Wheel and Tire

deep dish rubbing problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:42 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 deep dish rubbing problem

i just bought some new 15' dr20s +10mm offset 205 50 15 for my dc4, but before i bought them i was running 16' rota circuit 8s 205 45 16 slammed on tokico hps with h&r springs, my original set up was fine, no rubbing at all. when i put the dr20s on i noticed my tires would rub everytime i turned, so i tried rolling my fenders which helped a little, but could any one recommend something to help solve my problem?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: deep dish rubbing problem

unfortunately you are gonna have issues with that low of offset, people pull it off with major modification, small tires and lots of camber. but thats purely looks not really functional
Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, you need to go down to a 195/50 tire at least, and a bit of negative camber. If the 195/50 doesn't work, you can try a 195/45 from Nexen. Either way, it might still rub since that offset is designed for RWD cars.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:01 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by Captain Key!s
Yeah, you need to go down to a 195/50 tire at least, and a bit of negative camber. If the 195/50 doesn't work, you can try a 195/45 from Nexen. Either way, it might still rub since that offset is designed for RWD cars.
Wow, this is really BAD ADVICE. The problem with your car is NOT the tire size; 205/50-15 is the same width and a slightly smaller outer diameter than the 205/45-16 you were using. So getting the wrong size tire isn't going to fix the problem. It's just going to mean that your car has two different things wrong with it.

The problem with your car is that the wheels are the wrong offset. Get wheels with the proper offset and you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Will you show me a picture of ur car with the dr20 wheels.. i bought the same wheels with 10 offset.. i havent put them on yet.. i got 195-50-15 and my car is not that lowered will u take some picture pls!! i wanna see what the car looks like.. thanks..
Old 10-22-2009, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

deff, post pics. and if rolling the fenders didnt solve the problem, a little camber is goign to be your best friend.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 PM
New User

oh my bad everyone, i said the wrong tire size, theyre 195 50 15, and i did try rolling the fenders via 2 inch pipe, thought it would work but no dice, only edged it high enough so sharp end wouldnt touch tire, still having the rubbing problem tho, i was thinking maybe its a height problem too? if i get coilovers of my tokicos and raise it a good half maybe 3/4 inch would that give me clearance? cuz i used the sharpie method to see what part was rubbing and i know for sure its the top half
Old 10-23-2009, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

195/50 is the ISSUE lol. Go for 195/45/15. No issues at all. Guaranteed. Get the fenders rolled with the fender rolling maching. Do it properly. You will need all the negative camber you can get.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:39 PM
H-T Order of Merit

195/50-15 is NOT the issue. And you don't need to get teeny tiny 195/45-15 tires. Sometimes the ignorance on this forum is shocking.

The problem is the offset on your wheels. Get wheels with the proper offset for your car, and you shouldn't need to use teeny tiny tires, just the normal Integra sizes.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:26 PM

You do have some great information, but you are biased on your opions, and posts.

I agree with what you say 100% of the time, but also it needs to be said that just because you like it, doesn't mean everyone does.

The OP is clearly going for form > function, and is looking for help with his CURRENT situation. In this case I agree that either a smaller sidewall is needed, or proper rolling of the fenders is in order. IF worst comes to worst, adjustable coilovers to slightly lift the rear end a little bit.

NSXtasy I have been stuck in this debate for years in the VW community, where wide wheels, stretched tires, extreme body modification, and poking wheels are the norm.

I do like the fact that you speak your mind, and give a very valid and 100% factual filled answer though, just sometimes it's biased is all.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bo0st_junkie
You do have some great information, but you are biased on your opions, and posts.

I agree with what you say 100% of the time, but also it needs to be said that just because you like it, doesn't mean everyone does.

The OP is clearly going for form > function, and is looking for help with his CURRENT situation. In this case I agree that either a smaller sidewall is needed, or proper rolling of the fenders is in order. IF worst comes to worst, adjustable coilovers to slightly lift the rear end a little bit.

NSXtasy I have been stuck in this debate for years in the VW community, where wide wheels, stretched tires, extreme body modification, and poking wheels are the norm.

I do like the fact that you speak your mind, and give a very valid and 100% factual filled answer though, just sometimes it's biased is all.
Not that I want to start a dispute (really, I don't), but we have a forum (several of them, actually) dedicated to those who value appearance over function, and this isn't one of those.

The "Appearance Build Threads" forums would probably be a good place to discuss setups that are intended for appearance over normal, proper, function.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/appearance-build-threads-122/

I think the best reason to keep these discussion separate is for those less knowledgeable people who do come in here. If you have no understanding of tire sizes, and how they affect the car, but still want to keep normal function intact (probably more people than those willing to trade function for appearance), conflicting advice can be very confusing. Those valuing appearance, would probably start off with in the appearance forums instead.

I'm currently running the wrong sized tires on my car (205/40-16 instead of 205/45-16 like I should), but I understood exactly what mounting those tires would do to my car before I did it, and was willing to accept the downsides of doing so. Not everyone does understand these downsides, and advice of "just run smaller tires" without listing the downsides doesn't help those seeking information.

Again, not trying to start a debate. I think we certainly can have both "anything to achieve a look" and "this is the only correct way to do it" people on here, we just need to keep the discussion separate based on intent.

Just my $0.02.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:07 PM

I agree 100%, I am just offering my advice to the OP based to his question. Not trying to cross inform people.

I am with you on the wrong tire size, I do it as well, I build my cars for what I like, but I also give the best advice I can when dealing with questions, try not to sway to much.

I run 245/45/18 on a 10.5" wheel, so what do I know
Old 10-26-2009, 06:52 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by bo0st_junkie
I don't think it's biased to point out the pluses and minuses of using one tire size over another. I also don't think it's biased to note that some setups are downright unsafe. It's useful information.

I can't always spend hours more than I already do, describing exactly why some setups are wrong, and why piling a second mistake on top of another one is likely to lead to yet additional problems. But the advantages of some setups over others are a matter of fact, not opinion.