Notices

noobieturbo manifold build

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noobieturbo manifold build

hi, i just started to build my turbo manifold a few weeks ago...

collector fabrication and fitting of the manifold is done and now i back purged everything and welded it.
please do you have any improvement ideas about my welds? seems too hot in my opinion :/
but when i bump down the amps, i didnt get a full penetration / root...

specs are:

70A
10l/min argon flow
1.6mm thungsten electrode (gray)
1.6mm filler material
backpurged with 5l/min flow of argon
everything with a bevel
gaslens size 10

bad...
vband flanges are always ok...
Old 08-29-2017, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: noobieturbo manifold build

70A sind ganz gut. Waren die enden der Rohre angeschliffen? Oder Rohr an rohr bündig angepunktet? Was ich sehe ist das du etwas zu schnell und etwas zu wenig Zusatz genommen hast. Du hast auch am ende des schweißens keine vernünftige Stromabsenkung. Das erklärt die Löcher nach dem schweißen. Achja du hättest es im hp posten können
Old 08-30-2017, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what machine are you using? i personally like 2% lanthanated 3/32" 2.4mm tungsten for almost everything i do. look into the furick fupa #12 cup. it looks like you may be moving to slow or not feeding enough filler material. get some scrap material to dial in your settings. i would go to a #12 cup, move more steady at shorter intervals and dab more frequently to tighten up your ripples. your ripples are spaced far apart which tells me your dabbing to far apart on your moves. the vband looks really good but can still tell your dabs are far between. when dialing in your settings try making 5 amp adjustments. i can also tell your not adding enough filler is by the craters your leaving at the end of beads. make sure you add a little extra filler at the end of your welds and tapper off slowly with your amperage. make sure you argon gas is clean, easiest way to tell is try to run some beads on some aluminum plate. i've gotten a bad bottle of argon, it welded like crap on aluminum and was crappy but somewhat ok on steel and stainless.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What he said^^ looks like you may have to much of a torch angle also. Just keep practicing. And you'll figure it all out. Vband flange looks good
Old 08-30-2017, 10:18 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Travel speed and bead consistency need to be worked on. Speed it up a bit. Bump up your gas flow as well.

Your v-bands are always ok because they are able to soak up a lot more heat than the manifold piping can.

The pinholes on the ends of the welds are from letting off the pedal too fast and not enough filler. One spot actually has a fresh dab and still has the crater, that's definitely from breaking the arc too quickly.
​​​​​​
Old 10-25-2017, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

welding looks nice to me.

Next time use larger dia pipes for better flow, response and less back pressure. I know the larger the pipe the more difficult to build but it worths the extra work.