Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Need help identifying and sourcing parts for LS cable trans

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:22 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Need help identifying and sourcing parts for LS cable trans

I do not know the exact model of my transmission because the label was removed, but it is said to be from an LS, it's cable, and I believe it's from an 89-91 because it has casting nubs on the end of the housing.

It has begun leaking fluid pretty badly from the shift shaft seal and intermediate shaft, or so it appears, so I am digging in to replace and repair what I can.

The shift shaft seal seems straightforward, but I also noticed this bushing on the other linkage is torn and I'd like to replace it. Does anyone know what this part is called or where I can buy one?

My other issue is the intermediate shaft. The car vibrates under part throttle and I suspect the play in this shaft may be the culprit, so I'd like to replace it and kill two birds with one stone. I know how to identify the shaft once I have it out, but I can't find anywhere online to buy one. Does anyone know of a reasonable source for a new mid shaft?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2017, 05:21 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help identifying and sourcing parts for LS cable trans

I found this diagram to better illustrate the bushing I am looking for, #14. Is it possible to replace this, or do I need a whole new rod?

Old 06-08-2017, 10:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be able to order from acura, its just a bushing.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:53 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gearspeed-Performance
should be able to order from acura, its just a bushing.
Alright thanks, I'll try a dealership online.

Tonight I plan to pull the intermediate shaft and axle to confirm which one was installed with the swap (male or female end), then it looks like I can get the shaft off of ebay. Here are the parts I plan to order while I'm at it:

- Intermediate shaft
- Driver's side axle (already replaced passenger side)
- Shift rod end bushing
- Shift shaft seal
- Inner seal for the intermediate shaft
- New MTF of course

Is there anything else I should go ahead and replace while I have all of this apart? This will be my 3rd time draining the transmission already, really hoping it solves my issues so I don't have to drain it again!

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2017, 06:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way you're using an extended bolt and washer, use the OEM bolt. Its a flange bolt. FYI that diagram is for a D-series transmission. See at the top? 27, 30, 31 and 32, those are for the B-series transmission. Your bushing in that diagram is part 30.

PROBLEM!
Your bushing is screwed because it is installed it incorrectly. Find a diagram for an Integra transmission. That extended bolt, lock washer and small flat washer you are using has a big wide nearly 2" washer touching the bushing. That goes on the INSIDE by the transmission body. On the outside is a black (painted by honda) washer thats about that big but tapered, sort of like a bell (part number 31).

To install you will put the new bushing into the shift rod. Then you put the washer you have onto the transmission body (tapered part facing outward, slide the rod with the new bushing on, put on the part number 31 washer (you will notice the bushing is tapered too and itll fit) and then use an OEM bolt, yours will be too long. This is probably why it was done this way. Let us know how it feels after you corrected this.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:32 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BrakeExpert
By the way you're using an extended bolt and washer, use the OEM bolt. Its a flange bolt. FYI that diagram is for a D-series transmission. See at the top? 27, 30, 31 and 32, those are for the B-series transmission. Your bushing in that diagram is part 30.

PROBLEM!
Your bushing is screwed because it is installed it incorrectly. Find a diagram for an Integra transmission. That extended bolt, lock washer and small flat washer you are using has a big wide nearly 2" washer touching the bushing. That goes on the INSIDE by the transmission body. On the outside is a black (painted by honda) washer thats about that big but tapered, sort of like a bell (part number 31).

To install you will put the new bushing into the shift rod. Then you put the washer you have onto the transmission body (tapered part facing outward, slide the rod with the new bushing on, put on the part number 31 washer (you will notice the bushing is tapered too and itll fit) and then use an OEM bolt, yours will be too long. This is probably why it was done this way. Let us know how it feels after you corrected this.
Thanks for pointing all of this out! Took me a minute looking back at the diagram but I see exactly what you are saying now. And I could tell as soon as I looked at the bolt and lock washer they used that it was not done right, leading to the bushing failure. What problems might this cause?

I found this diagram on oemacuraparts.com for a 1991 Integra LS, which should be the transmission that I have. So if I order parts 16, 17, 18, and 29 should I be all set?

Thanks again,
Old 06-11-2017, 02:07 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

After disassembling I have one more question, is it worthwhile to replace the intermediate shaft with another used one just because I have it out already? I am not sure how to tell if it's bad, but there are no signs.

Here is how bad the bushing was mangled.

And confirmed its the normal 90-93 shaft with female end....
Old 06-11-2017, 03:32 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Also does anyone know where I can find the inner seal for where the intermediate shaft goes into the transmission?

Is there a fail proof way of installing this to ensure it will not leak?
Old 06-16-2017, 05:23 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Alright so I found all the parts I needed and ordered everything from oemacuraparts.com. Everything showed up yesterday and I got it installed last night. It was way easier than I expected.

Here is the parts list

Here is the new bushing with the proper washers and bolt installed.

Then I got the new shift shaft seal and intermediate axle seal put in which was also straightforward.

New driver's side axle came in from Rock Auto also, now just waiting on my new intermediate shaft to get it all back together.

So hopefully this will fix all my leaking issues.

Thanks for the guidance here.