Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

drilling a carbon fiber wing????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post drilling a carbon fiber wing????

Hi i got a question about drilling a carbon fiber hood the part on the clear and carbon fiber wing. what kind of drill bit that is good for this. The hole is very tiny and i want to drill it and not miss. im afraid the carbon fiber wing will chip if i drill it. the reason i am drilling is that i got a bys wing carbon fiber and want to reviet the emblem on. i also got a question about riveting what do i need to do to reviet the thing on. the hole i assume needs to be same as the hole on the emblem. and driling the wing do i need to worry about it chipping or anything???

also to reviet or if not i might just put a stainless steel screw with a nut on the inside.
will that be better?
need help drilling?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: drilling a carbon fiber wing????

why dont you find out the actual name for the part your attempting to drill. its not called a wing, I can tell you that much. Furthermore putting something like that on your car is looked down on here so dont be surprised if alot of people here laugh.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:28 PM
derp resistant

i have no ******* clue what you are talking about, but when drilling carbon fiber, always lay down a square of duct tape on the front and back of what you are drilling. this holds it all together minimizes the risk of it cracking and exploding into a million pieces. drill slow and easy.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

duct tape?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 PM
derp resistant

Originally Posted by doood
duct tape?
it holds everything together when drilling. worse thing that can happen when drilling carbon fiber is the resin catches on the drill bit and splitners. this prevents that. its a trick i learned from my buddy that did a lot of carbon fiber repairs for ferrari of los gatos.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Duct tape is bad. Masking tape is MUCH better. OP, you want to use a glass drill. Also, reading, searching, and learning would have answered this for you.

Do yourself a favor, go to your local hardware store and get some cheap sheet glass. Practice on that. Keep practicing on it until you can drill multiple holes without chipping or sharding, before you go destroying an expensive piece of carbon fiber.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beyond305
why dont you find out the actual name for the part your attempting to drill. its not called a wing, I can tell you that much. Furthermore putting something like that on your car is looked down on here so dont be surprised if alot of people here laugh.
agree

bad idea but this is his choice
Old 02-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: drilling a carbon fiber wing????

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Duct tape is bad. Masking tape is MUCH better. OP, you want to use a glass drill. Also, reading, searching, and learning would have answered this for you.

Do yourself a favor, go to your local hardware store and get some cheap sheet glass. Practice on that. Keep practicing on it until you can drill multiple holes without chipping or sharding, before you go destroying an expensive piece of carbon fiber.
Ok masking tape what kind is good. Can i use the painters blue tape? And i was thinking about laying a set of tape front and back and the part where i am about to drill also put some washers the front taped on. That way i hope the washers will perfect guide me where im cutting. Will it work? Also where do i get a glass drill bit??