Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Stage 2 Clutch too thick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stage 2 Clutch too thick?

I have a 1994 Accord Wagon and can't figure out if I received the wrong parts or what. My neighbor rebuilt the motor and put my new (cheap-ebay) XTR clutch, light-weight flywheel and heavy duty pressure plate on a while ago. The clutch seemed to be always slightly engaged and very difficult to push in the clutch. Getting it into gear is almost impossible. With the the motor off it shifts fine. Start it up and its not drive-able.

He took everything out and it looks like the clutch is thicker than my OEM and putting too much pressure on the pressure plate, causing it too be partially engaged and difficult to engage any further. I have read some performance clutches are thicker, but I don't know how much you can get away with. Its been over a year since I purchased (neighbor and I are always busy and haven't had time) so I am sure the seller megatuninginc on eBay will not be much help. I have messaged them but they were not at all helpful when I messaged them a year ago. Any suggestions? I bought basically the same set-up for my Integra and had the same person install it with no issues. I have put 7k on it and it shifts great. Has anyone had a similar experience. Can I just purchase a different stage 2 clutch and keep the pressure plate and flywheel I have?

Here is the updated link for what I purchased.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/XTR-STAGE-2...nd!98503!US!-1
Old 03-25-2019, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Stage 2 Clutch too thick?

Have you verified that the clutch hydraulic system does not have any leaks? Have you bled the clutch line?
Old 03-26-2019, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes and yes. More than once. It worked great with the stock clutch I just wanted a beefier clutch and lighter flywheel while the engine and transmission were out.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, While I find it hard to believe, it's not impossible. If the disc is a LOT thicker than OEM, yes it can cause your issues if the pressure plate is binding before fully releasing.
I guess the question is how much thicker is the disc than an oem disc?

Equally important though is the step on the flywheel. There is a height difference between where the pressure plate bolts and where the disc makes contact. Can you verify if that step is the same height as OEM?

If you do decide to buy another clutch disc, yes, you can buy just the disc and keep your current flywheel and pressure plate.
Your car uses the same disc as B-series hondas. Some people here may disagree with me, but I personally have had great experience with XTD clutches from ebay. You can order a clutch disc for a 1994 integra and it will work in your car. Or you can buy a disc from any other brand, also for a 1994 integra. Exedy makes great discs if you want name brand
Old 03-28-2019, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It was noticeably thicker held up next to the stock clutch (it was a replacement with quite a bit left on it- I don't think wear and tear would make that much of a difference. I got rid of my old flywheel so I cannot compare. I imagine one that weighs about half the amount would not be any thicker though. I actually ordered a XTD clutch this morning, that the seller said would work with my XTR flywheel (pretty sure its made by the same people) and that it is not thicker than oem. Hope it works. I don't see why it wouldn't. I know the wagon has a slightly different gearing but I really can't see them changing the clutch thickness. Both sellers I bought from listed all models, including 5-door EX.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Post some pictures of the ebay flywheel on it's side and clutch disk on it's side compared to oem replacement you were talking about. Incorrectly stepped flywheel will cause the issues you are talking about and with ebay brands, I wouldn't be surprised.

How much money have you spent on XTD clutch's and flywheel for this car? You could have bought an exedy stage 1 and been done. This clutch will hold whatever you want to throw at it in natural aspirated form and will work 9 times out of 10 with your typical street turbo setup.

Did you happen to change clutch master or slave at any time during this process of the new clutch install?
Old 03-28-2019, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Flywheel is still on the car. I have a pic of it with the clutch when the motor was out. I do not have the OEM flywheel any more. I have spent around $240 total on clutch kits this go round. I spent around $200 on my Integra and have had no issues for 7,000 miles. The slave cylinder was replaced with the clutch.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that's actually a really nice looking flywheel. And the step size on it looks normal, doesn't appear to be too big by any means.

That disc however is definitely thicker.
Any chance the disc was installed backwards by accident?
Old 03-29-2019, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

If the clutch is installed and bleed properly, the disk or pad thickness will not change how the car goes in gear.

The pedal effort is due to incorrect install or heavier duty pressure plate/fingers.

You can have a hard pedal but the master/slave cylinder not extending the proper amount do to non OE spec parts or incorrectly bled system. Make sure there is plenty of movement at the clutch fork/slave cylinder at the front of the transmission when pressing and releasing the clutch pedal. Minimal movement indicates a problem.

You also could be over engaging the clutch. To test this if you have the car together, you could try to go in gear while stopped, clutch to the floor, and if you are not able to get it in gear without a grind or lock out, release the clutch slowly, while still trying to push the gear selector into 1st. If you finally get it in gear at a certain point in the clutch pedal throw, have someone measure the throw and put in a pedal stop. This usually is not needed with full face or puck clutches.

Again,
Go OEM on clutch slave or master cylinder. Go with reputable clutch kit. You would be enjoying your car already.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing solved the problem. Shifts like butter. Clutch is a little bit stiffer than stock. This clutch was the same thickness but the way it fit into the new pressure plate made it quite a bit thinner overall. The other throwout bearing was very sloppy. This one fit well. The pressure plate before had too much pressure from the way the clutch fit in it and pushed the springs out. That made it stiff. If I had known I could have just bought a new pressure plate. I was worried the flywheel was part of the problem too, though, so its not bad.

I definitely would not order from Mega Tuning on ebay. I ordered this one from Aimco Clutch on eBay. I have not gotten to really test it out, as I haven't broken it in. And I for sure can't comment on its durability. I think its the same as the XTR clutch I have in my Integra, even though this one is called XDR. I have had good luck with that. My wagon has a more a aggressive cam, intake, and header so I am definitely way below the power rating for this clutch.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help motoxxxman
Old 04-01-2019, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Benny Honda
Thanks for the help motoxxxman
Anytime. You're welcome