Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Transmission Wont Shift Into Gear Even When Off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Wont Shift Into Gear Even When Off?

I'm trying to get this B18a1 swapped CRX going and I have one last issue. I got my Hasport linkage today and I am having some issues with the trans. I put the linkage on and the shifting it really notchy even when the car is off and the clutch pedal is held down. It won't go into gear without taking it back and forth and messing with it for a while. Then eventually I can get it into gear. I will then start it up and the clutch works as it should (wheels don't move until clutch is let off) but it won't go into gear while running and it is very hard to get into gear even when off. The linkage looks ok, doesn't seem to be hitting anywhere. Only thing I can think is that the trans is bad (YS1 cable and the clutch cable is adjusted) Anything I could be missing? Should I be shopping for a whole transmission or is there something else to look at first? The transmission had a "fresh rebuild" so it's very possible someone messed something up inside
Old 09-19-2017, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission Wont Shift Into Gear Even When Off?

I started tearing my car apart and have the transmission ready to pull. As I was watching rebuild videos I noticed that the 2 12mm detents were the wrong size on mine. I pulled them out and someone replaced the detents with bolts.. No spring, no washer, no ball bearing. So I ordered those, not sure if that will fix the issue but hopefully that's all it is. Got the trans and motor from Craigslist, already had to fix the timing belt as it was 4 teeth off. Will update with results.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After doing some research it looks like not having the detents in shouldn't affect the shifting so I pulled the transmission apart

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...inshaft-1-scat

Part # 17 on this diagram is bad. The bearing collar had broken off and was laying in the bottom of the case. I have ordered a new one, is there anything else I should look out for?
Old 09-23-2017, 02:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the detents help hold the shifter in gear, if the bolts somehow have the same reach I guess they could work but it would have to be a good fit

did you mean 14 was broke ?
Old 09-23-2017, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope, the whole bearing that the snap ring connects to was broken. The outer collar had broken off and was sitting at the bottom of the case.