Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

need help with lower front engine mount (removing AC belt)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with lower front engine mount (removing AC belt)

I have a 1995 integra, non-vtec auto w/240,000KM and still runs like new. I was changing my belts and the only way to remove the AC belt is to drop the front left lower engine mount (think it is called a torque mount). After you remove the left front wheel and the black plastic cover, it is easy to see this mount from under the car, looking up at it. The 2 bolts holding the mount were very rusted and they both made a snapping noise as I tried to remove them with a socket. Here is my problem... the bolts are loose now (turn freely) but they will not come out for some reason (the bolt heads are still intact so I guess they snapped somewhere else)? I cant notice any difference when I drive the car but I can hear a rattling noise over bumps since this mount is obviously loose. I want to fix this asap but not sure how to reomve the mount. Also, this mount has rubber supports inside (looks like webbing) and I can see that some are ripped (in bottom pic), should this be replaced or dont worry about it?

Since I couldnt remove the mount, I cut the belt to remove it since my AC does not work anyways, but my I was going to try to save the belt incase I fix the AC in the future.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Modified by keeprollingon at 1:09 PM 8/3/2008
Old 08-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with lower front engine mount (keeprollingon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keeprollingon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 1995 integra, non-vtec auto w/240,000KM and still runs like new. I was changing my belts and the only way to remove the AC belt is to drop the front left lower engine mount (think it is called a torque mount). After you remove the left front wheel and the black plastic cover, it is easy to see this mount from under the car, looking up at it. The 2 bolts holding the mount were very rusted and they both made a snapping noise as I tried to remove them with a socket. Here is my problem... the bolts are loose now (turn freely) but they will not come out for some reason (the bolt heads are still intact so I guess they snapped somewhere else)? I cant notice any difference when I drive the car but I can hear a rattling noise over bumps since this mount is obviously loose. I want to fix this asap but not sure how to reomve the mount. Also, this mount has rubber supports inside (looks like webbing) and I can see that some are ripped (in bottom pic), should this be replaced or dont worry about it?

Since I couldnt remove the mount, I cut the belt to remove it since my AC does not work anyways, but my I was going to try to save the belt incase I fix the AC in the future.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

you need to replace that torque mount. spray those bolts with wd40.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with lower front engine mount (keeprollingon)

Sounds like the nuts welded to the chassis may have broken loose?
Maybe a body shop can fix it.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: need help with lower front engine mount (sitinduk)

Cut the nuts off. Change your timing belt now. Have the mount welded back on. The nuts inside the frame rail are broken off.

You can try removing the 17mm nut and then the 14mm bolt that goes thru the rubber part. The 17mm nut comes off and reveals a stud with a 14mm bolt head...you'll see.

The rubber will flex so the bolt will come out. You can sneak the belt out.

You'll probably have to have it welded anyway because it will be loose afterwards since you allready loosened the 14mm bolts.

Or you can remove it (cut it off) and then put in some Hasport (or similar) mounts that do not require torque mounts. Your car will double as a vibrator, however. Even the softer hasport (or similar) mounts are too stiff for my liking.

Alternatively, you can maybe drill access holes in the frame rail and reweld those up when you're done (use a small holesaw). Drill the holes, cut off the mount, re-attach the mount using regular nuts and bolts. Reweld the frame as an optional endeavor.