S&W and me VS custom cage = huge lesson learned

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Make mine whatever you want

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (redboost10)

My first opinion was that 2200 was a little high but it ranges from shop to shop. Mine was finished at about $1800, seat mounted, TIG welded etc. By one of the most well known fabrication shops in the area. specifically for cages. As long as you're happy
Old 09-08-2008, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GT35R_EF)

who in portland did that cage?
Old 09-08-2008, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GT35R_EF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My first opinion was that 2200 was a little high but it ranges from shop to shop. Mine was finished at about $1800, seat mounted, TIG welded etc. </TD></TR></TABLE>
This isn't DOM and it could be tig welded by god but even tig isn't going to help when those bends in the front colapse. The car is gutted, why not just cut 2 nothes in the dash? It's even easier to do that then make those bends.

very nice seat you have
Old 09-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Banned

You got absolutely ripped off. AS previously posted the A-pillar bars will collapse and you will be a few inches shorter. Why the hell do these drag race monkeys keep putting those worthless harness mounts on the roll cage. When you hit the wall or anything else head on your body will rip that stupid little bolt right off the harness bar. There is a reason it is called a harness bar. Wrap the damn harness around it.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rota92)

you need to X that door and connect to the lower bend, to avoid cllapse of the A pillar and pass NHRA cert if you plan to do so....
Old 09-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hands down the funniest A bar I have seen to date, to top it off its ERW. Bravo!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some of you guys are nuts lol

OP, for doing things right/safe and trying to teach others not to do stuff on their own time/skill as others do it for a living. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-08-2008, 05:02 PM

Default Re: (turboteener)

lol <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dave@passenger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hands down the funniest A bar I have seen to date, to top it off its ERW. Bravo!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I agree. I wanted it to tightly follow the line on the dash and ended up with that. The lower bend WILL be connected/gusseted. lol you guys are brutal. And the tabs on the harness bar are simply an option. Obviously the harness can be wrapped around the bar otherwise. To add, I have personally seen a few horrible accidents at the track in which those mounts have never failed.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can we see a pic of top of the A-bar?

Conclusion, there is A LOT of thinking that goes into a properly designed cage. It's one thing I'm not rushing into. I'll make simple 6-points, but when it comes to full cages, I feel like I'm not ready.

Where are you guys picking up the engineering behind proper cages? Basically follow the rule books and go from there? Obviously, there is some logical thinking, and a good sense of physics probably helps.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:23 PM

Default Re: (Agtronic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Agtronic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can we see a pic of top of the A-bar?

Conclusion, there is A LOT of thinking that goes into a properly designed cage. It's one thing I'm not rushing into. I'll make simple 6-points, but when it comes to full cages, I feel like I'm not ready.

Where are you guys picking up the engineering behind proper cages? Basically follow the rule books and go from there? Obviously, there is some logical thinking, and a good sense of physics probably helps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, I'll take a picture of it next time i'm down at the shop. At the end of the day, that aspect of the cage was the only thing I was completely happy with. The shop who built the cage in this car has built some of the most complex full body cages I have ever seen in my life. They are very well known in the community and are very aware of what it takes to make a legal cage. Feel free to bash on me as you please, but understand that I DID NOT make the cage, and if possible, give me some input on what possibly could be added for structural integrity. Keep in mind this car will likely see deep 10's.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GT35R_EF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yea, I'll take a picture of it next time i'm down at the shop. At the end of the day, that aspect of the cage was the only thing I was completely happy with. The shop who built the cage in this car has built some of the most complex full body cages I have ever seen in my life. They are very well known in the community and are very aware of what it takes to make a legal cage. Feel free to bash on me as you please, but understand that I DID NOT make the cage, and if possible, give me some input on what possibly could be added for structural integrity. Keep in mind this car will likely see deep 10's. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you need to X that door and connect to the lower bend, to avoid cllapse of the A pillar and pass NHRA cert if you plan to do so....
Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (vtekthis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtekthis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Relax Darren, it's only a big deal if he wants to race the car and if he crashes the car.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony1)

THe D bars where done wrong werent they? Doesnt the lower bar have to be welded to the rocker sills, not the main loop bar?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Relax Darren, it's only a big deal if he wants to race the car and if he crashes the car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

dammint Tony i was starting to get angry!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$2200 is a good deal for that cage. The welds might not be 100% show quality but the fitment looks pretty good and that's the hard part. I charge a lot more than that for a 10pt with chute and net. Ours a bit nicer and are painted, but none the less, you didn't get ripped off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed.

I'm as handy as the next guy when it comes to fabrication... BUT, I've never done a cage, and there are LOT'S of professional shops that have. I had a 6 point cro-moly cage TIG'd into my 93, was $2000, and I'm tickled pink.

AND, the pro's know all the in's and out's of the rules, trick things to do, and ARE THERE TO SAVE YOUR ***!

I'm a decent fabricator... but I farmed out my cage, and it was a good decision. Done right, meets the rules, and trick.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FWIW, here is why you have a reputable chassis shop do your cage;

http://www.lotustalk.com/forum...1500/</TD></TR></TABLE>

holy ****
Old 09-14-2008, 01:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: S&W and me VS custom cage = huge lesson learned (SwappedTURBOegg)

your welds turned out to be bird **** huh?

turn down the wire speed and heat, try it again on some scrap. keep going with it you'll get better
Old 09-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (redboost10)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redboost10 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who in portland did that cage?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm guessing Racetech in Portland???

I've seen some great cages, and I've seen some so-so cages out of there....I would never bend the A pillars around the dash like that-
Old 09-14-2008, 02:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (essex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by essex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This isn't DOM and it could be tig welded by god but even tig isn't going to help when those bends in the front colapse. The car is gutted, why not just cut 2 nothes in the dash? It's even easier to do that then make those bends.

very nice seat you have </TD></TR></TABLE>

gtaw isn't necessarly stronger than any other process fyi.

its like me saying since all high rise struc steel is SMAW it is by far the best.

not true since it has many drawbacks, most expensive (since you waste alot of rod, slag and it is ugly)
Old 09-14-2008, 02:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

or just really good.

you might want to take a look at some of tydo's work first..

equals...

and this is just one car. so dont say **** about someone if you dont know what the hell you are talking about.

Modified by mike93eh2 at 4:19 PM 9/5/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

he was talking about roll-cages. a tube chassis car is not comprable to a offshelf weld in roll cage
Old 09-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (i drive a honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i drive a honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

gtaw isn't necessarly stronger than any other process fyi.

its like me saying since all high rise struc steel is SMAW it is by far the best.

not true since it has many drawbacks, most expensive (since you waste alot of rod, slag and it is ugly) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Everyone was bragging about having thier cages tigged and if it isn't tigged it's no good. My point was that if it isn't designed properly in the first place it won't matter if you tig it or however you weld it.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by essex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Everyone was bragging about having thier cages tigged and if it isn't tigged it's no good. My point was that if it isn't designed properly in the first place it won't matter if you tig it or however you weld it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not true, they want tig becuase it is pretty, not stronger.

notice the slag, you have to clean that all away with FCAW and SMAW

Old 09-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what are we talking about again? lol
Old 09-15-2008, 10:42 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by essex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what are we talking about again? lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha ok, next time someone tells you gas tungsten arc welds are stronger than everything sheilded metal arc welds, flux core arc welds, or gas metal arc welds , you can tell them different

actually they can be seen as weaker.

have a 1" v cut piece of mild steel, you know which process has the most penetration. so maybe in that sense.

ahh f it, no 1 process is better than the other for everything. there is always 1 process better for something.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude who and wtf are you talking about? So I don't get it, you are disagreeing and you think because that cage is Tigged that makes it ok to have some FUBAR bends in the front A bars?

If you don't disagree with me then don't quote me You didn't even read the whole topic just like page 3?

Quick Reply: S&W and me VS custom cage = huge lesson learned