Wheel and Tire

What is a good combo for the track?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good combo for the track?

Hey everybody, I am new here and want to build my 88 civic sedan for the track. I know it will take me a while to get it ready for a "true" road race. However in the mean time I want to participate in local VMSC and SCCA solo events. The class requires me to keep my stock motor and tranny, but I can build up my suspension and a good set of wheels and tires is a must. I was wondering what every out there is running, why you chose that setup, how is it working for you and what you thought would be a good wheel and tire combo for me. Brand? Size? Any information is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2005, 09:41 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What is a good combo for the track? (jdm_ef3)

How much prior track experience do you have?

If you don't have any, I would suggest you drive your car exactly as is in at least your first half dozen track events. When you're first learning, you won't be using anywhere near the capabilities of your car anyway, even if you've got crappy tires and an old, tired suspension. You'll learn just as much driving it that way, and you won't be any slower, because the weakest link in the car will be the nut behind the wheel (i.e. the driver).

Once you start building up experience, then you can start thinking about suspension mods (best to ask on the Civic forum or the RR/AX forum, rather than here) and wheels/tires. There are a lot of very good track tires out there today. Just like street tires, they vary from the expensive, super-sticky, fast-wearing (e.g. Hoosiers) to the not-so-expensive, sticky-but-not-quite-as-sticky, longer-lasting (e.g. Yokohama A032R), with lots of tires somewhere in between along that spectrum.

For track use, I'm using Toyo RA-1 tires in 205/50-15 size on stock wheels on my Integra Type R.