of that car daily and it ran strong until I sold it. This was almost 10 years ago btw.

I'd say just enjoy the car for now man.
boosted94gsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:10 PM   #306
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OH/OR
Posts: 3,407
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted94gsr View Post
Man they must of been very conservative with your tune. Seems like you should have been able to easily make more power then that on pump gas, but at least it will be nice and safe. 350whp is still a lot of power in a light little civic. Got a pic of the dyno sheet? I don't think you need start upgrading parts yet as you aren't anywhere near the power potential of your current setup. Do you plan on a race gas tune too? Or better yet run e85 or methanol injection.

I still remember getting one of my first setups tuned there, it was a fully built sleeved 84mm gsr with 35r and a mini ram manifold and it only made 360whp lol. They told me the same thing that they don't like to push cars on pump gas. I beat the crap out of that car daily and it ran strong until I sold it. This was almost 10 years ago btw.

I'd say just enjoy the car for now man.

Thanks man it was just a let down. That does make me feel better though. I was gonna do race gas but thought about only making 400 and to me it wasn't worth it. They mentioned not having anything to read knock and that's why they made it conservative.
gutted-dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #307
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 21,007
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted-dx View Post
Thanks man it was just a let down. That does make me feel better though. I was gonna do race gas but thought about only making 400 and to me it wasn't worth it. They mentioned not having anything to read knock and that's why they made it conservative.
My tuner hasn't used a knock sensor in years, and I'm at over 530whp on c16 at about 26psi.

If you buy anything, get a good aftermarket knock sensor, some good c16 and go back. You're fine with the exhaust manifold
TheShodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #308
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OH/OR
Posts: 3,407
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShodan View Post
My tuner hasn't used a knock sensor in years, and I'm at over 530whp on c16 at about 26psi.

If you buy anything, get a good aftermarket knock sensor, some good c16 and go back. You're fine with the exhaust manifold
Whats a good aftermarket knock sensor for s300? I don't wanna do race gas and still be in the 400s.

Car runs pretty good but I definitely see myself getting bored with it haha.
gutted-dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #309
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 21,007
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

J&S comes to mind when it comes to knock sensors.. It's not ECU or Hardware dependent.

I'm at over 380-400whp on a TR3030R (A GT30R version of what you have) on 93 Octane. But again, my tuner is really good on road-race & rally engines.
TheShodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #310
Honda-Tech Member
 
2kdrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida, usa
Posts: 1,667
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted94gsr View Post
I don't think you need start upgrading parts yet as you aren't anywhere near the power potential of your current setup.
x2 it doesn't need any more parts, what it needs is more boost pressure. My last tune I made 407HP on 92 octane @17psi (similar size turbo and setup) tuner never used a knock sensor just checked plugs and he was more then confident enough to call it completely safe, need to take it back for a retune pretty soon here for some changes I made

like boosted suggested just enjoy it, or if you really want more power sounds like you need to take it somewhere that is willing to tune it at higher boost pressures to reach your goal
2kdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #311
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OH/OR
Posts: 3,407
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

First tune is the new tune and the second is the old one. Can anyone point out any changes that were made? I realize pump gas is a limiting factor. Any input would be great.

Last edited by gutted-dx; 03-28-2017 at 04:48 AM.
gutted-dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:39 AM   #312
Honda-Tech Member
 
LightningTeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,834
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Wait, English racing did this? That "Tune" looks like someone did it with an etch a sketch. The boost table doesn't even go above 12 lbs so how could they have tuned it to 14? There's like no timing in there AT ALL. Nothing to read knock? That's what reading plugs and having a basic understanding of the engine platform your tuning with are for.

I have a hard time believing that is the finished file. You should be easily over 400 on your setup, safely, all damn day

LightningTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #313
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
1HGEJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 434
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

This tuning looks like crap. Not really good.
1HGEJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #314
Honda-Tech Member
 
boosted94gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,553
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post
Wait, English racing did this? That "Tune" looks like someone did it with an etch a sketch. The boost table doesn't even go above 12 lbs so how could they have tuned it to 14? There's like no timing in there AT ALL. Nothing to read knock? That's what reading plugs and having a basic understanding of the engine platform your tuning with are for.

I have a hard time believing that is the finished file. You should be easily over 400 on your setup, safely, all damn day

X2!! Both tunes are basically identical and he was charged for a retune. This is not a proper tune, it looks like a little kid just started pushing buttons lol.

He just doesn't have "show 3 bar settings" selected in the options on these screen shots.
boosted94gsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #315
Honda-Tech Member
 
LightningTeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,834
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted94gsr View Post
He just doesn't have "show 3 bar settings" selected in the options on these screen shots.
Gotcha, <- Hondata noob. Although I may be forced to finally switch from eCtune this year if I cant get in touch with Calvin
LightningTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #316
Honda-Tech Member
 
boosted94gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,553
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post
Gotcha, <- Hondata noob. Although I may be forced to finally switch from eCtune this year if I cant get in touch with Calvin
Dont for get Neptune rtp :-P

As for this tune, I understand starting conservative on timing with pump gas, but those timing number are extremely lower. I'm kinda surprised it made even 350whp after looking at those maps. There is a ton of power left on the table.
boosted94gsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #317
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OH/OR
Posts: 3,407
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post
Wait, English racing did this? That "Tune" looks like someone did it with an etch a sketch. The boost table doesn't even go above 12 lbs so how could they have tuned it to 14? There's like no timing in there AT ALL. Nothing to read knock? That's what reading plugs and having a basic understanding of the engine platform your tuning with are for.

I have a hard time believing that is the finished file. You should be easily over 400 on your setup, safely, all damn day


Yes, this was ENGLISH RACING!!! I paided $100 for a pre-dyno inspection and $250 for a retune. I also had to explain how boost by gear worked to Myles because the first time I got the car back 1st and 2nd hit boost cut. I told him the table was left at zero and he assured me that's not how it worked. When I went to pick it back up he said "you were right about the boost control" (I've obviously never tuned a car in my life and figured that out). So I guess you have to spend $$$$$$ there for there VIP tuning seevices. I definitely won't be going back there. Now I have to go to another tuner and fork out at least another $600 for another dyno tune. Maybe he'll chime in next time he plugs in a product he's trying to sell in the forced induction forum.
gutted-dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #318
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 21,007
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted-dx View Post
Yes, this was ENGLISH RACING!!! I paided $100 for a pre-dyno inspection and $250 for a retune. I also had to explain how boost by gear worked to Myles because the first time I got the car back 1st and 2nd hit boost cut. I told him the table was left at zero and he assured me that's not how it worked. When I went to pick it back up he said "you were right about the boost control" (I've obviously never tuned a car in my life and figured that out). So I guess you have to spend $$$$$$ there for there VIP tuning seevices. I definitely won't be going back there. Now I have to go to another tuner and fork out at least another $600 for another dyno tune. Maybe he'll chime in next time he plugs in a product he's trying to sell in the forced induction forum.
He's a busy man. Don't expect him to do any "chiming" of any kind on your matter.
TheShodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #319
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OH/OR
Posts: 3,407
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShodan View Post
He's a busy man. Don't expect him to do any "chiming" of any kind on your matter.
Sarcasm? .
gutted-dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:10 PM   #320
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 21,007
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted-dx View Post
Sarcasm? .

What I mean to say is that Myles is not one to comment or "chime" in on tunes or customer affairs when it comes to Honda-Tech and English Racing. He knows its a bad idea to do so, due to a conflict of interest, and keeping business separate from his appearance on forums.. His own car, sure, he'll go all day on, but not under the business. He works for them, but he let's the other staff do their thing and doesn't get involved.

I'm never sarcastic when it comes to turbocharging retrofit applications. (So,....no.)
TheShodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #321
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OH/OR
Posts: 3,407
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

The sarcasm was on my part and yes I know about the whole conflict of interest between the forum and business.
gutted-dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:18 AM   #322
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 21,007
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted-dx View Post
The sarcasm was on my part and yes I know about the whole conflict of interest between the forum and business.
I'm old. One word sentence references elude me.
TheShodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:45 AM   #323
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
AZ_CIVIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 971
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

That sucks, it is getting harder and harder to find good tuners.
AZ_CIVIC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:48 AM   #324
Honda-Tech Member
 
LightningTeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,834
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Before you start a forum rant about English racing and invite all that drama, I would suggest getting in touch with tuner/owner and show him that bin file. I would think any competent person could recognize at a glance something is up or its not tuned right. The problem is they are going to hear from you that some people on the internet told you the tune was wrong and disregard your concern more so. I would definitely keep it between you an them for now.
LightningTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #325
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 21,007
Default re: gutted-dx's Sleeved B16 STC Surfer Engine Build Progress Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post
Before you start a forum rant about English racing and invite all that drama, I would suggest getting in touch with tuner/owner and show him that bin file. I would think any competent person could recognize at a glance something is up or its not tuned right. The problem is they are going to hear from you that some people on the internet told you the tune was wrong and disregard your concern more so. I would definitely keep it between you an them for now.
I would concur. Talk to them, then, if needed go somewhere else. But I'd keep that off of the forums

Last edited by TheShodan; 03-29-2017 at 02:20 PM.
TheShodan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS/FT Moving Thread gutted-dx Northwest (Sales) 105 04-24-2016 08:51 AM
Chasebays CM1 Harness install in a EG. {Q's} gutted-dx Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) 65 11-30-2015 02:35 PM
FS: RSmachine, OEM, NEUSPEED---- gutted-dx For Sale 2 10-16-2015 06:36 PM
ITB for d-series gutted-dx All Motor / Naturally Aspirated 12 03-02-2005 01:05 AM
Harness gutted-dx Hybrid / Engine Swaps 4 01-18-2005 12:34 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:28 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: