Notices

diy filled b series block, with writeup, comments welcome

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (staticchmbr)

They fill the intake ports with that crap on peripheral port rotaries and sometimes when they do huge intake ports..(that last about a year).My outlook... If it was for a race car that you can afford... do it. For a daily driver to be driven 2 or more years id be a little worried about it. My position on it -Neutral.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Dreamworx)

Seeing as how Endyne recommends (and uses) aluminum epoxy for their oil pump 'sculpting', and that devcon is basicly the best you can get, I'd say its probably good for the typical oil temp of a race honda, ~230* wet. The difference is that they use it just for shape, where as this tries adding strength.

The other issue is that the top 1/4" of the sleeve sees SO much more pressure than the rest of the sleeve. This means any crack you'll see will start there, which is unsupported.

In addition, this also proved to be like other cc-fab ventures - waste of time, ending in cracked piles of ****.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (staticchmbr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by staticchmbr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone else with results? mine is filled and assembled on a stand. thinking if i should tear it down and open up the holes more....but i dont want to ruin my headgasket</TD></TR></TABLE>

I say slap it together and show us how its done!
Old 12-03-2006, 05:38 PM

yeah how'd this come out for other people? i have a ls/vtec i might be doing this on....high compression so kinda worried about pushing too much psi on the stock sleeves...anyone with mileage and other #'s for our enjoyment?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if its NA just got for stock sleeves dont even stress about the sleeves unless you are making 300+whp NA
Old 02-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is pple runin d16 up to 405whp on stock sleeves doesnt that tell you that even with out devcon u can reach high hp... or using this fillin might decress the chances of crackin the sleeve on long run? any input?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (viskii420)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by viskii420 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is pple runin d16 up to 405whp on stock sleeves doesnt that tell you that even with out devcon u can reach high hp... or using this fillin might decress the chances of crackin the sleeve on long run? any input? </TD></TR></TABLE>
A block guard would be a better choice, that devcon stuff starts to soften up at about 200 degrees.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

isnt the down of the block guard that under alot of street of the block makes the block guard virbirate so it leads on crackin of the sleeves...?
Old 02-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that was a very interesting an helpful 25 pages think im gonna try it with my mew ls-t setup
Old 02-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

In addition, this also proved to be like other cc-fab ventures - waste of time, ending in cracked piles of ****. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol.

The process does intrigue me, but I'm skeptical that the results are actually there.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:57 AM

I have a friend running this stuff in his block, he filled it almost all the way up and he is running 15psi daily driving, and around 25psi @ the track... It is his daily driver and he has had no problems, especially with cooling... But you don't have to take it from me...
Old 03-08-2007, 06:18 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (BlueDragon436)

did he drill the block out?

if its filled that much, without drilling, he's having cooling problems..

details?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

he wouldnt know if his cylinders are cool or not untill the pistons seize up and gall the cylinders the heat wont get expelled into the coolant and then radiator because this stuff is insulating the cylinder from full contact with the coolant.

Look through the prev 20xxx pages and youll see a do it bandwagon starts then stops and then starts again. With more failure then success but everyone on here that wants to be cool and show their buddies there vtecyo cylinder block filling keeps hyping it up with misinformation and nothing substantial to add as proof.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dreamworx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dreamworx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They fill the intake ports with that crap on peripheral port rotaries and sometimes when they do huge intake ports..(that last about a year).My outlook... If it was for a race car that you can afford... do it. For a daily driver to be driven 2 or more years id be a little worried about it. My position on it -Neutral.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lets not get confused here what they use on oil pumps and intake ports in not the liquid aluminum. Totally different product. The product they use is usually devcon but another mix that is high temp stable. THis stuff is for making quick molds thats about it. Was never meant to be structural. Make a 1 inch stick out of the stuff and put some pressure on it. Baking it makes it brittle. What is the expansion rate of this stuff etc. ALot of unanswered questions. For a start it up and run it drag car nothing new here for a daily driver i agree with you also. Not flaming you as you have only posted the same info everyone else has just thought it would be a goood time to inform people here that there are different devcon mixes some more structural than others. This one is just more convenient as it pours readily.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:32 PM
New User

Default Re: (vtecmissle)

hmmmmmmmmm.........

d16z6 with vitaras and devcon

sounds like an idea to me
anyone else with this setup

to the perosn who discovered this stuff

Old 03-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (williejohnson)

Yeah, um this **** is a joke. If you are cracking sleeves then you need some practice tuning, 9 out of 10 of these cheeseball "budget DIY" setups are not making nearly enough power to necessitate stronger sleeves. Even the benson sleeves still stay open deck.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Runnerdown)

Ok so: Did any one do this yet and if so whats the out come??? i wanting to do it but theres some guy's on here saying it not cooling the sleeves form high heat and cracking or some thing ???? dont know its what 'ive been reading ?..

so just awaiting some feed back so i can get astart on this project.........

THANKS - in advance
Old 03-14-2007, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (SkunkedRex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkunkedRex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok so: Did any one do this yet and if so whats the out come??? i wanting to do it but theres some guy's on here saying it not cooling the sleeves form high heat and cracking or some thing ???? dont know its what 'ive been reading ?..

so just awaiting some feed back so i can get astart on this project.........

THANKS - in advance </TD></TR></TABLE>
Are you retarded? Read the entire thread. There are pleanty of failures, and a few success stories. Read, sucka!
Old 04-13-2007, 01:12 PM

if you read the msds sheat it says that the stuff is only stable to 120 degrees wet... not sure about this...
Old 04-19-2007, 05:20 PM

after looking into this more and more and also talking with the manufacture, i ordered a block guard from golden eagle...

just my 0.02 worth...
Old 02-26-2008, 12:45 PM

Default Re: (aimmotorsports)

There is a guy here in indy that has done this exact set up to his car twice (devcon at the top of the block), both with the same results. He had a b20 bottom end with a b16 head and forged internals. The sleeves all cracked just like the author's did. But he also didn't get it professionally tuned. He was pushing 20psi with it for a couple of thousand miles on a street tune as well. But damn when it was running it would scoot. He also changed over to sleeved block in the long run.

I personally am going to experiment with the placement of layers of the devcon. I know of a couple of spare d16 blocks that can be had for pretty cheap. On the plus side it looks like even though the sleeves cracked on these motors it held it all together so it didn't fubar anything. Just because these didn't succeed doesn't mean the stuff won't work. There is R&D in everything, just got to go trial by error since there isn't other info on this.

I currently have a z6 with eagle rods, block guard, and cp 8.5-1's. It has seen 13+ psi daily for 18k miles. On an fmu at that. I AM going to be blowing up this motor come summer time. And when that time comes I want to try devcon lower in the water jacket with holes closer to the cylinder wall. This way the water will still come in contact with the wall through the devcon and I don't have to worry about lining up the coolant holes. I think this would also help with keeping coolant in contact with the upper most portion of the walls where it is most needed. Worse come to worse it a weekends worth of work swapping blocks and a hundred bucks for the block and devcon. Not to bad for a couple of weeks worth of 25+psi in my opinion.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:40 AM

Default Re: diy filled b series block, with writeup, comments welcome (ccfab)

nice
Old 03-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diy filled b series block, with writeup, comments welcome (turbodan)

u just bumped a worthless old thread to say nice???????????

If u havent read the rest, ill make cliffs for you...........

Cliff-Devcon is not "nice" or useful as a blockgaurd, and blockgaurds arent good either.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diy filled b series block, with writeup, comments welcome (turbodan)

you've had two posts since january 07....and one of em is "nice"?
hahaha
Old 03-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diy filled b series block, with writeup, comments welcome (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you've had two posts since january 07....and one of em is "nice"?
hahaha</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats the funnniest **** i ever seen on ht

Quick Reply: diy filled b series block, with writeup, comments welcome