Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Just picked up an ITR and ran into tranny/clutch problem... help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up an ITR and ran into tranny/clutch problem... help please

Ok so I picked up an ITR from a friend that garaged it for about a year. Put a new battery in and it started up and ran lovely...... for 15 minutes. Stopped for gas and a quick car wash and the tranny froze up. all of a sudden I could not shift into gear.

I would start car in neutral and it would not into 1st 2nd or reverse so i was sitting in the gas station flippin out hoping i would not have to tow it on the first day. So next i tried to start car in gear. With my foot still on the clutch, it felt like the clutch was already trying to engage and tryin to pull the car (keep in mind that my foot is holding the clutch completely down). So what I had to do was almost burn out in first gear just to get to second and it was able to drive from there... Burned a lot of clutch at every start but got it home.

This morning I tried to start it up in gear to see if the problem was still there.... It was still trying to engage but a lot less...

So the question i have here is, Do you think it's just a tranny fluid flush? I sure would hate to have to install a new clutch as i spent most of the money on the car itself.

Also, how do i check to see how much fluid is in there? If there's not much do i just put in new fluids? If there's fluids, do i need to flush them and put in new fluids? and last, how do i put fluids in?

THanks
Old 05-20-2009, 10:27 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Just picked up an ITR and ran into tranny/clutch problem... help please

Check the throw of the clutch arm, if it is good replace the clutch.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Just picked up an ITR and ran into tranny/clutch problem... help please

Originally Posted by Mista Bone
Check the throw of the clutch arm, if it is good replace the clutch.
Could you elaborate please...

I forgot to mention that he said it had that problem last year but wen i fired it up yesterday it was running perfectly fine until it really warmed up and jus froze up...

clutch arm.... shift linkage???
Old 05-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a hydraulic problem

like mista bone said ...have some one pump the clutch pedal while you look at the throw of the arm where it sticks out of the front of the trans at the slave cylinder

if its not moving all the way then its a hydraulic problem
if it is then its a clutch problem