Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

weird oil light blinkin

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird oil light blinkin

hi,
my oil light will come on "dim" right after i start my car...
and usually then will blink from dim to brighter dim.
i thought the oil pump was bad so i replaced it with a known good pump and pick up screen... no change still blinks.
engine performance seems fine, but (sometimes the car will die and takes a few times to get it started, cranks and pumps but doesnt turn over).
another thing i've noticed (related or not )is the battery light never comes on, but the bulb is good... ecu problems???
the car is a stock 91 integra rs.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: weird oil light blinkin (egzboy)

bump. i would also really appreciate an answer to this. i'm having basically the exact same issue. i'm not having trouble starting at all, and the idle is fine, but the oil light is going crazy.

i changed the oil. put in 4 quarts of 5W-30 and a new filter. light went away for about a day, and now it's back. i check oil level, it's fine. i'm assuming these warning lights are triggered by oil pressure. i took the cap off the valve cover while it was running, and i can see oil shooting up and about. i'm guessing the oil pump is working ok.

could it be a bad sensor?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: weird oil light blinkin (canIscream)

Some of the oil pressure warning system involves an expensive Integrated Control Unit. These ICU's start to have failures with the age of our cars. Mine had similar oil warnings, so I installed an oil pressure gauge, and the pressure is perfect. I wouldn't run the engine until you test the pressure to confirm that it is a false warning. The sending unit and the associated wiring could also give false warnings. Oil pressure is the life's blood of the engine, don't take it for granted.

My oil pressure gauge was only $24, easy to install, and allows me to see exactly what my pressure is. Would have been nice if they came stock in the car.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: weird oil light blinkin (Sam92Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam92Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some of the oil pressure warning system involves an expensive Integrated Control Unit. These ICU's start to have failures with the age of our cars. Mine had similar oil warnings, so I installed an oil pressure gauge, and the pressure is perfect. I wouldn't run the engine until you test the pressure to confirm that it is a false warning. The sending unit and the associated wiring could also give false warnings. Oil pressure is the life's blood of the engine, don't take it for granted.

My oil pressure gauge was only $24, easy to install, and allows me to see exactly what my pressure is. Would have been nice if they came stock in the car.</TD></TR></TABLE> good info. a buddy of mine works at a honda tuning shop and saw my post about this on a local forum. he advised the same thing.

know of a good write up on installing an oil pressure guage?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only time I had issues like that was A) When my filter was clogged....and ruined the engine soon after B) Bad ground(s)
Old 06-05-2007, 03:26 PM

oh i also replaced the sending unit, but i will check the grounds and wiring.
where do you plug in the guage?