Notices

Double sided carbon fiber overlay and Dzus details

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double sided carbon fiber overlay and Dzus details

I thought I would post up a new project I finished for a customer. Just a cosmetic overlay on aluminum parts but I thought it might interest a few. The vehicle this wing assembly belongs to is a very fast sand rail wuth a punched out and Turboed Hyabusa motor! Everything you see here has been overlaid. One thing to note about this project is that it is double sides and has a few interesting details.

Front of wing

Side

Here you can see where I had to make room for a Dzus fastener. I covered the Dzus spot with a round piece of tape and then started my overlay. I machined the space for the Dzus after I was finished. I also painted the spot black to make it look more clean.

Another side view prior to mounting the top wing

Here is a top side view of the upper deck wing. This piece was overlayed front and back.

Another Dzus

I also overlaid the underside of this part. I had to avoid the area at the two ends to make room for the bracket this wing sits on. I painted a black stripe to avoid having an ugly fiber ends. I just masked everything off so i didn't get resin on the ends.

Anyway there are a few other pieces I am working on like side panels and a new roof (not overlay). I'll post them up soon.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:38 AM

Wow that looks pretty cool.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Double sided carbon fiber overlay and Dzus details (crx12)

Looks very nice! Way to pay attention to details. Now you have to work on a full non overlayed carbon wing
Old 04-20-2006, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Double sided carbon fiber overlay and Dzus details (msmotorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by msmotorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks very nice! Way to pay attention to details. Now you have to work on a full non overlayed carbon wing </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, actually the amount of sanding and re-coating on these overlays might have taken more time than a fabricated part, LOL On the roof my customer is bringing me the original part to pull a mold off and I will vacuum infuse that part.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:52 PM

Just wanted to post a pic of the roof for this rail:

This part was not an overlay but popped from a piece of bent aluminum. Excuse the crappy yellow lighting in the upper right hand corner but it does show the matte finish. Taking pics of carbon with a flash mostly shows the fiber and not as much the texture of the part. Here is a pic of an untrimmed gloss part next to this part:

Sorry no flash this time but you get the idea. Customer wanted matte since it's going to get sandblasted regularly. THe mold surface itself is a P500 grit surface. This part was trimmed but since it's sitting on a blanket the bottom cut looks off but it's not. I still need to round some edges and drill some holes to mount to the cage but you get the idea. This layup is 2x2 twill outers and 10 oz. plain weave glass for the inner.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice

you have great detail in your work
Old 05-24-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

Here are the last pieces of the setup, these are aluminum side panels covered in carbon. There were two of them but only grabbed a pic of one. Each of these were over 90" long tip to tail which makes them the longest overlays I've done so far. These are matte finish as well.

The owner is getting pics of everything installed on the vehicle which should be cool. I'll post those when I have them.

Modified by crx12 at 5:16 AM 5/25/2006
Old 05-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crx12)

Awesome craftsmenship~!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> a punched out and Turboed Hyabusa motor!

</TD></TR></TABLE>